Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Ritzy staff in pay dispute for London Living Wage with Picturehouse Cinemas

this is strange - bottom of the article

"The state of Cineworld is in stark contrast to the performance of AMC Entertainment, the world’s largest cinema group and owner of the Odeon chain in the UK, which said the new Top Gun and Dr Strange films had fuelled a doubling of ticket sales in the US.

The company, which has a $12.8bn market value, said July had the highest monthly attendance in US cinemas since before the pandemic."

So why did Cineworld do so badly?

Last edited:
this is strange - bottom of the article

"The state of Cineworld is in stark contrast to the performance of AMC Entertainment, the world’s largest cinema group and owner of the Odeon chain in the UK, which said the new Top Gun and Dr Strange films had fuelled a doubling of ticket sales in the US.

The company, which has a $12.8bn market value, said July had the highest monthly attendance in US cinemas since before the pandemic."

So why did Cineworld do so badly?
The article explains that:
“The firm will blame the lack of summer blockbusters as a reason behind its sharp downfall but in reality its aggressive acquisition plan has taken on too much debt and this was always a huge risk as interest rates rise,” said Walid Koudmani, chief market analyst at the financial brokerage XTB.

Picturehouse turned from art house/rep that were staffed by film nerds to showing blockbusters staffed with whoever + charging more than any other chain in London. Ritzy especially has been a disgrace for years (shit programming, prices so high it’s cheaper to go to Mayfair for a film and that fucking cafe). When the staff decide to noisily clank in a long ladder DURING THE FUCKING FILM then you know that any love for cinema left that building a long time ago.

Picturehouse turned from art house/rep that were staffed by film nerds to showing blockbusters staffed with whoever + charging more than any other chain in London. Ritzy especially has been a disgrace for years (shit programming, prices so high it’s cheaper to go to Mayfair for a film and that fucking cafe). When the staff decide to noisily clank in a long ladder DURING THE FUCKING FILM then you know that any love for cinema left that building a long time ago.
I once tried their "Silver Screen" offering for pensioners etc, where you got to see a feature for half-price and get a free cup of tea at the end. Not criticising the Ritzy here, but I went to see "Get Out" and was bursting to share my shock horror with other patrons over the tea.

Suddenly I realised that Brixton is in fact in Surrey. "Have we been introduced?"

I would have gone again - at half-price - but truly they seldom show anything I want to see. This afternoon for example BBC2 had "Witness for the accused" a brilliant 1957 Billy Wilder film I'd never seen. There was no pop-corn going off in your ear and the sound and picture were just right.

I guess in their heyday the Little Bit Ritzy might have shown this as a Sunday matinee - now it's the BFI, the BBC or Talking Pictures TV (or possibly "Great Movies Classic")

The Ritzy had only one film I would have gone to see - the Buena Vista Social Club.
There again on Googling further I find that Silver Screen is Thurdays before 17:00 (2016)
No idea if it still runs - DNS not available.

Picture house has $5 billion worth of debt to refinance. That’s the biggest issue. Industry experts say that it’s still a viable business so will exist in some form but admission prices will need to rise

Picture house has $5 billion worth of debt to refinance. That’s the biggest issue. Industry experts say that it’s still a viable business so will exist in some form but admission prices will need to rise
Rubbish. It needs to go bankrupt and start again. Creative capitalism. Rees Mogg. Trump.
Whoever heard of a tycoon worth their salt paying their debts?

For those with an eye for figures, here they are. It is blatantly obvious that Mookie was brought down by an over-ambitious takeover in the USA. Everyone warned him at the time - would he listen?

What annoys me is that the Ritzy was redeveloped as a multi screen cinema through Brixton Challenge funding.

Now its just another private asset at the mercy of the market place.

Maybe Cineworlds owners bad decisions will mean that the Picture House chain is sold off.

IMO if Ritzy is part of bankrupt Cineworld and hence worth little it should go into Council ownership. And then run as Lambeth Coop Council cinema.

Or teamed up with the Peckham plex. Who seem to have business model that does not exclude the less well off.

Which industry experts are you talking about? Got a link for that?

I read the Guardian article and did not see that being said. Unless I missed something.

The Picturehouse chain represents about 10% of the total Cineworld business and pre-pandemic was profitable. If the UK business is put up for sale, I can see that there would be interest from other chains or even private equity (The Everyman chain for example has significant PE ownership). Putting up prices beyond inflation would be unwise given the current and forecasted squeeze on discretionary spending.

Last edited:
Which industry experts are you talking about? Got a link for that?

