Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Negotiating when buying a car

Ignored all of them
Although briefly considered getting wheel insurance as we park on the road and have very high kerbs - completely destroyed the alloys on the previous car
Decided not to and of course it took a mere 5 days for Mrs nick to kerb It (admit the possibliity it could have been me. But it wasnt). Just accepting that all 4 wheels will be knackered by the end of our ownership .
In fact I may go out and take a chisel to the doors and sandpaper to the bumpers - just to get the inevitable out of the way. Serves me right for having a car in London
A careful, skilled driver should not have a problem. On next door, there are many tales of folk getting Thier motors stolen.

I never claimed to be a careful, skilled driver

(although of course I am amongst the 95% of drivers who have way above average skills and it is always the other person's fault)

Racing boy bragging claims aside, anyone who has been driving for man years without causing a serious accident is a good driver in my book. Don’t let the rhetoric barfed out by the anti-car folk in here and elsewhere make you think otherwise. If you are operating a bulky machine regularly under a variety of circumstances, making the occasional mistake or causing the odd minor damage to the bodywork is inevitable for most.

If you have spent your motoring life so far driving without having been involved in serious incidents that were your fault, and have not had serious near misses due to genuine incompetence or lack of skills, you are a good driver, or good enough, end of.

Racing boy bragging claims aside, anyone who has been driving for man years without causing a serious accident is a good driver in my book. Don’t let the rhetoric barfed out by the anti-car folk in here and elsewhere make you think otherwise. If you are operating a bulky machine regularly under a variety of circumstances, making the occasional mistake or causing the odd minor damage to the bodywork is inevitable for most.

If you have spent your motoring life so far driving without having been involved in serious incidents that were your fault, and have not had serious near misses due to genuine incompetence or lack of skills, you are a good driver, or good enough, end of.
For the average driver it would be generally difficult to have a serious accident in London seeing as the average speed must be around 8 MPH. That said, it can and does happen.

For the average driver it would be generally difficult to have a serious accident in London seeing as the average speed must be around 8 MPH. That said, it can and does happen.
Most drivers will drive on A and B roads even if occasionally. Point being, if most drivers were actually shit at driving as some people always claim, they would not last a year without being involved in a serious incident.

To me at least the core definition of a good driver is one who will spend their motoring life behaving safely and sensibly around others, and doesn’t cause any serious accidents or near misses. Yes, there are various antisocial driving traits that are annoying, but mostly due to the driver being a dick in non critical situations, rather than due to lacking vital skills.

I have colleagues who have multiple accidents but to my knowledge they have never been in a serious accident. One colleague recently got a new car and within days it was scratched. They are not alone in doing this 😔

Back
Top Bottom