Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Ritzy staff in pay dispute for London Living Wage with Picturehouse Cinemas

Just saw this, can't find out any more details at the moment.

That's going to up the ante big time.

On a related note, it was sad to see the Brixton Blog running a large advertorial for the Ritzy recently, gushing about all the upcoming releases. The workers need all the solidarity they can get.

Back on 21st April I suggested here that demonstrators could picket the AGM. To me this would make a lot more sense than picketing customers.

In addition I pointed out that in London we used to have shareholder political activism - people buy a share and go to the AGM and ask questions.

Neither of these things happened - it would have been reported in the Standard or the FT or City AM at the very least if they had.

Meanwhile look at the company's annual report and the report for investors published soon afterwards and you will see this is a brash self-confident company which couldn't give a toss about workers.

Both of these reports are downloaded "as-is" from the Cineworld website by the way.

Attachments

• cineworld-ar16.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 1
  • israel-analyst-presentation.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Bectu:

Living wage strikes at Picturehouse this weekend - BECTU

BECTU members at four Picturehouse venues in the capital will be on strike this weekend (3-4 June) as they continue to press their employer to pay the Living Wage.

The Brixton Ritzy, Hackney Picturehouse, Crouch End Picturehouse and Picturehouse Central (Shaftesbury Avenue) will all be impacted by the action, which gets underway from 4pm on Saturday 3 June and from 2pm on Sunday 4 June.

The action coincides with London's Sundance Film Festival (1-4 June) which is being hosted at the Picturehouse Central.

In a new development, BECTU is also supporting six BECTU representatives who have been suspended from duty. Commenting on the suspensions, Gerry Morrissey, head of BECTU condemned the move as “an attempt by Picturehouse to intimidate our members in this long running dispute."

Photos from today's action:

ritzy-strike-june-2017-10.jpg

ritzy-strike-june-2017-12.jpg

ritzy-strike-june-2017-01.jpg

ritzy-strike-june-2017-16.jpg

In photos: Brixton Ritzy workers start their weekend strike after union officials suspended

Back on 21st April I suggested here that demonstrators could picket the AGM. To me this would make a lot more sense than picketing customers.

In addition I pointed out that in London we used to have shareholder political activism - people buy a share and go to the AGM and ask questions.

Neither of these things happened - it would have been reported in the Standard or the FT or City AM at the very least if they had.

Meanwhile look at the company's annual report and the report for investors published soon afterwards and you will see this is a brash self-confident company which couldn't give a toss about workers.

Both of these reports are downloaded "as-is" from the Cineworld website by the way.

They did! They did it last time round during the strikes 3 or 4 years ago too.

Cineworld bosses to meet union over living wage dispute

Cineworld bosses to meet union over living wage dispute | Richard Hartley

That's going to up the ante big time.

On a related note, it was sad to see the Brixton Blog running a large advertorial for the Ritzy recently, gushing about all the upcoming releases. The workers need all the solidarity they can get.
I agree. I also see plenty of promotions of 'community events' based at other Picturehouse venues. Very annoying. Some folk don't appear to understand how this gives picture house some social credibility and business in the cafe even as protests go on outside.

Some pics from today - don't forget the after party at the Prince Albert!

Shame those fucking racist homophobic 'Seven Tribes Of Israel' bellends were also in the square making a shitty racket.

boycott-ritzy-july-2017-01.jpg

ritzy-party-july-2017.jpg

Interesting piece here:

1. It shines a light on the hypocrisies of the gig economy

Cineworld, the group who own Picturehouse, made £93.8m in post tax profit last year. Their CEO took home £2.5m in pay and bonuses, an increase from £1.2m the year before. ‘We went into negotiations with them a few days ago and they said they were struggling to maintain pay levels because of the impact of our strikes’, says Kelly Rogers, a Picturehouse worker and union rep who was suspended a month ago, said. ‘They were accusing us of being greedy whilst the CEO increased his own wage by over a £1m last year alone.’

5 reasons you should be following the Picturehouse strike

After calling membership services and not getting no joy, I've just sent this email to customerservice@picturehouses.co.uk

FAO The General Manager

I have been a member of the Ritzy Cinema in Brixton for over 20 years. I have been upset and disappointed at the recent treatment of your workers not being paid the London Living Wage and then the sacking of staff. I have not been to a Picture House cinema for about 6 months and intend to boycott until the workers ask me not to.

In the meantime I will be going to Curzon cinemas who do pay the London Living Wage.

I paid for my annual membership in November 2016 and have obviously not made much use of it. I contacted your membership helpline to see if I could receive a refund or if indeed my membership could be frozen, but I was told that this was not possible, and no refunds are given.

I am asking you to reconsider this as I'm somewhat irked that you have taken my money so me boycotting has little effect. I would be grateful if you could think about this and the impact it is having on your reputation with long standing supporters

I look forward to hearing from you

with regards

Back
Top Bottom