Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Bollards galore!

What a load of bollards! Windrush Square's ugly concrete blocks get replaced by lines of bollards 's ugly concrete blocks get replaced by lines of bollards

Rather like what we got when the GLC needed to spend all its remaining reserves.
Except I doubt Lambeth Council has got any reserves.

Yes. We were told that when the concrete blocks arrived. I think they're alright. And it's no bad thing to protect gatherings from Nazis with trucks.

In other news, the Cherry Groce memorial provides some very pleasant seating. Isn't it odd that we aren't allowed enough seating in the square because the police object to seating because it entices undesirables to sit down....but suddenly we get much more seating because 36 years ago a police officer went to someone's house and shot their mother for no reason?

I get these student requests all the time, but this one is a bit special

The goal of the interview will be to gain more depth and understanding of the history of the black community in Brixton, how Britain responded and what is the representation nowadays for Brixton, London, and the UK at large.
Some of the questions would be:
  • what is the legacy of the Brixton riots in 1981?
  • How do you define race relations in Britain today?
  • How the relations between the police and the black community grown in Brixton?
  • Do you think that Black Lives matter nowadays?
By Tuesday, if I don't mind.

I've had this, from TFL, forwarded to me, for anyone who wants to comment on changes to the A23 between Oval and Streatham.

Good afternoon

I am writing now because we have today launched a six-month consultation on changes we have made to the A23 between Oval and Streatham. This email explains how you can find out more and reply to the consultation. We have also written to a number of other stakeholders, and to people and businesses within a 250m radius of the extents of the changes we have made.

We have introduced the changes between Oval and Streatham in a new way, and this consultation is different to those we ordinarily hold. I’ve therefore also explained what the purpose of the consultation is.

How do I respond to the consultation?

You can read more about the changes we have made and respond to the consultation on our website tfl.gov.uk/oval-streatham

You will need to register your email address with us before you can submit a response through our website. We will keep your information secure and, if you agree, we will send you updates about the changes periodically. If you would prefer not to submit a response online you can send us your thoughts in writing:

· By email to Haveyoursay@tfl.gov.uk
· By post to FREEPOST TFL HAVE YOUR SAY

Our consultation materials will shortly be available in easy-read, audio and a British Sign Language video. If you would like to receive further information about these alternative formats please let me know. We have also highlighted these alternative formats to local people living in the vicinity of the changes.

The consultation will be open for six months so you can tell us your thoughts at any time up to 17 November 2021. Your views may change over time, so please feel free to respond as many times as you wish.

What is the purpose of the consultation?

We have introduced changes to the A23 between Oval and Streatham as an experiment, so that we can monitor what effects the changes have as London continues to recover from the coronavirus. Our consultation is a key part of our monitoring of the scheme.

We are not consulting about whether or not the experimental scheme should have been introduced. However, we will need to decide, based on the outcome of the experiment, our monitoring and taking into account all the feedback we receive, what any future of the scheme should be beyond that time. We are holding this public consultation because we would like to know from you:

· What effects you think the experimental scheme is having on specific matters such as cycling, walking, traffic flow and the environment
· What effect you think the experimental scheme is having in overall terms, and whether you think it should remain in place permanently or with changes, or be removed at the end of the experiment

· Whether we should make any changes to the experimental scheme, and if so what they should be
· Any other matters about the experiment you would like us to be aware of

We will use your responses to help us decide whether:

· It is necessary for us to make any changes to the scheme during the experiment
· The scheme should be removed or retained (with or without any changes) at the end of the experiment

If you have any questions about the consultation please contact us at haveyoursay@tfl.gov.uk.

Kind regards

Fraser Macdonald
Strategic Consultations Lead
Local Communities & Partnerships
Transport for London

To subscribe to communications on engagement and consultation projects:
For notifications of new projects please register on our digital engagement platform Have your say
For updates on specific projects, please visit that project page on Have your say and subscribe to ‘Stay Informed’

I've had this, from TFL, forwarded to me, for anyone who wants to comment on changes to the A23 between Oval and Streatham.

Good afternoon

I am writing now because we have today launched a six-month consultation on changes we have made to the A23 between Oval and Streatham. This email explains how you can find out more and reply to the consultation. We have also written to a number of other stakeholders, and to people and businesses within a 250m radius of the extents of the changes we have made.

We have introduced the changes between Oval and Streatham in a new way, and this consultation is different to those we ordinarily hold. I’ve therefore also explained what the purpose of the consultation is.

How do I respond to the consultation?

You can read more about the changes we have made and respond to the consultation on our website tfl.gov.uk/oval-streatham

You will need to register your email address with us before you can submit a response through our website. We will keep your information secure and, if you agree, we will send you updates about the changes periodically. If you would prefer not to submit a response online you can send us your thoughts in writing:

· By email to Haveyoursay@tfl.gov.uk
· By post to FREEPOST TFL HAVE YOUR SAY

Our consultation materials will shortly be available in easy-read, audio and a British Sign Language video. If you would like to receive further information about these alternative formats please let me know. We have also highlighted these alternative formats to local people living in the vicinity of the changes.

