Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Ritzy staff in pay dispute for London Living Wage with Picturehouse Cinemas

Good to see

I cant get my head round how people sit outside there happily drinking whilst people have these placards up - how can they not feel like total arseholes?
I guess they REALLY just don't give a fuck about the workers.

This lot below were the worst. How can you be like this:

brixton-demo-ritzy-33.jpg

When this is going on two metres away?

brixton-demo-ritzy-30.jpg

brixton-demo-ritzy-28.jpg

In Photos: Brixton Ritzy Living Wage dispute – big crowds turn out in support of sacked workers

People might have boycott fatigue; after all, this has been dragging on for years now.

Perhaps.
It's got to make you feel shit if you're sat having a pint whilst people are protesting right by you though.
You've got to be a special kind of twat just to sit there laughing and drinking with your mates when the workers from the establishment you're in are right in front of you, fighting for a decent wage.

Sorry, I misread your post.

I mean people will often become desensitised to horrific situations if they're exposed to it often enough. Their views may not have changed. A bit how like none of us breaks down at the sight of someone living on the streets in a wealthy country such as the UK. We should; it's a terrible situation that simply should not exist. But it does. And the vast majority of us go about our lives without it actually affecting us.

Sorry, I misread your post.

I mean people will often become desensitised to horrific situations if they're exposed to it often enough. Their views may not have changed. A bit how like none of us breaks down at the sight of someone living on the streets in a wealthy country such as the UK. We should; it's a terrible situation that simply should not exist. But it does. And the vast majority of us go about our lives without it actually affecting us.

This is all beside the point.

Its a picket line. They crossed it.

There are plenty of other places to drink in within a few minutes walk.

So clearly they don't give a fuck .

It's not as if they were risking there jobs if they didn't cross it. Nor is it great inconvenience to go somewhere else for a drink.

Last edited:
This is all beside the point.

Its a picket line. They crossed it.

There are plenty of other places to drink in within a few minutes walk.

So clearly they don't give a fuck .

It's not as if they were risking there jobs if they didn't cross it. Nor is it great inconvenience to go somewhere else for a drink.
The day I find myself laughing and drinking with my mates in front of a venue with a massive workers' protest going on right next to me is that day I've become an utter tosser. There's no fucking excuse for not supporting the workers in such a situation, unless you really don't give a fuck.

Forgot to post until now, but I had a frenetic phone call on Wednesday afternoon saying there was an immigration raid going on at the Ritzy - van, police, handcuffs and all.

Anybody know anything about this? I guess the Ritzy is as likely as anywhere to employ staff without the right to work - though this is normally associated with catering establishments.

Yup, not been for almost a year now.
And cancelled my membership which is had for probably 20 years
Missing seeing films, but worth it to be able to support the action.
I've just not got my lazy self into gear to go elsewhere....

Back
Top Bottom