Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Canada, Alberta

So after leaving The Hat, first stop on the road trip was the abandoned Dinosaur Country Store, just before the small town of Patricia. It's a bit sad but has a very ghost town atmosphere.

IMG-20220523-WA0022.jpg

There's abandoned old cars there and travellers on their way across the country leave messages there, such as this Rednecks Against Racism one:

IMG-20220523-WA0012.jpg

We stopped for a beer at the interesting looking old saloon in Patricia then headed straight for Dinosaur Provincial Park, an amazing place which is a bit like Canada's version of the Grand Canyon.

View attachment VID-20220523-WA0027.mp4

We spent a good amount of time there wandering round the badlands, looking at the beautiful river there. We tried to get a look in at John Ware's cabin (the home of a former slave who escaped to Canada, became a cowboy, then a farmer and much loved pillar of the community) but it was shut.

We also stopped off in the town of Brooks to see the old aqueduct (and get a mauling off the mosquitos) and also get some nosh before heading back to Calgary.

All in all, an eventful three days of me and our kid chatting shit on the roads, meeting great people and seeing brilliant places.

Today, I'm slouching about and packing my bags because tomorrow... I'm coming back to blighty.

Bet you can home a lot fitter than when you left!!!

:D

Glad you had a good time!!!

Your son did an awesome job showing you around.
Now, I wanna go there.

And when I do, I will be referencing this thread while setting up my trip.

I'm no fitter than I was before, thanks to filling up at diners and fast food places while on the road. Still, I got the lungs working and I've got a bit more colour on me. Mind you, I'm completely knackered now after no sleep on the red eye, so it'lltake a while to feel the benefit.

Yes, our kid did a spot on job, and I'm already missing him loads. To be be honest, I didn't want to come back - though it's been lovely to see my ever loving wife again, and I'll catch up with my other son soon. Anyway, you'll love southern Alberta. What's not to like!

Funny you say that because next visit (probably next year) our kid says we'll be crossing the great divide :thumbs:
You’ll have a right laugh! I’ve been here for 10 years and i know all the cool places. Did you try Canada’s legal marijuana? BC bud is famous for a reason.

you missed gettin' jury-slammed

Dozens of Calgarians were summoned for jury selection — immediately — during lunch hour at a downtown Calgary mall this week, invoking a rare procedure imported from England.

Alberta officers issued 50 summonses to people who were at the Core Shopping Centre on Thursday, documents which required the recipient to at once go to the Calgary Courts Centre, a few blocks away.

well :bigeyes:

The float in the parade, held in the town of Sundre on Saturday morning, consisted of a tractor pulling an individual in a fake beard dressed in a turban and a suit. On the side of the trailer, which was a manure spreader, was the message, "The Liberal."

well :bigeyes:

The float in the parade, held in the town of Sundre on Saturday morning, consisted of a tractor pulling an individual in a fake beard dressed in a turban and a suit. On the side of the trailer, which was a manure spreader, was the message, "The Liberal."

I saw that - I have friends in Sundre.

For those not clicking on the link, the float did not register and entered the parade from a side street.

My son tells me he's not surprised. He believes Sundre has an active KKK there.

I really think calling the float racist is a mistake.
I tend to view it as a political statement.
There are many who think poorly of the current government.
The people on the float were supposed to be Trudeau and Khan.

The anti-Trudeau sentiment is strong around here (eastern Ontario).

My neighbour flies this flag

flag.jpg

and has similar stickers on his vehicles.

Here is a sampling of what is available for sale.

There are many items - mugs, tshirts and water bottles are just a few of the products that anti-Trudeau people can purchase.

From talking to our kid about this, who's run into a fair few 'fuck Trudeau' types round and about Alberta... yes, Trudeau is a massive cunt, so fuck him. But the whole 'fuck Trudeau' thing generally comes from a very very different place from where you, I, our kid, or others on the left might coming from. It comes from a very dark, usually Trumpist, anti-vax, ultra conservative and often racist kind of place.

With that in mind, I'm inclined to go with the old "if it walks like a duck" kind of reasoning here. So, it would be really highly unlikely if this was never intended to be racist.

ETA: David Khan looks nothing like the guy in a turban and beard.

From talking to our kid about this, who's run into a fair few 'fuck Trudeau' types round and about Alberta... yes, Trudeau is a massive cunt, so fuck him. But the whole 'fuck Trudeau' thing generally comes from a very very different place from where you, I, our kid, or others on the left might coming from. It comes from a very dark, usually Trumpist, anti-vax, ultra conservative and often racist kind of place.

