Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brockwell Lido Breakfast Club 2010

was in Tooting late afternoon, there was a queue but at least it moved and was in promptly, bizarrely met some urb75 gathering i wasn't aware of on the way out.

I think Brockwell really need to see how Tooting handle it.

What a totally ridiculous policy. We've paid for access to all areas, why should we need to get dressed to move between them?

What will they do if someone tries to leave the lido dresser in swimmers and a towel? Restrain them until they put their clothes on?

Because wet flipflops on shiny tiles = falling on your ass.

What Nat says on your blog is true unfortunately, that Brockwell will be raking it in this year and will no doubt be congratulating themselves on their excellent performance :(

fusion and lido management

it's not too late - swallow your pride, move away from being defensive and listen to your loyal customers - they are voicing what many are feeling and experiencing - why not work with them?

you are getting free and honest feedback on this thread - use it or loose it;)

A return to the lido waters this morning after a weekend away. So So.

Visibility - less than a metre ahead of me. I couldn't see if the pool was clean or not - it wasn't possible to see the floor of the pool.

Cold showers - no hot water in the gents.

An empty cafe - the Breakfast Club title of this thread in now laced in irony.

But hey - at least the lido was open.

I called over 15 times yesterday trying to book a pilates class for Weds, on line booking still not working so you need to book over the phone. Either engaged or not answering.

When I finally got through this morning and mentioned it, I was told 'we were too busy to answer the phones yesterday'

Crap crap service

I called over 15 times yesterday trying to book a pilates class for Weds, on line booking still not working so you need to book over the phone. Either engaged or not answering.

When I finally got through this morning and mentioned it, I was told 'we were too busy to answer the phones yesterday'

Crap crap service

Wow - too busy to take your money. Nice position for a business to be in.

Security guards were breaking up fights at Tooting Lido yesterday... I guess a fight at Brockwell would be cancelled due to chlorine issues, or something.

Christ, I'm turning into AJ.

Crap crap service

I booked online last night for today and Tuesday no problem. However, got to the Lido for this morning's class to find that our tickets hadn't been printed out, and there was one person on the desk to deal with both gym and pool people. Cue flapping, queues and general inefficiency. :facepalm:

Jesus christ, Fusion, sort it out!

Security guards were breaking up fights at Tooting Lido yesterday... I guess a fight at Brockwell would be cancelled due to chlorine issues, or something.

Christ, I'm turning into AJ.

The Chlorine Wars.

240px-KitFisto.jpg

I booked online last night for today and Tuesday no problem. However, got to the Lido for this morning's class to find that our tickets hadn't been printed out, and there was one person on the desk to deal with both gym and pool people. Cue flapping, queues and general inefficiency. :facepalm:

Jesus christ, Fusion, sort it out!

I'll try online booking again tonight.. I think it might be a problem from when I switched my first months membership over to a yearly one, but the staff keep telling me that the same pin will work.

Nankers, they've already taken my money, just won't let me book classes..

Just back from a lunchtime swim. An improvement on the day before - at least the water wasn't so cloudly. Which meant that I could see the bottom of the pool, and the two holes that have now started to form along the pool floor :eek:

They are both towards the shallow end, the largest of which is about 30cm in diameter. What is left is the clay / sand foundations now poking through. The pool was due for a refit before the start of the season. The confusion over the outgoing / incoming new management team prevented this.

I overheard some people joking about digging a tunnel into the lido the other day - as a method of beating the queue - maybe they succeeded?

really? when it first opened, they went to great lengths to make sure that didn't happen. There was lots of moans from early morning swimmers who were also gym members (myself included) as we were told we wouldn't be allowed directly from the pool to the gym changing rooms in order to use the sauna - it would have been great to go from an early swim, early in the season into the sauna (via the the shower of course).

I think there was a level of egneral chaos and milling around because the pool had been closed, and the staff were standing around bemused, and the swing gates were open in addition to the card-swipe gates.I only surmise that there were casual pool users in the gym changing rooms because 2 separate peple were trying to work out how to use the lockers and where to put thier £1 coin!

