Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Burger Thread. Yes!

fattier meats generally have sweet accompaniments (mint sauce, apple sauce, plum sauce etc), the traditional/natural accompaniments for beef are horseradish, mushrooms, mustard, can't think of a sweet one.

fattier meats generally have sweet accompaniments (mint sauce, apple sauce, plum sauce etc), the traditional/natural accompaniments for beef are horseradish, mushrooms, mustard, can't think of a sweet one.

Erm, US style mustard and ketchup are both sweet....

Plenty of sugar in a lot of cheeses that go on burgers. Not to mention the bun.

My experience is different to yours Drew. McD's does reassuringly nasty, greasy and distinctively weird burgers that remind you of childhood. BK does the nasty thing, only less distinguished and drier. The Bacon double I had from the Peckham BK last week rivalled a camel's hoof (walking through the sahara sand) in the unpleasantly dry stakes. Continually disappointing ime, no matter how many times I cut them some slack - BK lacks the arm-dripping grease necessary for a good American style burger.

McD's ain't great by any means, but they're far better at the sloppy US burger experience in my book.

:D

Yeah I'd certainly agree that you've far more chance of getting a drier burger at BK, but whenever I get one like that I simply ask them to give me a fresh one instead.

Only once (in a Croydon branch iirc) has it led to a "Falling down" like confrontation.

For me Mc D's burgers are too sweet and don't fill me up in the same way. They're like crack though, I'm always left craving a next one straight away, even if I didn't enjoy the first one for some strange reason :confused:

They're called tracklements, a tracklement is an an additional side serving of something that is sourced within the near vicinity of the main ingredient. E.g. horseradish and beef.

I am le clever. :)

BK is largely unforgiveably average in my book Drew I'm afraid. Too prone to gimmicks (branston anyone?) and dullness, not helped by their weird two stage cooking process - ersatz flame grilling followed by reassembly and reheating. Maybe that's why they lose some grease. Give me a real charcoal grill and even a kebab shop burger anytime. And agree with you about McD's and their sugar rush cravings mind, part of the weird charm for me. I

Despite its trendy reputation, the burgers in Meat Liquor are beauties and things of wonder. It's honestly worth a pilgrimage, preferably at a weird time to avoid queues, for the Dead Hippy (their super sloppy take on the big mac). Huge portions on the side dishes - an unashamed pigout location where you'll fairly glug with a sea of stomach grease when you leave. A messy faced thumbs up from me - the best burgers I've had in London.

Had some lovelly aberdeen angus burgers from Waitrose recently, hardly any shrinking when cooking and not too much fat came off them either. Yummy but not in a bun, with mashed potato and peas.

Can anyone remember the Great American Disaster, on the Fulham Road I believe? They served the first good burgers I ever ate (I was used to Wimpy brunches before that lol) and I was well impressed.

Nice apple pie and cream too (and you helped yourself to a mint imperial from a little bowl near the till when you left).

You'll be telling me that you actually don't like burgers next Bob. There's always the roast beef sandwich for traditionalists

You'll be telling me that you actually don't like burgers next Bob. There's always the roast beef sandwich for traditionalists
Hmm, love roast beef sarnies - they used to do them at the petrol station at Gatwick - last time I went there were none - what a dissapointment!

what's it like? texture-wise? just because you can technically eat it doesn't necessarily mean it adds anything, just less work for the chef :p

It's soft, it's not crunchy and hard/inedible like a proper shell. They're basically crabs just after they've shed their shells.

Basically they've shelled themselves and then you eat them. :D

Place near me has a burger challenge. Every time someone completes the challenge they up the size and the winner gets to name the new challenge burger.

I can't remember what size the challenge started off at but its now the:

90oz The Owen OD Burger90oz
Lettuce, tomato, 7 stacked 12oz burgers topped with a fried egg

Complete that and you'll get to name the 96oz that will replace it.

Back
Top Bottom