Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Canadians taken hostage in the Philippines

Sorry to hear that, i was watching it on the news last night. Im going there in a few days so a bit concerned.

The UK FO advice has always been don't goto Mindanao recently so it was a risky trip. I'm assuming they were on holiday?

There was plenty of pirate like trouble on the Sabah / Philippines border when i was there last year.

The UK FO advice has always been don't goto Mindanao recently so it was a risky trip. I'm assuming they were on holiday?

There was plenty of pirate like trouble on the Sabah / Philippines border when i was there last year.
isn't a recent thing, still got a rough guide from 20 years ago, with a here be dragons line across it drawn by a local

He wasn't on holiday; he was living there. According to the US State Department I think there were 48 hostages taken last year, most of them wealthy Filippinos. The group that have taken him hostage apparently swear allegiance to Islamic State and have Islamic State-style flags in their video but some sources say they aren't particularly politically or religiously motivated but are instead motivated by the desire to make money from ransoms.

Back
Top Bottom