Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can I leave a cake batter uncooked overnight?

story

Changing the facts
It's so late! I thought I had plenty of time to make this cake but if I put it in the oven it won't be ready til past my bedtime.

Can I mix the batter and pour it into the tin and let it stand overnight?

It's a polenta and almond cake wit orange and lemon juce.

Thanks, Suburban.

I would wager that unless it something that needs to be folded or whisked in a certain way to keep it light, it will be fine.
But I'm not a great baker so you should probably wait for another poster.

I've got enough eggs to make the cake with none left over for breakfast. So I've opted to prioritise breakfast.

I've got all the ingredient weighed out and the oranges boiled and cooling. I'll finish the batter and bake it tomorrow.

But for future reference, we think it's okay to make it and let it stand overnight?

aqua is the cake queen, is she not? What say you, aqua ?

No folding or owt. Just eggs, sugar, polenta, baking powder, ground almonds and whizzed up boiled oranges.

Thanks kittyP and DexterTCN .

I've got enough eggs to make the cake with none left over for breakfast. So I've opted to prioritise breakfast.

I've got all the ingredient weighed out and the oranges boiled and cooling. I'll finish the batter and bake it tomorrow.

But for future reference, we think it's okay to make it and let it stand overnight? <snip>
Baking powder more or less chemically dies within an hour of getting wet. As long as you kept the wet and dry ingredients separate until the oven's preheating, you'd be sort of okay. Otherwise it's likely to be a bit flat. As for the egg, that's probably going to curdle a bit on contact with the orange pulp.

Thanks Greebo . Without having any idea about specifics, those issues were exactly my concerns.

Something obscure about baking powder, and something nasty about citrus and eggs.

I'm very glad I've prioritised breakfast over cake.

<snip> I'm very glad I've prioritised breakfast over cake.
The cake sounds as if it'll be worth getting right. Still, at least you'll have the orange ready in the morning, so that'll be less hanging around - once you've got more eggs. :)

No I wouldn't make it and leave it. Mix fresh will give much better results. Mixing twice (as the ingredients will sperate to some degree) is less then ideal too. It would work but I suspect you'd notice :)

Plus the raising issue Greebo said :)

I leave my muffin batter (Fnar fnar) in the fridge overnight and it actually improves them but I've never done it with a cake :hmm:

I leave my muffin batter (Fnar fnar) in the fridge overnight and it actually improves them but I've never done it with a cake :hmm:
Improves them? Really? I can't see how. Do you use butter or oil?

Though I suspect the flavouring is what you taste a difference in not the underlying cake mix :)

As I said it can be fine but I wouldn't. It's not like it takes long to mix, weighing stuff out takes longer :D

Improves them? Really? I can't see how. Do you use butter or oil?

Though I suspect the flavouring is what you taste a difference in not the underlying cake mix :)

As I said it can be fine but I wouldn't. It's not like it takes long to mix, weighing stuff out takes longer :D
I tried tons of times to make the kids muffins for breakie. They love blueberry ones and I have quite a few fruit bushes on the allotment so I was determined to find a recipe that produced consistent results so I wasn't wasting my lovely berries.

This is the one I use and it really is proper nice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/blueberrymuffins_67846
Ingredients
Preparation method
  1. Cream the butter and sugar together then slowly add the eggs, mix for three minutes. Add the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, stir to combine, then refrigerate for at least an hour, preferably overnight.

Technique: How to cream butter by hand
    Watch technique 0:49 mins
  2. Place a spoonful of muffin mixture into each muffin case, filling each to just over half way. Stud each muffin with about eight blueberries.

3. Bake in an oven set at 200C/400F/Gas 6 for 20 minutes, or until golden on top. Serve with cream.

:D So I see you've move into the 27th trimester where you think you're so preggers you can just demand shit from anyone:rolleyes:

Can't anyway, I'm cooking a ham in coke :D Maybe when you're hormagasmical nightmare in 4 weeks ;):thumbs: Poor Bees :D
Poor bees? He's fucking ill. Poor me you mean! So much for trying to rest

But yes, give me all the things.......

Back
Top Bottom