Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Ritzy staff in pay dispute for London Living Wage with Picturehouse Cinemas

https://bectu.org.uk/news/bectu-response-to-picturehouse-ruling/

Seems like some wins and some loses... I thought it had gone a bit quiet...

We’re very proud of our long-running Living Staff Living Wage campaign, which has been tirelessly led by members who have inspired lots of new members to join our movement in theatre, film, entertainment and TV.

While we are disappointed by the recent Employment Tribunal decision to revoke the reinstatement order for two ex-Picturehouse representatives, we are pleased to have won both the original unfair dismissal claims and compensation for the members involved.

BECTU members have now agreed to suspend our Living Staff Living Wage campaign and call off the public boycott to focus on fighting for equal pay at the Ritzy and continuing to challenge the dismissal of other members.

We won’t rest until Ritzy and Picturehouse follows suit with other cinema employers we have successfully worked with and treats all its workers fairly.

Anyone know the details of the decision? I hadn't realised it was up for review or appeal or whatever. And why does it apply to 2 people? What about the third person?

Now I can go to the Ritzy again decided to see if Ken Loach new film is on this weekend. The Saturday afternoon showing in screen three is an eye watering £14.50

I haven't been to Ritzy through out the boycott.

Been watching more films online. BBC/ C4 and also the Curzon site ( I get 12 films a month free as part of membership I have)

The cost of cinema going in some areas of London is high imo.

These prices at Ritzy are imo to high.

This cinema complex was built with government inner city grant.

Now its pricing is excluding locals like me from going often.

Sorry We Missed You

Last edited:
Now I can go to the Ritzy again decided to see if Ken Loach new film is on this weekend. The Saturday afternoon showing in screen three is an eye watering £14.50

I haven't been to Ritzy through out the boycott.

Been watching more films online. BBC/ C4 and also the Curzon site ( I get 12 films a month free as part of membership I have)

The cost of cinema going in some areas of London is high imo.

These prices at Ritzy are imo to high.

This cinema complex was built with government inner city grant.

Now its pricing is excluding locals like me from going often.

Sorry We Missed You
Sadly barring the likes of Peckham Multiplex or Prince Charles, such prices are the norm across cinema chains in London. It is wrong and going to the movies has become unaffordable for many.

The Odeon in Streatham is only a tiny bit cheaper at £13.25, so it isn’t just Picturehouse doing it. Most chains offer half price days, or memberships for regulars that offer them better value for money, at least.

I went for the first time to the West Norwood cinema and was very impressed with the seats. Massive space and legroom. It was almost like business class vs economy on a plane.

Last edited:
I went for the first time to the West Norwood cinema and was very impressed with the seats. Massive space and legroom. It was almost like business class vs economy on a plane.

i agree it’sa good cinema, I’ve been once on a Friday night, but I would have expected it to cost less than the Ritzy. Over fourteen quid is a lot, and I was on a date so paid for two tickets. And you’d need a mortgage to buy a few sweeties from them. I went down to the co op and picked up a bag of wine gums instead.

Honestly, I think that if you want people to be paid the living wage (which I do), you have to accept that things will be more expensive. “Casual dining” chains are closing hand over fist because they can’t make the business model work in an environment of rising food prices and increasing wages.

Price of ticket at Peckhamplex £4.99

Staff get Living Wage

Peckhamplex: Social Cinema

Why is affordable cinema so important?

At the end of the day, we’re a commercial business, we have to make a profit but we want to be fair to people walking through the door, and also to our employees. So unlike certain cinemas, we pay everybody at least the London living wage and give bonuses several times a year. There are people who have worked here since the very beginning and we want to share the success

Streatham Odeon is £11. I assume they want everyone to be members at the Ritzy. I was for a couple of years until the strike/dispute.
Interesting that West Norwood is the same £14.

I don't know if anyone clocked it, but in the erudite newspaper "Brixton Review of Books" (issue 7) there was a long detailed reminiscence of author Kate Webb's days squatting in the Brixton area - and working at the Little Bit Ritzy. [I have lifted this image from their Facebook page - but it's only a taster]
73127850_542301073209229_518184991058821120_o.jpg

Her views on the Ritzy at the time chime slightly with my own - but not wholly. She brings an unexpected critique of the Ritzy's violent and misogynist fare (in her opinion).

