Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vegan pub in Welsh valleys
People said they'd go broke when they decided to go fully vegan but they haven't and are often booked up

The meat industry shills are hard at it again

And for all those ignorant morons who keep on insisting that veggie/vegan food can't be good as meat dishes, this should prove an enlightening read:

Last year, one of the world’s most critically acclaimed restaurants, three Michelin-starred Eleven Madison Park pulled off a culinary feat – becoming the first plant-based restaurant in the world with three Michelin stars.

Around the world, restaurants are seeing green. Ranked the number one restaurant in the world in 2022, Copenhagen’s three-Michelin-starred Geranium removed meat from its menu at the start of last year, although it still serves seafood options for discerning pescatarians.

Last edited:
Here's some good news for anyone concerned about climate change. Let's hope this labelling gets enforced.

Researchers at the Johns Hopkins University found placing “high climate impact” labels next to hamburgers caused orders of non-beef alternatives such as veggie burgers to increase by 23% compared to a control group. They also found that placing "low climate impact” next to dishes with a lower carbon footprint, such as salads and chicken sandwiches, increased orders of those items by 10%.

“These results suggest that menu labeling, particularly labels warning that an item has high climate impact, can be an effective strategy for encouraging more sustainable food choices in a fast food setting,” the study’s lead author, Julia Wolfson, a professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, said last Thursday in a press release.

Interesting piece on the BBC looking at the lowest carbon proteins:

p0dpd0wx.jpg

Mixed reviews for that restaurant. And it's all highly processed. One reviewer described a dish as smelling of 'lemon pledge'. Charges over $300 per head for meals cooked by chefs on minimum wage. And their food waste claims are essentially bullshit by the sounds of it.

Former employees also complained in the Insider piece of long hours, food waste, and being sent on wild goose chases to Whole Foods locations around the city for peppers that are just the right length to match photos already published online.

I’ve learned to be skeptical of the ways in which a vegan or plant-based approach can be used as a way to gain attention and to green-wash labor practices. Vegan companies like No Evil Foods and the vegetarian Amy’s Kitchen have both been in the news in the last year for union busting and unfair labor practices, respectively. “Plant-based food” just means there won’t be any meat on the plate. There are no requirements beyond that for sourcing of ingredients or paying staff—though they tend to be assumed, wrapped up in the warm feeling of the phrase’s connotations and pro-planet vibes.

a lot of hard work for the sake of someone else’s lifestyle

Sums up 'fine dining' in general, meat or no meat.

What Went Wrong With Eleven Madison Park’s Vegan Menu

I would be curious to try a high-end restaurant once in my life. I suspect a strong element of emperor's new clothes in a lot of it, though. Friends of mine went straight to the chippy after forking out over 100 quid on a tasting menu. They were still hungry.

I would be curious to try a high-end restaurant once in my life. I suspect a strong element of emperor's new clothes in a lot of it, though. Friends of mine went straight to the chippy after forking out over 100 quid on a tasting menu. They were still hungry.
I went to one on a press freebie years ago and I hated it. Can't remember the name but the prices were off the scale. Stupid people paying stupid money. Hideous atmosphere.

There are good and bad, like everything else. There are also differing views on what high-end is. Some take the piss (many of Ramsey's offerings) others are truly unique and worth a visit (Otto's, Benares, Gymkhana ...)

Do I really want to be eating in a room surrounded by hedge fund managers? Not my idea of fun. I've also disliked the high-end service I've experienced (limited sample size admittedly). I found it very efficient but cold and impersonal.

Do I really want to be eating in a room surrounded by hedge fund managers? Not my idea of fun. I've also disliked the high-end service I've experienced (limited sample size admittedly). I found it very efficient but cold and impersonal.

Again, it all varies hugely. If you want to avoid stuffy service then you won't be doing The Savoy (friedaweed's favourite), or Simpsons. Don't like hedge fund managers, avoid The City (although you'll be missing out on some of London's best eateries). Plenty of other options.

It's the Savoy I was thinking of! Went there years ago on a deal. The food was excellent, the wine was superb, and with the deal the price was manageable. But the service was cold and claustrophobic.

(Pet hate: Don't refill my wine glass, please. Thinking about it, I should have just said so at the time, but I was a bit too intimidated by the place.)

It's the Savoy I was thinking of! Went there years ago on a deal. The food was excellent, the wine was superb, and with the deal the price was manageable. But the service was cold and claustrophobic.

(Pet hate: Don't refill my wine glass, please. Thinking about it, I should have just said so at the time, but I was a bit too intimidated by the place.)

Tbf, it's not a high-end thing for waiters to refill your glass. They do that at Angus Steakhouses.

Tbf, it's not a high-end thing for waiters to refill your glass. They do that at Angus Steakhouses.
Not high-end, just a regular restaurant in Sardinia. The waiter brought the wine to the table and opened the bottle in front of us. On a tray alongside the bottle were three glasses - two regular-sized ones, plus a third tiny glass. The waiter opened the bottle, sniffed the cork and proceeded to pour wine into the small glass. Having swigged the sample, he then asked me to taste it as well, rather defeating the object, I thought.

We were a bit too surprised by the entire performance to say anything. Looking back, I now admire his chutzpah. Will have got through a decent amount of booze by the end of his shift. :D

Is there a point to this?
The menu they offer or my comment?

Just counterpointing your OP on the place. They still sell meat from animals, both sea based cold blooded and land based warm blooded.

Yes you can make amazing plant based food to a Michelin standard, you choose if that means anything really, but they still sell meat and fish.

p0dpd0wx.jpg

Of course I would be allergic to the friendliest stuff. I'm really interested in the future of cultured meat but that energy use isn't encouraging. I hope it's just because it's new rather than an inherent feature.

p0dpd0wx.jpg

I'd like to know how the energy use for cultured meat is higher than it's carbon footprint unless they get their power from on-site wind / solar. :hmm:

Would be interested to hear where they went - I've never had a tasting menu that I didn't come away from feeling nicely full.

The menu they offer or my comment?

Just counterpointing your OP on the place. They still sell meat from animals, both sea based cold blooded and land based warm blooded.

Yes you can make amazing plant based food to a Michelin standard, you choose if that means anything really, but they still sell meat and fish.
My point was that world class, award winning meals don't have to involve slaughtering animals and cruelty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom