Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Doig’s print is a stunning portrait of Linton Kwesi Johnson depicted, in his trademark hat, mid-performance. Rendered in muted blues, Johnson’s face is outlined by the text ‘Brixton Ritzy’, referencing the iconic South London venue where Johnson performed in 1980.

Has GarveyLives missed this?

57299957-10774659-image-m-12_1651488567431.jpg

His mother who had accompanied him to an interview earlier that day and the children who knew him along the length of Tulse Hill from his home to his school probably miss The Late Rommel McKoy even more than everyone at Brixton Buzz and Urban75.

Below is from an email circular for Whirled Cinema members.

For anyone who doesn't know about it, Whirled Cinema is in one of the railway arches along Hardess Road. 2 minutes walk from Loughborough Junction station. Membership is £99 for a year (you can buy it monthly too). For that, you can see a different film pretty much every week of the year, and you can bring a friend with you too. It means that if you go regularly it costs less than £2 per person, but even if you just go once a month it's still a lot less expensive than going to a mainstream cinema. There's generally an interesting programme of films, and it's a decent screen and sound system.

It's a friendly place, there's a bar and you don't have to sit through any adverts before the film starts.

Use it or lose it! It's really been struggling to get people through the doors since covid.

We are writing to you with an appeal regarding the future of Whirled Cinema.

As you may know, the cinema industry has faced unprecedented challenges over the past couple of years due to the economic downturn caused by the global pandemic.

Whirled Cinema, much like countless other businesses, has not been immune to these challenges.

The Whirled Cinema in Loughborough Junction has always thrived on the vibrant energy and support of its dedicated community members, and it is in this spirit that we reach out to you today.

Our mission has been to create a space where film enthusiasts and artists alike can come together to enjoy thought-provoking, entertaining, and culturally enriching cinematic experiences. However, the combination of lockdowns, restrictions, and economic uncertainty has cast a shadow over our ability to continue delivering on this promise.

Membership, which has always been the backbone of our community, has unfortunately taken a hit. We have lost three quarters (from peak) of our membership which has resulted in the cinema running at a loss since the pandemic hit.

Despite our best efforts to adapt to the changing circumstances, the financial strain has been considerable.

In this challenging time, we are turning to our cherished Whirled Cinema community for support. Your contributions have the power to make a real difference in ensuring that Whirled Cinema not only survives but continues to thrive and we are at a critical point. There are a few ways in which you can help:

1. Spread the Word: Share your love for Whirled Cinema with friends, family, and colleagues. Your word-of-mouth endorsements can introduce new audiences to our space and help bolster our attendance.

2. Membership Renewals: For those whose memberships have lapsed or are up for renewal, we kindly urge you to consider renewing. Your ongoing membership will be a testament to your commitment to the cinema and its community.

3. Purchase a gift membership: Get a gift membership. A Whirled Gift Membership is for all year round, not just for Xmas and goes a long way to supporting our cinema.

4. Volunteer Assistance: If you have skills or expertise that could be of assistance to the cinema, whether in marketing, event planning, or any other relevant area, we welcome your support.

5. Monetary Donations: If you are in a position to do so, your financial support can provide a lifeline for the cinema. Even a small donation can go a long way in helping us cover operational costs, maintain our unique programming, and keep the cinematic experience alive.

We understand that times are tough for people and with the cost-of-living crisis everyone has to be more mindful than ever but it worth noting that our membership model still represents excellent value for money, and any contribution you can make, be it financial or otherwise, is deeply appreciated.

If you’d like to discuss further, please email Mike@whirledcinema.com

Last edited:

For anyone who doesn't know about it, Whirled Cinema is in one of the railway arches along Hardess Road. 2 minutes walk from Loughborough Junction station. Membership is £99 for a year (you can buy it monthly too). For that, you can see a different film pretty much every day of the year, and you can bring a friend with you too. It means that if you go regularly it costs less than £2 per person, but even if you just go once a month it's still a lot less expensive than going to a mainstream cinema. There's generally an interesting programme of films, and it's a decent screen and sound system.

It's a friendly place, there's a bar and you don't have to sit through any adverts before the film starts.

Use it or lose it! It's really been struggling to get people through the doors since covid.

I really hope they survive. We used to go a lot, but alas the cost of babysitting killed off our membership.

For anyone who doesn't know about it, Whirled Cinema is in one of the railway arches along Hardess Road. 2 minutes walk from Loughborough Junction station. Membership is £99 for a year (you can buy it monthly too). For that, you can see a different film pretty much every day of the year, and you can bring a friend with you too. It means that if you go regularly it costs less than £2 per person, but even if you just go once a month it's still a lot less expensive than going to a mainstream cinema. There's generally an interesting programme of films, and it's a decent screen and sound system.

Always forget about this place. I've joined to help out and will try to go occasionally.

For anyone who doesn't know about it, Whirled Cinema is in one of the railway arches along Hardess Road. 2 minutes walk from Loughborough Junction station. Membership is £99 for a year (you can buy it monthly too). For that, you can see a different film pretty much every week of the year, and you can bring a friend with you too. It means that if you go regularly it costs less than £2 per person, but even if you just go once a month it's still a lot less expensive than going to a mainstream cinema. There's generally an interesting programme of films, and it's a decent screen and sound system.

I went to the Kung Fu night at Whirled a while ago. It was brilliant. They had the bar open, retro martial arts computer games competition on the cinema screen before the films were on and then they encouraged everyone to cheer and make a bit of noise during the films, which were old school Kung Fu with people flying through the air and all the sound effects etc.

I can recommend it 100%

Thanks for the reminder. It popped into my head the other day but I couldn't remember what it was called and couldn't find anything online.

I'm sure (probably quite a few years ago now) I tried to join but they had a waiting list because they were so busy.

Thanks for the reminder. It popped into my head the other day but I couldn't remember what it was called and couldn't find anything online.

I'm sure (probably quite a few years ago now) I tried to join but they had a waiting list because they were so busy.
Yes, they did have a waiting list at one point. But unfortunately lots of people just didn't come back after covid so now the membership is way down and some nights there's just 2 or 3 people in the audience. Get a membership, you won't regret it!

One of the good things is that it lets you bring someone with you. Invite a friend along, they might offer to buy you a drink in return and it can end up cost neutral! But it's a good place/excuse to arrange to meet someone for a drink anyway - they open the doors about an hour before the film starts.

I go most weeks and often don't even look up what the film is. It feels easy to do this once you've paid for a membership - if you really don't like the film all you've lost is a couple of hours. It's a good way to see mostly good and quite varied films without putting in any research effort whatsoever, or even having to plan anything ahead.

Film on TV about Ted Brown and Noel Glynn, long time Brixton residents, they lived on Shakespear Road from 1986.

Friday 3 November 1.55am on C4
The 25 minute documentary is on at a very inconvenient time. It is being shown with other short films up for the Iris Prize. iris-prize-2023-hook-line-and-sinker 'Ted and Noel' is the first one up I think.

Worth setting to record or try to watch again. It's a heartbreaking story.

And their pizzas have gone downhill massively too.

I tried a Mama Dough pizza tonight.
Horrible. Managed to eat one slice and gave up.

Sauce was sharp, not cooked down. Pizza base was claggy. The toppings dll tasted like they'd come out of a can.

I was surprised to be charged full price for it despite telling them the reason I wasn't eating it.

Film on TV about Ted Brown and Noel Glynn, long time Brixton residents, they lived on Shakespear Road from 1986.

Friday 3 November 1.55am on C4
The 25 minute documentary is on at a very inconvenient time. It is being shown with other short films up for the Iris Prize. iris-prize-2023-hook-line-and-sinker 'Ted and Noel' is the first one up I think.

Worth setting to record or try to watch again. It's a heartbreaking story.
Anyone see it?

Condolences to all those in Strathleven Road (and elsewhere) who have been affected by the death of The Late Christie Eugene last Thursday (2 November 2023).

Her son, Jason Phinn, also of Strathleven Road, was arrested at the scene and taken into custody.

Jason Phinn appeared at Croydon Magistrates' Court yesterday charged with murder, and was remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on 7 November 2023.

The latest on local human trafficking victim Brandon Aldon McNeil, who murdered a man - Shane Jerome - who he did not know or had never previously met:

58371309-10861749-image-a-17_1653672644044.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Man who murdered motorcyclist has minimum jail term reduced

Episode 4, Series 4 of the BBC documentary series, The Met which to be broadcast this evening, will feature the investigation into the murder of the Late Shane Jerome by Brandon Aldon McNeil in the centre of Brixton on 21 July 2021.

It is certainly good to see children and others at the African & Caribbean War Memorial in Windrush Square remembering those who refused to be whitewashed out of British history:

FELO5ibXwAEvvj7

(Source: Nadine White)

FEKKeelX0AkTWqf

(Source: Cllr Sonia Winifred, Cabinet Member for Equalities and Culture, Lambeth Council)

FEKgnW-XoAA5-9q

(Source: Bell Ribeiro-Addy MP (Streatham))

FELNcdXXMAUBt3I

(Source: Helen Hayes MP (Dulwich & West Norwood)

Remembrance Sunday, Windrush Square, Brixton, 2023

In case anyone is interested (it's not been very well advertised)

Don Letts doing a live Q&A session after a showing of the Rebel Dread documentary at Whirled Cinema this evening.

(They are showing just the film Tuesday/Wednesday too)

£15 for non members.

I would have happily run something on Buzz but it's a bit late for me now...
Can someone ask them to email me stuff if they want it promoted?

Maybe a niche post but noticed that Dombey & Son, the butchers on Market Row, has changed its name to Demboy. Trade mark dispute with Dickens maybe? 🤔

Back
Top Bottom