Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buying an everyday classic

dessiato

🇪🇸 my spirit is crying for leaving
There was a thread in 2006.

I‘m sort of in the market for a hobby car. I fancy something that’s a bit everyday rather than exotic. Something I could potter to the shops in.

Ive still got my, now very old, convertible Astra. It’s got 180k on it. I love it. But it’s going to need re-registering in the U.K. and some work. The roof doesn’t work properly, and the body needs some tidying up. It’s got a full history from new and has passed the last few ITV without issues.

Do I put some money into the Astra, or buy something else?

Your opinions, and suggestions please.

Not a lot, 2k to 4k depending on what it is and what it needs. There's wiggle room for the right car.

That's quite limiting. You won't be geting a recognised classic car for that.

In terms of something a bit different for "sports" type runaround, look at Audi TT, BMX Z3/Z4, Alfa Spider, MK5 GTi, maybe a fucked SLK ...

Z3s are a hoot, have plentiful and cheap parts. Going older than that makes parts a concern. Which makes Mercs a particular problem, as quality control really went off the rails for them in the 90s and you really don't want something older than that unless you enjoy scouring scrapyards in your weekends.

The most "interesting" stuff from the 90s would be grey market Japanese imports (an FTO would be fun!), but again parts are going to be a problem.
If you need loads of space, Volvo 940? Or even an 850 is pretty big for a sedan.
The GM/Ford products of the era aren't really desirable, but that does make them very cheap I suppose.

The answer to "Do I put money into an Astra" is always 'NO' no matter what the Astra. (possible exception, Mk.1 GTE, maybe?)

2-4k is fuck all and there is very little in that price bracket that isn't going to be a money pit that provides zero return on investment on the cash you'll pour into it. ie if you buy it for 2k, spend 2k on it then it'll still be worth 2k..

You don't want anything with any rust because bodywork is where project cars go to die. You can't do it yourself to any acceptable standard and it doesn't make any sense to break bodywork into smaller jobs. You want as little bodywork as possible. I'd take a seized engine with 100 point bodywork over an engine that ran like a sewing machine in a rusty shell.

You want something with massive aftermarket support so...

EK Civic
NB MX-5
4th or 5th gen Golf
E46 3-Series (if you can find one, E90 if you can't)
3rd gen MR2 (the market is sleeping on these)
350Z if you can afford the fuel
7th gen Celica

There's a K reg 190E going here. And an H reg Volvo 460GLi, very rare, so definitely valuable :hmm:. The 190E came with a pair of aviators, and therefore may be on some kind of watch list if you drive near a school.

They belong to the guy who works next to me, he does excellent bodywork welding/repairs but fuck me is he crap at getting rid of things. And I'm sick of walking past them. There's a Nova and a Corsa too. But those 'will only go up'.

I was thinking about something basic, an A40 or a Renault 4 for example, or a van. Just something basic and old for fun.

That's quite limiting. You won't be geting a recognised classic car for that.

In terms of something a bit different for "sports" type runaround, look at Audi TT, BMX Z3/Z4, Alfa Spider, MK5 GTi, maybe a fucked SLK ...
Not really what I'm thinking of.

I was thinking about something basic, an A40 or a Renault 4 for example, or a van. Just something basic and old for fun.
It's old. You're going to spend time and money on it. If you truly love a Renault 4, then good and more power to you. But most people are going to go for something a bit more swank if it's going to take time, effort and money to keep it on the road.

You want something fairly basic, but still comfortable and reliable? Volvo 240 says hello.

It's old. You're going to spend time and money on it. If you truly love a Renault 4, then good and more power to you. But most people are going to go for something a bit more swank if it's going to take time, effort and money to keep it on the road.

You want something fairly basic, but still comfortable and reliable? Volvo 240 says hello.
The thing with an R4 or an A40 is that they're easy and fun to work on. And could be used as everyday run around vehicles.

It'd be nice to get an E type or similar but I'd be too concerned about it getting damaged in a supermarket car park.

How about a Chrysler PT Cruiser?

Becoming quite collectable now I hear and well within your price range.

What's not to love about a ZZ-Top car :D

The Mrs wants one of these. I've told her she'd need to find a Sugar Daddy instead if the toyboy she's currently running into the ground.

I'm 68, driving for 51 years so I've had a lot of cars including an MG MGA, MGB and an MGB GT great vehicles back in the day, loved them all; would I buy one now? No, remember every 'classic' car no matter how well restored will cost you money just maintaining them. I've got from new a 1991 Fiat Ducato campervan I use as a mobile ham radio shack and its in great condition but...its done very little mileage and kept undercover.

There's an A40 Farina in a road near me. I think I've posted a photo on the 'Cars you never see' thread. As far as I can tell they do use it from time to time but it's definitely not a daily driver.

How about a Wolseley 1500 or a Riley 1.5? Basically posh Moggie Minors so parts are easyish to come by and simple to work on. I'm not sure you'd get a decent one for your budget though.

There's an A40 Farina in a road near me. I think I've posted a photo on the 'Cars you never see' thread. As far as I can tell they do use it from time to time but it's definitely not a daily driver.

How about a Wolseley 1500 or a Riley 1.5? Basically posh Moggie Minors so parts are easyish to come by and simple to work on. I'm not sure you'd get a decent for your budget though.
I saw a nice Wolseley go past our the other week. Lovely motor.

If I came into a wedge I would go out and buy this without thinking about the fact that I don't yet have a Garage. Then I'd go and pick my dad up and take him around Liverpool in it.

He sold his to buy Christmas presents for us lot in the early 70's when he was on his arse during the building workers strike.

Not exactly a classic but might be fun,

Both seem... worryingly cheap. I know they're not massively expensive cars, either of them, but that's definitely at the very low end of the price range. My dad leased a 330Ci of that vintage and it's a nice car, if lacking a bit in terms of the old 80s-90s BMW road feel. But then I often forget just how undesirable petrol-drinking cars can be here. I only do 3500 miles a year, tops, so I don't really care about fuel efficiency. :)

Too many more things to consider. 2 door or 4 door, something sporty, something a little off piste
something British, Japanese, Italian etc. You are not going to get concourse for that budget.
Do you want a project or ready to run?, What era do you want?

There are dozens of A30's around, so plenty of spares I imagine. So many around that they even have their own class for racing.
1956-austin-a30-633f163591b0a.jpg

When does your old banger become a classic car then? I mean, there's Austin fucking Allegro's on that site up there. :D

Asking for a friend with a 20 year old Mini Cooper S.

Back
Top Bottom