But I have shlip schlopped into the gym changing rooms several times from the pool, I didn't know it was discouraged!

I was that fetching shade of chilly lido day today - brown with an underlying blue tinge... lovely swim though, it's so nice when the weather's a bit crap and you can get a proper swim.

Latest from BLU:

BLUprint - July 2010
This year our Lido has not always been the perfect, full and sparkling blue miracle we need over these long hot days just when we needed it...there have been closures...

A 1937 system requiring particular maintenance, chlorination and tender loving care has been reluctant to co-operate with new staff members unused to its ways
Brown spots on the floor of the pool have appeared like sinister warts
The water level has fluctuated – tidal as the Thames, (and almost as muddy, some say)
To add to the troubles there was a break-in requiring yet another closure
What are BLU and Fusion doing about it?
BLU and the Brockwell Lido Steering Group have been reporting users’ worries and complaints and working with Fusion management to understand and solve them.

It has been a steep learning curve for new Lido General manager Catherine Fleming, who arrived just before the season began. Furthermore a replacement for former operations manager Paul Maier has not yet been appointed. However, staff from other Fusion venues have been drafted in to help. Lauren Todd has been appointed as Customer Relations Manager. One more person will shortly be recruited to make a full management team.

Fusion Chief Executive, Peter Kay is on the case and he and his staff are very aware of the need to solve these problems to our satisfaction.

Casey McGlue, pre-Fusion co-manager of the Lido, has been consulted and has given advice about how to keep pumps pumping, chlorine chlorinating (but not too much) and water retaining its pristine transparency.

The pool will be sandblasted and painted at the end of the summer – which should charm away the warts and, we hope, create blue heaven on earth in time for the fourth Midwinter Swim.

A new security system is in place.

The Gym and Studios
have not been without problems either – Fusion assures us that they are on the case here too.

Some plusses:
Access to the Cafe has greatly improved and it can be entered from poolside on all but the busiest days when swimmers can use the beach hut. Daniel and Duncan have revived the famous breakfast club with a serve yourself system and cards to record what you have eaten. (See below for Cafe treats upcoming.)

Longer weekend opening in August - look out for news via Twitter and on our website

New lifeguard chairs are appearing around the pool. These replace the old ones some of which were rotting and unsafe

BLU has a smart new noticeboard on the right hand wall before you enter the gym. We hope this will help to keep ‘dry side’ users up to date with BLU stuff. We
will also be sharing the notice board by the pool changing rooms

a minus
Funding for free swimming for over 60’s has been withdrawn. Lambeth Council has confirmed that it will continue to fund the scheme just until the end of August 2010.

and a half-minus
Brockwell Swim Club for which there is much interest and support will have to wait a little longer since priority must be given to pool repair and painting, so plans for a launch have been postponed.

(boo to the end of the free swimming for over 60s.... not just Lambeth but it's happening everywhere)

Some good news there at least. Was there yesterday evening and given it was overcast and way after 7pm was still pretty busy. It's definitely gained in popularity over the last few years. If only they could solve the problem of actually getting into the Lido i.e. the queues when busy.

Lorraine Kelly was there this week. She didn't get to witness me in my trunks, but she did cause the cafe to be closed for the day (but the hut was open).

Fusion has just announced that weekend openings at the lido will now start at the earlier time of 8am, through until the end of the season. Hurrah!

Sadly the full price still applies - a whopping £5.25 for a weekend early (ish) swim.

Lido season is drawing to a close I fear. I only managed 6 lengths before getting out as my hands were going numb, and I have to admit that I went to CP sports centre for a swim last week.

Oh yes, I've just had that too. This is worth flagging up, as I've not had a letter:

BLU said:
Swim season ticket holders should by now have a letter offering a 10% reduction on next year’s card or overall Lido membership. Please register your details at reception as soon as possible to be eligible for this.

Back
Top Bottom