Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Butterflies and moths

View attachment 340635

A moth I think, but I don't know what sort.

Large White (butterfly, one of the few species commonly referred to as "cabbage white" )

The other one does look like a speckled wood, although I am more used to the pale bits being more yellowy, but it could just be the lighting in that particular photo.

The wings of both butterflies pictured look a little damaged/frayed to me

Thanks! This was in Brixton last weekend. It was already dead on the pavement though sadly.

Edit: ah, just seen it's food source is lime trees, and that it's found in suburban areas as well as woodland. Figures.
I see one the other day hanging about in a hawthorn hedge in suburbia.

No butterflies to speak of yet - some moths, though.
I am rather further North and at quite an altitude, which explains that.
[Also I've been buzzed by the usual bumble bees etc already]

Rescued this one from the train today:

Screenshot_2023-06-29-12-57-19-943-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
I think it is a yellow underwing

The train was packed and I saw it fluttering around.had to wait until we got to Victoria, once everyone had got off I went to see if I could collect it and take it off the train. It sat very obligingly on my hand and sat there while I walked through the barriers, through the station and out the side entrance which I knew was close to some green space. As soon as we got outside it perked up and then fluttered off 😻

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-29-12-57-19-943-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-29-12-57-19-943-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 0
Yep a skipper, wouldn't like to guess which particular kind though as some look very similar apart from stuff like colour and shape of the underside of their antennae :D

Can anyone tell me what this caterpillar is? My son just saw it in a park, it flipped to and fro in a horseshoe shape.

IMG_0966.png

Is it even a caterpillar?
Lots of insects have larvae that take a similar form.

(In other words I don't know off the top of my head :D )

Back
Top Bottom