Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Burger Thread. Yes!

I need burger buns that are a bit bigger than standard. Help!
How fancy are we talking here? Warburtons do a large sliced white roll that works nicely for larger burgers.
If you're talking higher end stuff I probably won't be of much use with this query, sorry to say!

Actually just saw this post was yesterday afternoon now, so a response now might be redundant anyway

It's a genuine problem. I struggle to find things I like. Doesn't need to be a huge bap, but a good bit wider and just a bit thicker then a normal bun.

Maybe this is why we see so many tall burgers? Getting the buns to fit wide ones is harder.

It's a genuine problem. I struggle to find things I like. Doesn't need to be a huge bag, but a good bit wider and just a bit thicker then a normal bun.

Maybe this is why we see so many tall burgers? Getting the buns to fit wide ones is harder.

The wider, not taller, thing is better tbh.
I'm not a fucking boa constrictor that can swallow an antelope whole iykwim, my gob only opens so far.

The Balmoral Burger from a chain pub in Montrose. It was pretty good. Three burgers and a layer of haggis with a peppercorn sauce served on the side.

View attachment 416421
It's breaking from wider not taller rationality, but it does look good.
I'd probably want to go for a bit more cheese on it, another slice somewhere in the middle would be good.
But if it arrived in front of me it's not like I'd be complaining, it looks nice, although a good amount of it would probably end up falling into my sleeves as I tried and failed to get my gob around it :D

It's breaking from wider not taller rationality, but it does look good.
I'd probably want to go for a bit more cheese on it, another slice somewhere in the middle would be good.
But if it arrived in front of me it's not like I'd be complaining, it looks nice, although a good amount of it would probably end up falling into my sleeves as I tried and failed to get my gob around it :D

It was manageable, but they were only 3oz patties. Maybe my mouth is to big. I'm broadly in agreement with you. I strongly suspect the limiting factor here is getting the burger buns. It is for me when I make them. If you get wider bread, it's normally to thick.

It was manageable, but they were only 3oz patties. Maybe my mouth is to big. I'm broadly in agreement with you. I strongly suspect the limiting factor here is getting the burger buns. It is for me when I make them. If you get wider bread, it's normally to thick.
Yeah and you don't want the bread to meat ratio too high, or it can be quite dry and (at least for me) too much carbs/wheat at once - not that I am a carb-swerver, but there's an upper limit I can manage in one go.

Overpriced Burger King on the way home from Scotland. Tasted better then it looks.

View attachment 416986
The old standby fast food burger chains have increased in price ridiculously - which burger was that and how much was it?
It does actually look good to me, in typical filthy burger fashion, and I bet it tasted good.
Although BK can be a bit variable, there's one not far from me which is not great and the cleanliness of the sit in area is questionable at best - but I have been to some good ones, so their offerings range from being my favourite to my least favourite fast food burger chain offerings :D

The old standby fast food burger chains have increased in price ridiculously - which burger was that and how much was it?
It does actually look good to me, in typical filthy burger fashion, and I bet it tasted good.
Although BK can be a bit variable, there's one not far from me which is not great and the cleanliness of the sit in area is questionable at best - but I have been to some good ones, so their offerings range from being my favourite to my least favourite fast food burger chain offerings :D

BK can be way to variable, combine that with the way they actually increase price on a motorway (the place I'm most likely to eat them) and I actually shunned them for years. However I had one last year that reminded me they could be really good, so they got another chance.

It's an XL Bacon Double Cheese and as I'm already paying a small fortune, I added an extra patty. It was "only" £11.35 for the large meal as I got 20% Blue Light card discount.

Thanks to the most recent posts on this thread and a bit of burger nostalgia, our dinner plans for Monday when N is off work for the night have changed to trying to recreate the much missed BK Mushroom Double Swiss.
I mean it won't be a complete recreation because he'll want veggie burgers (I reckon the basic quorn burgers are the best basic ones to use for this).
I'll have meat version and as I have streaky bacon in the fridge will probably be mushroom and bacon double swiss :D

Last edited:
Thanks to the most recent posts on this thread and a bit of burger nostalgia, our dinner plans for Monday when N is not off have changed to trying to recreate the much missed BK Mushroom Double Swiss.
I mean it won't be a complete recreation because he'll want veggie burgers (I reckon the basic quorn burgers are the best basic ones to use for this).
I'll have meat version that as I have streaky bacon in the fridge will probably be mushroom and bacon double swiss :D

It will probably taste way better then any fast food joint.

BK can be way to variable, combine that with the way they actually increase price on a motorway (the place I'm most likely to eat them) and I actually shunned them for years. However I had one last year that reminded me they could be really good, so they got another chance.

