Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Canada, Alberta

Same here!!!!

We saw one up this Rockies - I think I could walk it one without ducking!!! (I'm under 5 feet).
We watched from a close distance, but then one of the yahoos with us that it would be fun to chase it. Moron!!!

A friend's Dad drove a transport truck. He collided with a moose. The truck was a write-off and the moose walked away.
Totally!

I was doing the backwoods Jasper/Banff thing and that’s when i saw a few. They’re like buffalo in that regards. Much bigger than people realise.

The one that freaked me out a bit (regarding Canadian wildlife) was i was going between surfing beaches on Vancouver island (around Tofino). The mate i was surfing with (who was driving the truck) wanted to catch a few more waves and i wanted to go for scran and beer so he pointed me in the direction of a trail leading to a First Nations cultural centre with a bar/restaurant.

So of I go.

The sign at the start of the trail warned against bears, coyotes and mountain lions.

I’m a dickhead so i don’t make any noise as I’m enjoying the serenity and head down the trail. At one point i actually saw a pile of freshly laid droppings of an animal with small birds eating the partially undigested berries in it. (On a narrow wooden platform the trail had turned into going over boggy ground). Still didn’t make the connection.

So i get to a T Junction with the coastal path and i head to my right following it. It curves to the left and then i saw it (this is in September when they’re fat). Huge black bear. Looking a bit bemused because behind it are 5 to 7 people making noise to get it to move away from them TOWARDS ME!!!!

So I’m crapping myself and i remember my bear info. ‘Don’t run or it’ll trigger the attack response, they can run at 30mph and can climb trees’. So i slowly back away until i’ve lost line of sight and i run for my life. I get to the T Junction and have to make a decision. Do i go down the known path (with the narrow trail) or do i go down the unknown path? I go down the unknown path and thankfully met a couple of Canadians from Alberta who weren’t phased by it. We made lots of noise and the beast went sideways.

I’ve subsequently bought bells and spray.

Did you ever seen any "paint pots"? Different colours of clay around a small body of water? They say that the first nations used it for war paint.

PAINTER.jpg

My personal photos are more dramatic, best google could offer.

And, the green water!!! It is perfectly clear, and green.

Stunning memories of the Rockies!!!

Good stories. Keep 'em coming :thumbs:

On the subject of being cougar and bear aware, our kid is pretty up to speed. He's turned into a proper little Grizzly Adams, out in the wilds every spare moment.

And because he's in Calgary, he's also become the Milky Bar Kid. He's always wanted to live somewhere where you can wear a cowboy hat, cowboy boots and them weird cowboy shirts every day (and not get twatted by the local scallies for it).

Good stories. Keep 'em coming :thumbs:

On the subject of being cougar and bear aware, our kid is pretty up to speed. He's turned into a proper little Grizzly Adams, out in the wilds every spare moment.

And because he's in Calgary, he's also become the Milky Bar Kid. He's always wanted to live somewhere where you can wear a cowboy hat, cowboy boots and them weird cowboy shirts every day (and not get twatted by the local scallies for it).
When i was growing up on The Wirral i was a ’rock kid’. Constantly getting into scraps with the scallies.

ETA: Home you recover quick and have your trip soon.

When i was growing up on The Wirral i was a ’rock kid’. Constantly getting into scraps with the scallies.

ETA: Home you recover quick and have your trip soon.
Hmm... that reminds me, an ex of mine, many years ago, was from Ellesmere Port. She was very fighty and completely menckul :hmm:

Mind you, I can't say owt really cos I grew up scrappin in Salford :D

Hmm... that reminds me, an ex of mine, many years ago, was from Ellesmere Port. She was very fighty and completely menckul :hmm:

Mind you, I can't say owt really cos I grew up scrappin in Salford :D
It was usually West Kirby bus station for me lol!

Ticket rebooked for 27 April :thumbs:

ken-daneyko-toothless-smile-e18a0099jpg.webp

Aww... my son loves the "hackey". But he says there's no terrace singing at Canadian sport events. I told him he needs to get the bleachers going by leading off with some nice abusive chants at the away fans 😈

Aww... my son loves the "hackey". But he says there's no terrace singing at Canadian sport events. I told him he needs to get the bleachers going by leading off with some nice abusive chants at the away fans 😈

i actually switched teams because my local one had such vilely abusive fans in the cheap seats, who on one occasion directed it at me and my wife. i started following the next one over which was an incomparably better environment. (we have 3 to choose from around NYC - used to be 4 until the whalers moved to carolina.)

Well, my son tells me it's just as well I'm coming a week later, seeing as Calgary is being hit with a big fuck off snow storm. Though I have to say, it does look very pretty:

View attachment 319328

and they are expecting more snow tonight.

Not sure if your covid was well timed - if you came over this week, you would be hearing everyone complaining about the snow.

Next week will be better :)

Tim Horton's are on their way out. They are not Canadian any more, people are moving on.

Also, as interesting as your link is, Serge is going to Alberta.
Calgary is a long way from Manitoba.

Locally, in my corner of Ontario, we have one timmies and two dope shops.

I know Canadian geography thanks.

I'd assumed it was all just cowboy shops in Calgary, but I'll be sure to do my own research on the local shitshop to Tim Horton ratio.

Not my thing really. Years ago, I was mad for the bob hope... among other things. But one day in Montpellier, after a very serious headfuck on too much of this, that and the other, well hallelujah, I guess I saw the light and gave it all up 😇

... for whisky :D

So I'm looking forward to sampling (hic) some of the fine Canadian tipples. Any recommendations?

Not my thing really. Years ago, I was mad for the bob hope... among other things. But one day in Montpellier, after a very serious headfuck on too much of this, that and the other, well hallelujah, I guess I saw the light and gave it all up 😇

... for whisky :D

So I'm looking forward to sampling (hic) some of the fine Canadian tipples. Any recommendations?
I’m not an aficionado (Canadian Club is the bog standard). The craft beer and whisky industries are well developed here. It’s actually a bit of a Pacific NW cliche about the breadth of choice. The whisky I’d recommend is actually Irish. Try a Triple Redbreast 12 year old. Absolute nectar.

Back
Top Bottom