Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Butterflies and moths

Is it even a caterpillar?
Lots of insects have larvae that take a similar form.

(In other words I don't know off the top of my head :D )
Quite possibly a big grub actually, in fact that’s how he described it when he saw it and rather how it looked on video call. I just hoped it was a caterpillar because you and others seem pretty clued up on them, and I had no luck identifying it on internet

View attachment 383443

First time I've saw a skipper. Not sure what kind it is though.

Either a small skipper or an Essex skipper, there isn't enough detail visible of the tips of the antennae to determine which one of those! Approximate location might give a clue as small skippers have wider distribution in the UK

There are also large skippers, but their wings are more mottled with dark brown, and therefore an easier ID.

(I had a discussion about skipper identification with an entomologist really quite recently - he said even people who can tell the difference up close sometimes record sightings of these as Smessex Skipper if they haven't been able to get a good look at the tips and underside of the antennae :D There are also some differences on the underside of the wings but they don't often sit in the all the wings up position which doesn't help much in terms of ID)

Either a small skipper or an Essex skipper, there isn't enough detail visible of the tips of the antennae to determine which one of those! Approximate location might give a clue as small skippers have wider distribution in the UK

There are also large skippers, but their wings are more mottled with dark brown, and therefore an easier ID.

(I had a discussion about skipper identification with an entomologist really quite recently - he said even people who can tell the difference up close sometimes record sightings of these as Smessex Skipper if they haven't been able to get a good look at the tips and underside of the antennae :D There are also some differences on the underside of the wings but they don't often sit in the all the wings up position which doesn't help much in terms of ID)

Cheers. Most likely a small skipper by the looks of it, as there is apparently only a single colony of Essex skippers in Scotland.

I thought this was a large skipper I saw a couple of weeks back, but maybe it's a small?

View attachment 383611

Here's a good site - it could be large because there is some mottling on the wings although in that lighting it might be coming across more as lighter spots?

Small blue or holly blue?

View attachment 383612

And another small blue?

View attachment 383613

Bottom one is a common blue.
Holly blues have blueish/whitish undersides to their wings without any complex markings - maybe just a few small black pencil-tip size dots - and definitely no orange or big dark spots.

I think the top one is a common blue also as there is a very clearly defined white border to the wings, whereas holly blues often have some black streaks in that white border. That is a bit more tricky without seeing the underside of the wings though.

Also where they are seen can help - the holly blue tends to prefer urban gardens, where the common blue is often more forest based and seen more around trees and shrubs than garden flowers.

Anyone else doing the Big Butterfly Count this year?

14th July - 6th August.

We'll be doing it but waiting for the right weather, needs to be dry and a bit sunny and not too windy!
Probably, depends on the weather.

Butterflies in past couple of years have been conspicuous by their absence.

Absence, although disappointing, is still extremely valuable information.
Sometimes have to remind myself of this when doing various monitoring surveys.
True.

I know the varieties I "normally" get around here, and most of the rarities that have turned up occasionally ...
{moths are a different matter !}

True.

I know the varieties I "normally" get around here, and most of the rarities that have turned up occasionally ...
{moths are a different matter !}

Oh god moths are a whole other ballgame, there are some blindingly obvious ones I can identify by sight but there are loads and loads that look vaguely similar, then you get into micro-moths and that's an experts' game of its own.

I did see a humming-bird hawk moth earlier this evening which made me very happy.

Only seen a hawk moth once (for sure) and it was on the ground or a wall as we walked down the road.

It was a treat to see it so close, lovely thing.

i has a massive black moth about the size of a tennis ball in my room the other day
was nice to see such a big moth, only seem to get tiny ones around these here parts nowadays

i've seen those - never knew their name, do now
You can get lots of different 'tiger' moths but I think Jersey Tigers are the ones you're most likely to spot in London/South East. They have a very summer based flying period (late june-july...maybe August) and they are quite noticeable 😻

I have a soft spot for garden tigers as I saw one as a kid but haven't seen one again since :(

I used to get a lot of garden tigers before I tidied my garden up and removed the greenhouse and my folly building.
Now it's mostly cabbage whites trying to destroy my kale :p

View attachment WIN_20230718_14_25_12_Pro.mp4

I may extend my bike ride later and go to the nearest meadow / hedgerow .. apart from anything else I need to get my first blackberries.

Back
Top Bottom