Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Also, this makes grim reading.
"A few more police...in the next couple of weeks" - clear and measurable deliverable there.:facepalm:

"Boycott Nour" protest currently occupying the shop and blocking the entrance. Allegedly a black customer was arrested after an altercation and racist language was used.

I can see this lot getting arrested as well - it's not really a peaceful protest if you're obstructing customers.

View attachment 395379
Saw something similar a few weeks ago with the police having to intervene - seems really strange.

From that:
Among them many examples of local crime and anti-social that every speaker said is at its worst level and intensity in living memory, were:
  • Large dogs running free in Brixton Station Road
  • East European gang members who wait in a local bank to identify and then rob vulnerable and old people – with no response from police to reports of this from bank staff
  • A recent stabbing victim “bleeding out” in Pop Brixton – where the meeting took place

Not sure it's useful/necessary to identify them as "east european" but this happened to one of my neighbours recently, including an assault that could have ended up with quite serious injury, and as far as I know, no real follow-up from the police.

47 year-old Amidu Koroma has now been charged with arson with intent to endanger life and murder.

Amidu Koroma is accused of murdering his wife Mariam Kamara, 46, at a property in Railton Road on 24 January 2022.

57210179-10768019-image-a-29_1651247356774.jpg

A post-mortem examination found she had allegedly been stabbed eight times, with two fatal wounds to the neck and face.

The absence of smoke in her lungs suggested she died before the fire started, it is claimed.

The Jan 24 fire on Railton Road was allegedly a husband's attempt to cover up his murder of his wife.
A man has been charged with stabbing his wife to death and setting their home on fire, a court has heard.

76482875-12624089-image-a-50_1697126144639.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Residents of Railton Road and friends and relatives of The Late Mariam Kamara will be relieved to hear that earlier today, her husband Amidu Koroma, was imprisoned for 29 years at the Old Bailey having been found guilty on 12 October 2023 of murdering his wife, Mariam Kamara and and trying to cover it up by setting fire to their home in Railton Road and blaming their teenage son. Ishmael.
When the London Fire Brigade arriving at 4.12 a.m. on 24 January 2022, Amidu Koroma calmly told them that Mariam was trapped inside. Mariam's badly burnt body was later found lying on her bed surrounded by the distinctive smell of accelerant. An empty jerry can and funnel was discarded on the ground floor and Mariam's blood was identified on bannisters near the bottom of the stairs. A post-mortem examination concluded that Mariam had died from stab wounds to the neck and chest before the fire started. Amidu Koroma denied going into the blazing bedroom yet had sustained a burn to his foot from close proximity to the flames. Additionally, an analysis of Amidu Koroma's clothes revealed heat damage caused by exposure to flames. He had a burn to his foot, singed hairs in his beard, flash burning to his jogging bottoms and sweatshirt

76617867-12636291-image-m-30_1697467137393.jpg

Community nurse Mariam Kamara was known as a very kind and charitable woman who was always looking out for others in need. She had told a friend she feared that Amidu Koroma would kill her and he had refused to leave the house. In a victim impact statement, her son said how much he missed his mother and that he had been deeply affected by her death, now finding himself unable to trust anyone.

76617869-12636291-image-a-31_1697467152263.jpg

The Late Mariam Kamara
Rest In Peace

"A few more police...in the next couple of weeks" - clear and measurable deliverable there.:facepalm:
The area around Brixton Station Road seems to be getting grimmer and grimmer these days. People don't even try to hide the stuff they've just nicked from the local shops.

The popup bookshop in myatts fields north community centre is in its last three days...closes down Friday at 1700.

Lots of good books for little money (I got the communist manifesto in graphic novel form for £2!) and all the proceeds go to support the healthy living platform distributing free toiletries to local families struggling with the cost of living.

was buzzed here when it started: Don’t miss the Book Garden popup shop at Myatts Field Centre, 20th Sept to 20 Oct 2023

(hoping its OK to post this here...if not please put me straight. A friend of mine is running it)

Last edited:
People travelling from north London to shoplift in Brixton seems crazy. I guess maybe it's a drugs x shopping trip.

Rommel McKoy's mother, Karen, told the Evening Standard that she had accompanied him to an interview at Merton College for a science and engineering course earlier on the day that he was stabbed to death.

She said: “He was so happy, he was going to study his dream course of science and engineering.

He had his whole life ahead of him. We got home and he said ‘I’m just going go to check my friends’ and that’s the last I saw of him.

“I’m devastated - he wanted to be an engineer or scientist. He was so kind and thoughtful and intelligent. His friends loved him. He was calm but so ambitious. He wanted to do so well in his career that he could buy me a house by the time he was 25.

“I don’t know how I can get over this. I can’t believe he has gone, we are devastated. His 11 year old sister and older brother are finding it hard to cope. He was never in any trouble, he was a good boy.”

57299957-10774659-image-m-12_1651488567431.jpg

Rommel McKoy was a pupil at City Heights Academy in Tulse Hill.

A 17-year-old boy has now been charged with his murder and appear in custody at Bromley Magistrates’ Court later today.

Anyone with information is asked to call 101 quoting CAD 6036/04Apr. To remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

18 year-old Juhvaine Elliott of nearby Brixton Water Lane, has now been found guilty of the murder of his friend Rommel McKoy in Hicken Road following his trial at Southwark Crown Court. CCTV footage showed Juhvaine Elliott running at Rommel McKoy and producing a knife before the pair went out of of view.

A search warrant was carried out at Juhvaine Elliott's home on 21 April 2022, but he was not there. Later that day, detectives found out that Juhvaine Elliott was boarding at flight at Gatwick Airport to Montego Bay, Jamaica. Airport security was contacted and the plane was stopped. Juhvaine Elliott was arrested and taken into custody.

Juhvaine-Elliott-will-be-sentenced-on-December-8.png

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

Juhvaine Elliott repeatedly stabbed Rommel McKoy in the chest and stomach following a row about money. He will be sentenced to life imprisonment on 8 December 2023.

Last edited:
Atlantic Road blocked by two 322 buses getting stuck around 4pm today
Probably caused by all those mopeds queuing to take take-aways to those too yuppy/lazy to walk or cook.
PS Apologies if someone points out that Lambeth has the highest number of agoraphic people in the UK - at 98%. Would fit with the usuallly trotted-out statistic that Coldharbour Ward is the most disadvantaged in the UK/Europe/The World!

Probably caused by all those mopeds queuing to take take-aways to those too yuppy/lazy to walk or cook.
PS Apologies if someone points out that Lambeth has the highest number of agoraphic people in the UK - at 98%. Would fit with the usuallly trotted-out statistic that Coldharbour Ward is the most disadvantaged in the UK/Europe/The World!
Because those are the only reasons people have food delivered.....

It'd be nice if someone produced evidence to support the coldharbour claim - apols if this is some longrunning Brixton forum jest

It'd be nice if someone produced evidence to support the coldharbour claim - apols if this is some longrunning Brixton forum jest
Understand this ChrisSouth :
sarcasm.jpg

.... veteran of Lambeth Council "projects" often involving hours of sitting at "tables" being guided by consultants to approve the demise of arches in order to regenerate the poorest part of Lambeth

Would fit with the usuallly trotted-out statistic that Coldharbour Ward is the most disadvantaged in the UK/Europe/The World!
It's not the most disadvantaged but despite the recent gentrification, there's still plenty of people struggling to stay afloat. A few years ago it was registered as the most deprived ward in Lambeth.

1698229418546.png
1698229439877.png

It's not the most disadvantaged but despite the recent gentrification, there's still plenty of people struggling to stay afloat. A few years ago it was registered as the most deprived ward in Lambeth.

View attachment 396992
View attachment 396993

I've just come from the dentist in Gresham Road - which is apparently Brixton North now.
But I will say you get a different appreciation of deprivation in a dentists waiting room to all those people whooping it up in Brixton Central.

Speaking of which is this a dead website from days gone by - or up and ready for things to come? Floorplans | The Studios Islington ***
(a stone's throw from the dentist - and in vomiting distance of Pop Brixton!)

Where did you get the rating from? I'd like to try it myself on select former locales such as inner city Manchester and sheep-loving Suffolk.

*** Edit: the floorplans are supposed to be Brixton Central - formerly the Canterbury Arms I assume

probably missed it but what's happening next to the Railton Road Methodist Church where those flats were boarded up? only just noticed it's now more of a building site.

probably missed it but what's happening next to the Railton Road Methodist Church where those flats were boarded up? only just noticed it's now more of a building site.
Yes you did - my mate snowy_again asked about this on the Herne Hill thread on 4th October - and I replied - see here and ignore the florid description of the thread

I don't think I've ever seen anyone in the Empathy Museum. Has anyone been? What's it supposed to be for?
It has several interactive art exhibitions in there - well worth a look. Open Thursday - Sundays noon til 6pm I think. Only there for a few weeks.

We held a intergerational LGBT+ round table discussion in there yesterday evening. They have a talking table that seats 12. The last round table is about community spaces next Thurs evening.

Back
Top Bottom