It's an XL Bacon Double Cheese and as I'm already paying a small fortune, I added an extra patty. It was "only" £11.35 for the large meal as I got 20% Blue Light card discount.

That's expensive for what it is, and gone up massively - I've always gone for the whopper with cheese or double whopper with cheese because I can be a right pig at times, but have had to stop going to BK because quality is so variable and the prices have gone up a lot.
I mean I can get a massive portion of fish & chips (enough to last me for 2 days) for that money - and I'm in London.
It's well cheeky to charge more at motorway services too, captive audience.

Oh well at least you enjoyed it and got a bit of a discount!

Didn’t know I could get BLC discount at Burger King. Interesting. Motorway is the most likely place I eat them to as they’re aren’t many around here that I am aware of.

Didn’t know I could get BLC discount at Burger King. Interesting. Motorway is the most likely place I eat them to as they’re aren’t many around here that I am aware of.

If your NHS you can get one at McDonalds as well, but you've got to register your email from the app. It doesn't always show up, but it does most of the time.

That's expensive for what it is, and gone up massively - I've always gone for the whopper with cheese or double whopper with cheese because I can be a right pig at times, but have had to stop going to BK because quality is so variable and the prices have gone up a lot.
I mean I can get a massive portion of fish & chips (enough to last me for 2 days) for that money - and I'm in London.
It's well cheeky to charge more at motorway services too, captive audience.

Oh well at least you enjoyed it and got a bit of a discount!

Totally. It's always been a bit more expensive and then add on the motorway tax and it's a bit of a piss take. I understand why they do it, their costs are much higher, even Greggs do, the only one who doesn't is McDonalds, but I guess they can take the hit. I could get a kebab of such epic proportions here in Tameside (part of Greater Manchester) for similar money.

Thanks to the most recent posts on this thread and a bit of burger nostalgia, our dinner plans for Monday when N is off work for the night have changed to trying to recreate the much missed BK Mushroom Double Swiss.
I'll have meat version and as I have streaky bacon in the fridge will probably be mushroom and bacon double swiss :D
The Mushroom Double Swiss was the bomb.

A legend amongst fast food burgers.

Never had it, but it sounds good. Why would they axe it?

Similarly, the only thing I can remember eating at BK was the beanburger. I know plenty of other people, most of whom are not vegetarians, who liked it. Why did it go away?

Never had it, but it sounds good. Why would they axe it?

Similarly, the only thing I can remember eating at BK was the beanburger. I know plenty of other people, most of whom are not vegetarians, who liked it. Why did it go away?
The problem with BK, for vegetarians/vegans, is that they (at least used to - and as recently as a couple of years ago when there was a big fuss about it) cooked their plant based burgers on the same grill, or in the same oil used for meat and chicken.
So they weren't technically veggie.
I think they might have stopped doing this in the UK due to well basically "bad optics" about it, but I'm not completely sure about that - meat-free or plant-based on a menu shouldn't be assumed to be vegetarian or vegan unless it actually specifies that, and BK skirted around this for a while.

So why wouldn't they get a separate grill, or use different oil? I don't care, as I eat meat, but they could appeal to a larger group of people if they made sure the food was vegetarian/vegan. And if they've got something that appeals to meat eaters as well, they've got a winner right there, with a slightly better profit margin, I'd have thought.

Last edited:
So why wouldn't they get a separate grill, or use different oil? I don't care, as I eat meat, but they could appeal to a larger group of people if they made sure the food was vegetarian/vegan. And if they've got something that appeals to meat-eaters as well, they've got a winner right there, with a slightly better profit margin, I'd have thought.
Exactly - there was a big fuss about it not that long ago, I think they might now have separate cooking arrangements for plant based stuff, but vegetarians and vegans would be well advised to check.
I eat meat too, but if they are going to do meat-free burgers it seems like the height of deception to advertise that and sort of skim around the fact that they aren't technically vegetarian, which they did for some time.
I don't think they came out of it looking particularly good. It's not that difficult to either cater for different dietary needs, or if you don't then to be completely honest about that.

Sorry about the intrusive hyphen, now edited away. I may not be a purist when it comes to vegetarian food, butI am about English.

... wider not taller...
Now this is a campaign I could get behind

And on the subject of fast food prices massively increasing. I was out with Mrs Voltz on a fleetingly rare visit to The Mall at Cribbs Causeway the other day and "treated" myself to a burger king meal. So one OK burger, a small bag of chips and a self poured fizzy pop was a penny shy of £8.30. I associate that meal with being closer to £5-6

Hey ho! another sign of getting old I suppose

Back
Top Bottom