The consultation will be open for six months so you can tell us your thoughts at any time up to 17 November 2021. Your views may change over time, so please feel free to respond as many times as you wish.

What is the purpose of the consultation?

We have introduced changes to the A23 between Oval and Streatham as an experiment, so that we can monitor what effects the changes have as London continues to recover from the coronavirus. Our consultation is a key part of our monitoring of the scheme.

We are not consulting about whether or not the experimental scheme should have been introduced. However, we will need to decide, based on the outcome of the experiment, our monitoring and taking into account all the feedback we receive, what any future of the scheme should be beyond that time. We are holding this public consultation because we would like to know from you:

· What effects you think the experimental scheme is having on specific matters such as cycling, walking, traffic flow and the environment
· What effect you think the experimental scheme is having in overall terms, and whether you think it should remain in place permanently or with changes, or be removed at the end of the experiment

· Whether we should make any changes to the experimental scheme, and if so what they should be
· Any other matters about the experiment you would like us to be aware of

We will use your responses to help us decide whether:

· It is necessary for us to make any changes to the scheme during the experiment
· The scheme should be removed or retained (with or without any changes) at the end of the experiment

If you have any questions about the consultation please contact us at haveyoursay@tfl.gov.uk.

Kind regards

Fraser Macdonald
Strategic Consultations Lead
Local Communities & Partnerships
Transport for London

To subscribe to communications on engagement and consultation projects:
For notifications of new projects please register on our digital engagement platform Have your say
For updates on specific projects, please visit that project page on Have your say and subscribe to ‘Stay Informed’
thanks for this. It's really unclear what the actual changes are! All I see are a few red blobs indicating a change to a bus lane.... I walk this route regularly and aside from the 24 hour bus lanes, don't recall anything different.Can you shed any light? Thanks

thanks for this. It's really unclear what the actual changes are! All I see are a few red blobs indicating a change to a bus lane.... I walk this route regularly and aside from the 24 hour bus lanes, don't recall anything different.Can you shed any light? Thanks
I think there's actually a thread about it somewhere. Things like removing parking spaces and tweaking junctions. Seemed fairly sensible low cost stuff.

Sorry, I don't know anything more.
Like you, I haven't noticed any radical changes.

Just to remind people that whilst Lambeth Council can be cryptically bad, HMG is worse.
Eurostar has just been bailed out by SNCF and four big banks.
Their pleas to Grant Shapps fell on deaf ears:
UK ministers repeatedly demurred, with transport secretary Grant Shapps saying that the company was “not our firm to rescue”
From the end of May Eurostar service to Paris will increase from two to three trains a day.
Bon voyage.

Just to remind people that whilst Lambeth Council can be cryptically bad, HMG is worse.
Eurostar has just been bailed out by SNCF and four big banks.
Their pleas to Grant Shapps fell on deaf ears:
UK ministers repeatedly demurred, with transport secretary Grant Shapps saying that the company was “not our firm to rescue”
From the end of May Eurostar service to Paris will increase from two to three trains a day.
Bon voyage.

“The UK sold its stake in Eurostar for £750m in 2015 under David Cameron’s government. It is now majority owned by French rail company SNCF, as well as two pension funds.”

unless the ukg was going to get Eurostar shares, I think not putting cash in was a good thing.

“The UK sold its stake in Eurostar for £750m in 2015 under David Cameron’s government. It is now majority owned by French rail company SNCF, as well as two pension funds.”

unless the ukg was going to get Eurostar shares, I think not putting cash in was a good thing.
I take it you like having private railway companies?

Funnily enough even if you liked Thameslink enough to pay £12.94 per Go-ahead share, they too have a French connection: Keolis co-owns Thameslink Govia with Go-ahead, and their HQ is in Paris, being owned by SNCF.

I take it you like having private railway companies?

Funnily enough even if you liked Thameslink enough to pay £12.94 per Go-ahead share, they too have a French connection: Keolis co-owns Thameslink Govia with Go-ahead, and their HQ is in Paris, being owned by SNCF.

no but bailing out sncf would be ridiculous

suspect these are coming from some a central anti terrorism budget

No government is not funding this.

The Council is using CIL/ Section 106 money to pay for the bollards.

This is money the Council gets from large developments as part of agreement for planning permission. Community Infrastructure Levy is supposed to be used for improvements that benefit local communities.

Council are stretching the definition by saying community will benefit from these bollards.

As the Council have decided to do this they should set up a budget for it. Not use these funds.

No government is not funding this.

The Council is using CIL/ Section 106 money to pay for the bollards.

This is money the Council gets from large developments as part of agreement for planning permission. Community Infrastructure Levy is supposed to be used for improvements that benefit local communities.

Council are stretching the definition by saying community will benefit from these bollards.

As the Council have decided to do this they should set up a budget for it. Not use these funds.

if so this is preposterous

Back
Top Bottom