I read the Guardian article and did not see that being said. Unless I missed something.
Can’t remember where I read it but I don’t just read the guardian. If I find it, I’ll re-post

The Picturehouse chain represents about 10% of the total Cineworld business and pre-pandemic was profitable. If the UK business is put up for sale, I can see that there would be interest from other chains or even private equity (The Everyman chain for example has significant PE ownership). Putting up prices beyond inflation would be unwise given the current and forecasted squeeze on discretionary spending.
Their prices are already such that I've stopped going to them. Hard to imagine there's any room to put them up further while maintaining ticket sales. Sadly my local tiny independent cinema collapsed during the pandemic but at least there's still Peckham Plex.

Can’t remember where I read it but I don’t just read the guardian. If I find it, I’ll re-post

Was wondering if Cineworld increases prices to survive what the demographic they are going for?

Was in West End today. At home with swimming pool and one floor for the personal cinema.

People like this are going to stream films to their own personal cinemas. The London top one percent.

I do not see them mixing with the lower orders at a cinema,

So what exactly is the demographic who will pay almost twenty pounds to see a film?

During pandemic I started streaming. I get BFI player for five pound a month. No brainer compared to cinema tickets now.

Reactions: CH1
Was wondering if Cineworld increases prices to survive what the demographic they are going for?

Was in West End today. At home with swimming pool and one floor for the personal cinema.

People like this are going to stream films to their own personal cinemas. The London top one percent.

So what exactly is the demographic who will pay almost twenty pounds to see a film?

During pandemic I started streaming. I get BFI player for five pound a month. No brainer compared to cinema tickets now.
you dont need to be in the 1% to have a "home cinema"
i bought a projector for £200 - cheaper than a tv
tv quality is really good now, in terms of size and image
ive been to the imax three of four times...im not sure if Massive Screen really does anything for me tbh - i dont think i get immersed in a film on imax anymore than i do at home sat infront of a 3x2m (approx) image from the projector

the cinema financial model is more than ever about cynical blockbuster drawing people in to sell food and drink and rip off prices
however it still seems to just about work, especially when children are involved. ("AMC Entertainment, the world’s largest cinema group and owner of the Odeon chain in the UK, which said the new Top Gun and Dr Strange films had fuelled a doubling of ticket sales in the US." etc).
When you have kids you need shit to do with them. People still throw loads of money at cinema experiences, more out of habit and lack of other options I expect, rather than a love of going to the movies.

I am middle aged and have seen a lot of films over the years, so my perspective is different, but for me theres no reason to got to a cinema. the pure popcorn films are edited too fast for maximum fake excitement (actually make a film boring), and what adult films there are are better enjoyed at home

its a shame...there was a time that i loved cinemas...i worked as an usher for a year too...loved the whole thing, the buildings, the seats, the mood. Too many bad experiences in a row now (both film quality and atmosphere) make me not want to go again. Maybe if i lived in a small town I might start going to support a local or if I had time and money to waste, but on the whole, nah. I liev a walk away from an Odeon, last time I went there was Django Unchained - looked it up, 2012, ten years ago!

Talking of which I wonder what kind of business Tarantino's New Beverley cinema does:
I would probably go to that if I lived in LA, because of the interesting programming and care to create an atmosphere.

Talking of which I wonder what kind of business Tarantino's New Beverley cinema does:
I would probably go to that if I lived in LA, because of the interesting programming and care to create an atmosphere.

Weird, I used to live a few blocks away from that place. Never even knew it was there. I think I only went to the cinema like 3 times anyway the entire time I lived there.

The huge move to working from home is leading to a shift in local dynamics. People (not withstanding energy price increases) have more disposal incomes so you will see more Michelin restaurants out of London and presumably this is the demographic local cinemas will also go for. We take our kids to the cinema on a regular basis despite having streaming services at home. There’s a market out there but cineworld need to restructure/dispose of their debt

Cineworld has declared bankruptcy. I wonder what this means for the Ritzy; probably new owners eventually
Well if the shares are only 4.78p each maybe Peckham Plex might buy them out?
But seriously... Chapter 11 Bankruptcy is an American method of perpetuating companies often by fleecing investors. Shareholders get diluted - one new share for every 10 - or even 100 - currently held.
Bondholders get a "haircut" - like their bonds are adjusted maybe a 5% bond now pays 3.5%

The logical thing would be for Cineworld to sell off the Regal group. Is Mookie up to it?

Last time saw a royal proclamation it was this at the Ritzy. Hardly surprising I suppose that Brixton Challenge hived it off to less controversial owners:

Back
Top Bottom