Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Canada, Alberta

Nah, I'm rubbish at fishing. Don't have the patience. But we're going to watch the opening game of the footy season (soccer to you) at Calgary Cavalry FC at the weekend. That's more my style :thumbs:

There doesn't seem to be a May Day event in Calgary either. There's one in Edmonton but I can't be arsed with a 3 hour boring drive - especially if I'm still jet lagged then. So footy it is.

Nah, I'm rubbish at fishing. Don't have the patience. But we're going to watch the opening game of the footy season (soccer to you) at Calgary Cavalry FC at the weekend. That's more my style :thumbs:

There doesn't seem to be a May Day event in Calgary either. There's one in Edmonton but I can't be arsed with a 3 hour boring drive - especially if I'm still jet lagged then. So footy it is.

We don't really do May Day like you do in the UK.

Enjoy the soccer game - interested if you feel that we can play as good as y'all in the UK.

eta: I hate fishing too - I see no point, the stores sell fish :)

To be fair, May Day is a bit shit in the UK. Also, I'm a fan of lower league footy so I expect Cavalry FC will be a higher standard to what I'm used to... as long as there's a good atmos and there's beer and a burger in it (I'm not expecting a pie), that'll do.

Busy couple of days, just hanging about calgary area, noshing, drinking and seeing the sights.

Last edited:
Swanning about in the Rockies today...

20220502_134345.jpg
20220502_135833.jpg
20220502_160250.jpg
View from the cave we hiked up to. My bloody knees were killing me at the end :mad:
20220502_151608.jpg
And me looking panicked in said cave...
IMG-20220502-WA0014.jpg
I was tooled up with a big fuck off knife, bear mace a big stick fashioned into a pike staff (in case some furry cunt of a bear fancied their chances).

Oh and here's me with 7ft big pointy stick.

IMG-20220502-WA0012.jpg
C'mon you big furry twat, 'ave it!!!!!!!

In reality, most of the day I was shitting myself at the thought of encountering a black bear or grizzly... and let's not even think about the fucking cougars. The scallywags of the mean streets of Salford late at night are much more manageable for me.

Last edited:
All that said, I fucking love it here, and when I retire in a few years time, I fully intend to spend as much time as possible here, sponging of my son :thumbs:

If you need a base for my area, we have the upper part of an a-frame open and we are an hour from both Montreal and Ottawa. Three hours to Quebec City.

I remember inviting Mation here when she was coming over for something. She graciously declined, opting to stay with her travel campaign's family in Montreal.

She was coming in the fall, and the fall colours are spectacular!!!
We would have taken her to Mont Tremblant to see them.

Turns out that her hosts took her there. Montreal is sooo much closer.
I often wonder if she remembers all the colours.

As you mentioned previously that Canada has a distance problem. Yip, big country and so much to see. That is how we keep people coming back :)

If you need a base for my area, we have the upper part of an a-frame open and we are an hour from both Montreal and Ottawa. Three hours to Quebec City.

I remember inviting Mation here when she was coming over for something. She graciously declined, opting to stay with her travel campaign's family in Montreal.

As you mentioned previously that Canada has a distance problem. Yip, big country and so much to see. That is how we keep people coming back :)
Err... I've been to Canada once - several years before I was ever on the boards. Not to Montreal. Have never had plans to go, afaicr.

I did spend some time in Boston in 2005. Didn't have a travel companion, but had a boyfriend with family there (in Boston). Didn't stay with them.

Not been to Mont Tremblant, nor heard of it.

Who have you confused me with? :D :)

Thank you! Mont Tremblant looks very nice by the way.

Today we were at Elbow Falls, Kananaskis Elbow Falls - Wikipedia
Followed by various towns and hamlets in the boonies. All very interesting and like something from a movie.

And here's a panorama of some cowboy country:

IMG-20220503-WA0001.jpg

And tomorrow we're off on a two day road trip to Drumheller and the badlands, followed by Buffalo Head Smashed In and finally Vulcan (for a bit of a Trekkie nerd fest).

It's ace! Also visited the White Rose Brewery yesterday. Beer was good, but so far, I've found Canadian beer to be slightly on the gassy side - but it's what I'd expected to be honest (burp). Nice brew nevertheless and a good place to hang out, with decent music. Consumed a bottle of Alberta Spring whisky (not bad) and now onto Canadian Club 12 year old, which I prefer.

Oh, and I also helped my son find a new apartment in a nice part of town. Busy busy.

Another thing, I've found many people here to be true to their Canadian reputation - i.e. kind, friendly, open and welcoming in a way I'm really not used to back home. I'm not saying we're all miserable buggers back in blighty, but all bar one (a massive cunt) of the people I've met have been absolutely lovely.

I'm also minded not to use the c-word with my son's friends, as it's a very offensive gendered insult in Canada - unlike in my own personal circles at home, where it's more gender neutral and mostly just part of the punctuation.

Err... I've been to Canada once - several years before I was ever on the boards. Not to Montreal. Have never had plans to go, afaicr.

I did spend some time in Boston in 2005. Didn't have a travel companion, but had a boyfriend with family there (in Boston). Didn't stay with them.

Not been to Mont Tremblant, nor heard of it.

Who have you confused me with? :D :)

omg - really?
I was so sure it was you!!!!

I wonder who it was????
It was so long ago, I doubt a search would help me out.

those pictures right there, that's what I'm talkin' about.

Serge is there during the spring, where everything shifts from snow, to beige, to green.

I look at the pictures, and know that a lot of the grey will be green.

Every where Serge goes is still in the beige. Soon it will be green and lush.

He said he would be back. If so, I hope he picks the summer (green, Calgary Stampede, etc.) or the winter where everything is white.

Like the States, Canada has a lot to offer, but most is seasonal.

Green is overrated :D

Spent yesterday in Drumheller and the badlands which are absolutely amazing. The Tyrell dinosaur museum in Drumheller is brilliant as well. I'd post some pics but the motel WiFi is wank. Will do later. Off to Vulcan later for some trekkie stuff to release my inner nerd :thumbs:

Pics from Drumheller:
IMG-20220504-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20220504-WA0024.jpg
IMG-20220504-WA0036.jpg
IMG-20220504-WA0016.jpg

And at the Last Chance Saloon in Wayne:
IMG-20220504-WA0030.jpg

Today we went from Drumheller to the Siksika Nation, spent a bit of time at the trading post, then off to the Blackfoot Crossing, saw the amazing museum there and the surrounding area. Then off to Vulcan for a Star Trek nerd out. Then drove through the prairies to Fort Macleod for the night. Photos tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG-20220504-WA0028.jpg
    IMG-20220504-WA0028.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom