Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Episode 4, Series 4 of the BBC documentary series, The Met which to be broadcast this evening, will feature the investigation into the murder of the Late Shane Jerome by Brandon Aldon McNeil in the centre of Brixton on 21 July 2021.
Very sad. The guy murdered seemed to be targeted for no reason and have no criminal history. The kid who stabbed him didn't even know him or any of the others. Just some bullshit about people being on their turf. Depressing as fuck.

Very sad. The guy murdered seemed to be targeted for no reason and have no criminal history. The kid who stabbed him didn't even know him or any of the others. Just some bullshit about people being on their turf. Depressing as fuck.
Just finished watching this episode. Indeed very sad, and utterly pointless. Much to unpick really, but it was quite satisfying to see the detectives successfully identify and get the kid who did it locked up for 20 years.

Just finished watching this episode. Indeed very sad, and utterly pointless. Much to unpick really, but it was quite satisfying to see the detectives successfully identify and get the kid who did it locked up for 20 years.
Yep it's a good doc. Cameras and phones have made it pretty impossible to escape detection for the average crim it seems. Especially now practically every house and building has a video camera so it's not just public CCTV any more.

Looks like Lambeth have finally found a tentant for Ivor House on acre lane.... another gym is coming to the area. Good job the council faculties are so poorly maintained that these private clubs have a thriving audience1000110873.jpg

£51 a month.
I'm not a connoisseur of such things, or lively to be a customer, but considering the price of a pint in the Beehive is £2.78 and double elsewhere, I would have thought £1.68 per day to have a wash-board stomach was mere bagatelle?

I'm not a connoisseur of such things, or lively to be a customer, but considering the price of a pint in the Beehive is £2.78 and double elsewhere, I would have thought £1.68 per day to have a wash-board stomach was mere bagatelle?
There's usually extras on top but I don't know many people on my estate who have £50 a month in spare cash to blow on a fancy gym.

There's usually extras on top but I don't know many people on my estate who have £50 a month in spare cash to blow on a fancy gym.
I must ask my Somali refugee friend where he goes and how he pays. He does regularly use one in Clapham because his council flat is in Clapham North, but I'm pretty sure its not the council one. He likes to go late evening when its quiet and Clapham Manor Street gym closes by 10 pm. Maybe some of the private places have concessionary rates?

This is ongoing issue Ive had with Lambeth.

Here are some of their monthly prices for all inclusive membership ( gym and pool)

Its comparative to a mid priced gym like this.

One of the regular complaints I get it is that a publicly owned gym/pool is charging prices that are same as mid priced gym in borough.

Some private gyms are cheaper.

Lambeth does do more concessions. But the average working and not claiming benefits person in my area struggles to get by and these Lambeth prices are to much imo

Plus its a constant argument to get Lambeth to maintain the leisure services to a high standard. Despite this being a paid for service.

Lambeth set prices by looking at what private operators charge.

says £26.99 for the plus membership in that link
So that may be what he meant.
Active Lambeth (Brixton Rec etc) is £28.29 off peak, "from" £35.36 anytime one centre, £63.71 borough-wide.
So looks like Pure Gym may be cheaper than the Rec?
It think BRUG need to explain what's going on here!

I think the Council run Active Lambeth need to explain what's going on here.
There pages of T&Cs but its not user friendly (at least to me).
There was some reaction a while back when service went in house - but seemed to suggest in Bugle & elsewhere that prices had risen.

Gyms used to be pretty expensive tho. I paid £50 pm for my first gym 15 years ago but it was the only gym in the neighborhood. My flat's boiler used to break all the time as well so I ended using it to get a regular shower.

House of Momo capsule review:

For: You get a LOT of food for £12.95 on a thali deal (far more than I could eat, even on an empty stomach on a freezing evening) and there's the option of goat as the curry element. Vegetarian options available. Curry is good. Staff are friendly.

Against: Most of the food in ^that deal is carbs (rice, paratha, potato, chickpeas and dhal) and the spicing is a bit dull. The momos (Tibetan dumplings) are just like Chinese potstickers with a vaguely tikkalike curry dipping sauce - only without the ginger & spring onions that make the Chinese versions worth eating. Don't have them fried (very oily) unless you really need a bit more grease in your diet. The lighting inside is really dim - might be a plus or a minus depending on your point of view. Even soft drinks or tea aren't cheap.

If you want to carb-load to the extreme before or after doing some sport, or if you desperately hunger for the Himalayas, it might hit the spot but I doubt I'll be back.

Ys, I know it's early - though I see the snow is falling on this page - but recommendations for who is selling the best value, large-ish Xmas trees in Brixton, pleaseandthankyou

March against the violence in Palestine just went by me.
Lots of school aged kids in the march - so rather more intergenerational than usual.
Speeches in Wndrush Square at 2 pm it looks like.
Seems either the Brixton thread wallers were in hibernation due to cold weather like me, or maybe jetted off to sunnier climes.
The Telegraph, bless its fascist socks, has the following headlines today

Police ‘surrounded’ by protesters at pro-Palestinian march in London​

Liz Truss, former prime minister, claims on Fox News that people are being allowed to ‘demonstrate in favour of terrorists’
These archived sources lack definition, so here are the Telegraph photos:
TELEMMGLPICT000358648886_17015346496040_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqaBJSHwufYM_Fh0ArUj1hev4Xpit_DMGvdp2...jpeg
TELEMMGLPICT000358677731_17015482723370_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqVKOd1ILXaurCHi1o16wQuUikPYR0xYwuEBL...jpeg
TELEMMGLPICT000358677738_17015482919060_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQf0Rf_Wk3V23H226...jpeg
I do apologise for not submitting my own pictures. Better late than never!

Seems either the Brixton thread wallers were in hibernation due to cold weather like me, or maybe jetted off to sunnier climes.
The Telegraph, bless its fascist socks, has the following headlines today

Police ‘surrounded’ by protesters at pro-Palestinian march in London​

Liz Truss, former prime minister, claims on Fox News that people are being allowed to ‘demonstrate in favour of terrorists’
These archived sources lack definition, so here are the Telegraph photos:
View attachment 402972
View attachment 402973
View attachment 402974
I do apologise for not submitting my own pictures. Better late than never!

My photos on here

Thread 'Palestine support action in Brixton' Palestine support action in Brixton

Reactions: CH1
Hope this is OK to post here, if not please set me straight, ed.

Bookshop Popup happening at the Remakery this week and next, Thursday Friday and Saturday.

The Remakery is celebrating its 15th birthday this year; if you’ve not been this is a good opportunity to check it out. They provide low cost workspace for people in the community who dont have access to premises and tools to do projects or launch businesses focusing on reuse and sustainability.

They’re up by Myatts fields on Lilford Road. Home - The Remakery

1701785092399.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom