Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Burger Thread. Yes!

I really want to try this creation - The Bill Murray Life Aquatic Surf ‘n Turf Burger with soft shell crab.

6414235749_8a6f8820ea.jpg

DROOL

just the idea of soft shell crab creeps me out :shudder:

shellfish has shells for a reason that reason being you don't fucking eat them.

Homemade burger - a decent steak minced yourself, finely chopped onion and a splash of water, with a little bit if egg to bind and pinch of salt - on homemade white bap (with a little more sugar than usual), a slice if mature cheddar, with two rashers of crispy streaky bacon, and English mustard, lamb's lettuce, beef tomato and gerkhin.

Burgers have a poor reputation which is a shame because a good burger made with good quality meat is a thing of beauty. However, like butchers, they're hard to come by.

I'm lucky in that there is a nearby butchers that has won loads of awards, supplies the Queen with sausage (fnar), and generally just does very good quality meat:

http://www.rothburyfamilybutchers.co.uk/

Rothbury Family Butchers - Officially one of “Britain’s Best Butchers !”

Now a Multi Award Winning Butchers we offer a wide range of locally produced Meat and Poultry, as well as the finest Award Winning Homemade Sausage around. Having won Regional, National and International awards our flavours include Pork, Cranberry & Stilton, Venison & Red Wine, Pork & Caramelised Onion and our now famous "Cragside Cracker" we have something for everyone.

Their sausages are pretty damn good but my favourite is their Wildboar and Apple burgers, they're fucking amazing. It is impossible to encapsulate in words how good they are.

Wildboor and Apple
Fresh crusty bread bun (white)
Slice of good quality cheese
Caramalised onions
Chilli sauce
Spinach leaves (I adore spinach)

Bombastic :cool:

I reckon it is better than their steak burger which has won international awards for being boss:

http://www.rothburyfamilybutchers.co.uk/store_moredetails.asp?ProdID=98

I've tried making my own burgers and they're ok, but the steak burgers my butcher makes are fucking magic. So I don't bother making my own anymore.

I like a bit of bacon, fried onions and cheese on mine, no need for salad. Brie for the cheese if im feeling extravagant.

For mass market burgers mcds wins over bk every time.

wayward bob said:
why would you add water to a burger mix? :confused: i've never used egg either.

I'm not sure of the culinary science behind it. Only that a chef recommended that I try it, and I've never looked back.

And the egg is becasue I like it very rare. Without the egg I find it falls apart as I flip it as soon as one side is brown.

Burger King have really shit quality control and are overpriced. At least Mcdonalds is cheapish and constantly average.

Granted I've not had either for years, and last I tried neither was great, but at least BK tasted vaguely of grilled meat. Rather have different fast-food than big chain burgers.

i've just remembered i have an awesome mincer somewhere :hmm: mmm burgers :cool:

i do believe we have blue cheese and bacon too...

eta: question about mincing steak: include the fat or no? i would assume yes, but de-sinew before it goes through?

I've got mince, might do some homemade ones soon. I think adding salt to the mix is unncessary actually, and it can make the meat tougher, so I'd rather add it to the outside immediately before cooking. Else, finely minced onion, garlic and chilis are a must - other than that there's a million different combos that are all lush. A good meat burger needs three things - good beef, something sweet (browned onions?) and something sour (pickles?).

My experience is different to yours Drew. McD's does reassuringly nasty, greasy and distinctively weird burgers that remind you of childhood. BK does the nasty thing, only less distinguished and drier. The Bacon double I had from the Peckham BK last week rivalled a camel's hoof (walking through the sahara sand) in the unpleasantly dry stakes. Continually disappointing ime, no matter how many times I cut them some slack - BK lacks the arm-dripping grease necessary for a good American style burger.

McD's ain't great by any means, but they're far better at the sloppy US burger experience in my book.

Back
Top Bottom