With that in mind, I'm inclined to go with the old "if it walks like a duck" kind of reasoning here. So, it would be really highly unlikely if this was never intended to be racist.

I think that the first time this anti-govenment thing started was during the pandemic.

Those who opposed any vaccine mandates went to Ottawa to protest. It was a really quick hop from anti-vaccine mandates to anti-government.

Many different pov were expressed during the occupation, but the common thread was anti-Trudeau.

The anti-vax will be holding another protest at Parliament Hill on Canada Day. There are very few mask-mandates left, so I'm not sure why they are protesting.

Most political parties will be ignoring them. However, the conservatives (tories) will be marching with them and will be talking with them.
I'm guessing that the conservatives see this group as a voting base for the next federal election.

I think that the first time this anti-govenment thing started was during the pandemic.

The yellow vest thing came first and seems to have involved a lot of the same people. In Dec. 2018:

Meanwhile, in downtown Edmonton, hundreds of protesters came out for the second week in a row to protest the UN and the “global world order,” as well as the UN migration pact. Global News staff say that some protesters called Prime Minister Justin Trudeau a “traitor,” yelled racial slurs and talked of “fake news.

“[This is a] call out to all patriots, nationalists, Canadians in the Edmonton and greater Edmonton area to stand united against the United Nations and [the] global world order,” read a page on the website of the National Citizens Alliance, a political party affiliated with the rally.

They even had their own convoy to Ottawa in 2019:

Crossing four provinces to voice a list of complaints to the federal government on everything from carbon pricing, stalled pipeline projects, and environmental and energy legislation thought to hobble the oil and gas sector, to intergovernmental agreements geared to regulating international migration.

The movement has attracted controversy for its messaging, which has sometimes taken the form of rude, crude, and uninformed complaints that include sovereignty sapping conspiracies perpetrated by the United Nations, climate change denial, and calls for the imprisonment of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on the charge of treason for failing to act in the country’s best interests

The yellow vest thing came first and seems to have involved a lot of the same people. In Dec. 2018:

Meanwhile, in downtown Edmonton, hundreds of protesters came out for the second week in a row to protest the UN and the “global world order,” as well as the UN migration pact. Global News staff say that some protesters called Prime Minister Justin Trudeau a “traitor,” yelled racial slurs and talked of “fake news.

“[This is a] call out to all patriots, nationalists, Canadians in the Edmonton and greater Edmonton area to stand united against the United Nations and [the] global world order,” read a page on the website of the National Citizens Alliance, a political party affiliated with the rally.

They even had their own convoy to Ottawa in 2019:

Crossing four provinces to voice a list of complaints to the federal government on everything from carbon pricing, stalled pipeline projects, and environmental and energy legislation thought to hobble the oil and gas sector, to intergovernmental agreements geared to regulating international migration.

The movement has attracted controversy for its messaging, which has sometimes taken the form of rude, crude, and uninformed complaints that include sovereignty sapping conspiracies perpetrated by the United Nations, climate change denial, and calls for the imprisonment of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on the charge of treason for failing to act in the country’s best interests

Nice post, I'd forgotten about most of that.
I find that most of the things they are protesting are the opposite to my perception and beliefs, so I usually ignore it.

Maybe what I should have said was that was the first time the eastern provinces joined in.
And, the western displeasure with the government took hold here in the East.
The mandate convoy became a unifying call that encompassed the country.

My neighbour with the flag also participates in tractor convoys to protest government action, but this is he first time he started flying a flag.
Both my son and son-in-law have "f*ck Trudeau" as their facebook pictures.

You also occasionally get those muppets in Alberta who have something that purposely blows black smoke out the back of their pick up trucks because... y'know... global warming is a scam and fuck the environment... oh, and I also saw a ranch outside Patricia with a fucking noose hanging from the crossbar :eek:

Some proper unsavoury fuckers in the boonies. Fortunately, most Albertans I met were lovely.

My son has been through Sundre a few times he says they’ve also been getting into trouble for selling guns to people without proper licences, real wrongun town.

ETA That's not to besmirch all the nice people who live in Sundre but it does seem to have a few notrights there.

Last edited:
MOOSE SAUSAGE

And how does that pertain to a thread about serge's trip to Alberta?

maybe you should have posted it one of the many threads that deal with the US :)

eating moose sausage would be a touristy thing for a manhattanite like me.
i had whale in reykjavik, y'know.

Ya posted the article in tourism, and now add stuff in an attempt to make it all about the sausages to make it worthy of a tourism thread.

If you are interested in people's food, I would suggest posting your question one on of the many food-related threads.

Back
Top Bottom