Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Mad Max style vehicle in Coldharbour Lane!

Curious camera-laden vehicle spotted in Coldharbour Lane as filming takes place

There was a team filming in the market Tuesday evening. Their crew vans were marked "Stellar Vortex", which is the working title for Marvel's new Doctor Strange sequel.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-28 at 12.32.51 PM.jpeg

Is there any way of verifying this claim?

I am calling bullshit on the "Brixton Town Hall chimed thirteen times on the morn of Bowie's birth" story.

The "great freeze" of the winter of 1947 did not start until the fourth week of January, a fortnight after Bowie's arrival into the world.
At the start of January the conditions were generally very mild and temperatures of up to 14 °C were recorded in places.

See Brixton has lot of these colourful posters for Valerie Brown. I'm not sure if Burning Pink are official XR candidate. The manifesto does not mention XR. The ideas are XR. Replace present democracy with "peoples Assemblies". Which is Sortition. IMG_20210501_152251.jpgIMG_20210501_152138.jpg

Also termed Deliberative Democracy.

IMG_20210501_152146.jpg

Interesting. I actually would be ok with UK mainland resuming (I believe NI still does this) street signs on lamp posts for elections.

Speaking of elections. We've had Rose, two Labour leaflets and one Lib Dem. Not seen Bailey locally but I may be misremembering as we may have got one before campaign started. No sign of Greens or anyone else but we live in a very Labour place.

I've seen Bailey's stuff elsewhere, in Clapham though. As well as some anti LTN stuff which didn't seem to belong to a party.

I've no idea who/what they are past a bunch of slogans. Can't say I was chuffed seeing their Brixton Project styled posters all over a recycling bin near me.

Brixton gets plastered with 'Vote Valerie Brown' posters ahead of the 2021 London mayoral election 'Vote Valerie Brown' posters ahead of the 2021 London mayoral election

I rather liked it. Compared to nothing from Labour party in this ward.

I posted up more info on different kinds of Deliberative Democracy on this thread :

I think its a discussion to be had.

One criticism of Valerie/Pink is that Lambeth Labour Council have agreed with XR to have a Citizens Assembly on Climate change. So its not that mainstream politics is against it.

This afternoon a very tall man in shorts with a long straggly beard and a very, very loud voice was campaigning outside the tube for Piers Corbyn. No idea what he was shouting, but I'm fairly certain he didn't win any votes. I hope the rest of his life is more productive.

No queue to vote in Loughborough junction. I did go at around half five.

Voted in end for Khan as I must say the long list of candidates were disappointing.

I just could not vote Labour for the Assembly. So voted TUSC to give them at least some votes.
Same as me!

me too, but I could not 100% endorse Sadiq so I gave my first vote for mayor to Binface knowing Sadiq would get it in round 2.

Binface, Khan and Greens for the rest. Full respect to the Stewards at St Andrews primary school who did a great job managing the queue.
Count Binface wants to bring back CEEFAX. I might have voted for that if I'd know this morning.
I look forward to the return of Bakelite radios.

Brixton referenced in this Guardian piece about author Geoff Dyer.....

I moved into a slum in Brixton with a bunch of other people who had been to Oxford. The safety net provided by the welfare state, and that whole culture of dole life, wasn’t just desirable, it was a completely respectable way to live

....not sure about use of the word ‘slum’ in this context from a man of words.

Note: posts about the hotel proposed on Dorrell Place have been moved here:

Back
Top Bottom