Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Butterflies and moths

can we talk about the hummingbird hawk moth?

It has entirely blown my mind since noticing last week for first time, upon which I basically googled wtf is this looks like a tiny hummingbird uk
They're amazing. Never seen one in my garden but have tried to add butterfly and moth attracting food plants. Have had some success....mainly with mint moth and I am going to take the clearwing as my effort even though the apple tree has been here way longer than me :D

Every time I think about the garden visitors it just makes me want to go buy more plants though!

they are amazing, saw it / one again today. The energy it must take to hover still like that with your proboscus out and then when moving between flowers it is so FAST.

I saw a hummingbird hawk moth in my local park a few years ago while doing a butterfly and moth survey.

It was in a wildflower meadow area which included Lady's Bedstraw (Galium verum), which is one of the caterpillar food plants. Others are Hedge Bedstraw (Galium album), Wild Madder (Rubia peregrina) and Red Valerian (Centranthus ruber).

They are pretty special.

Yep, there has been a second brood of commas (at least on my allotment) - absolutely loads of them.

A poplar hawk moth landed on the back of my neck as I was bending over for a wee (in the wood). Leakage occurred. And screaming.
ty for confirming my ID! Since I started doing environmental stuff (biodiversity surveys etc.) I am finding a lot of old knowledge that I had stashed away somewhere in the depths of the old noggin is reawakening, along with some new stuff being learned - love this thread and the bird watching one particularly in terms of getting some exercise at that iykwim.

So apparently commas like nettles ... which makes sense as the closest species to hops (and weed) in my (doubtless out of date) book.
In my garden it's hop and comma central ...

The most widely used foodplant is Common Nettle (Urtica dioica). Other species used include Hop (Humulus lupulus), elms (Ulmus spp.), currants (Ribes spp.), and Willows (Salix spp).

Back
Top Bottom