She says that in a screening of Alan Renais' "Last Year in Marienbad" she mistakenly got the spools in the wrong order for projection - but far from getting the sack, the (presumably pretentious yet ignorant audience) apparently failed to notice the mistake.

I can't say I went to that film, but I remember a showing of another French Renais "masterpiece" - Providence. I went to that because the original screenplay was by David Mercer, the actors included David Warner, Dirk Bogarde and John Gielgud all of whom I admired.

It turned out to be an incredibly turgid watch. I guess it might even be that the Ritzy didn't show it in the right order - maybe it wasn't my fault!

The final bit of Kate Webb's reminiscence I wanted to mention was her objection to a film called "God told me to". People may not remember that 1981 was a time when there was a vogue for bad films, such as "Invasion of the Giant Tomatoes", "Plan 9 from Outer Space" etc. - promoted by newly created Channel 4 and Alex Cox.

"God Told Me To" (or "Demon" as advertised in Britain) was promoted as a sort of paranormal "Dirty Harry". According to Kate Webb there is a scene where an image of a vagina is projected onto the (anti-)hero of the film. I did go to the show, but don't remember it.

Kate says after the show she cut out the offending piece of celluloid and took it home. After the 1981 Brixton riot the police searched her squat and seized it as evidence.

Not sure about all this. Just in case anyone has the patience, here is the Youtube version of "God told me to". Presumably there won't be a vagina projection in this - if only because sex is anathema to Youtube where murderous posing is not.

Attachments

• 73127850_542301073209229_518184991058821120_o.jpg
    73127850_542301073209229_518184991058821120_o.jpg
    815.4 KB · Views: 4
One of my favourite threads. Not because I like their films - but because they remind me of a mix of Tiny Rowland and Grunwick.

I spotted a bit in the City AM last week suggesting there were problems ahoy at Cineworld,.
This is the internet 12/3/20 version of what was snipet in the 13/3/20 paper
Coronavirus: Cineworld shares crash on debt breach warning

This is another briefing, which has an amazing quote at the end:
Cineworld warns it may struggle to stay in business | Film Stories
Cineworld, which also owns Picturehouse in the UK, is in the midst of trying to finalise a deal to purchase Canadian chain Cineplex. It’s, as is the modern way, funding the purchase through loans, and that will see it with several billion dollars’ worth of debt. All manageable debt, as in a report at the Financial Times, the firm’s chief executive declared “we are not worried”. He cited the fact that most of the company’s costs were variable, noting “if we don’t sell movies, we don’t pay for the movies. If we don’t see Pepsi, we don’t pay for the Pepsi”.

He added too that “a lot of our temporary manpower, if we don’t invite them to work if the cinemas are closed, we are also not paying them”. Which is nice.

For those upper class Brixtonians who still favour the wheeling dealing Cineworld mogul, he has not changed his spots.

Picturehouse showing their true colours again:

The Picturehouse cinema chain has been accused by its former employees of “irresponsible” treatment after staff were made redundant with immediate effect following the widespread shutdown of cinemas in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

EmailS sent by managers to staff at the Cameo cinema in Edinburgh, part of the Picturehouse chain, says that “we need to inform you that as part of our measures to save the business given the serious difficulties it is currently facing” the recipient will be laid off on 19 March, with no payment other than their contracted “notice pay”.

The email adds: “When we are able to reopen, we sincerely hope you wish to return to us.”

Picturehouse showing their true colours again:

Their financial problem is due to over-expansion issuing junk bonds, which predated the coronavirus, although this has been a near fatal blow.

I don't know the cinema world well enough to know if there is any chance of independents relaunching the good bits such as the Ritzy, if Cineworld goes under. I notice Riverside Studios recently re-opened. That is a charitable trust.

The admirable Peckham Plex seems to be in a chain of two, with the Regal in Cromer.
Owner Chris Green is a cinema enthusiast.

Fucking hell! I was 'just' considering rejoining after cancelling my almost 20 year membership when the strikes started. No way ever now..

Back
Top Bottom