Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Does this fall within the ambit of Delightful Dido's dept, or is it Lambeth all on its own?

Also she couldn’t tell me how to return it to tomorrow as someone else will be in charge.
You should be able to post the completed test. There's instructions in the pack on how to register it online. That's what I did anyway.

You should be able to post the completed test. There's instructions in the pack on how to register it online. That's what I did anyway.
I thought it needed to be returned to the results can be processed locally ?
I’m not surprised at the chaos as it was only announced yesterday but you would think they would have had a plan?!?

I thought it needed to be returned to the results can be processed locally ?
I’m not surprised at the chaos as it was only announced yesterday but you would think they would have had a plan?!?
The pack my wife was given for me said to post the results, although she was told I should return it there. Maybe they gave her the wrong pack. Who knows? Hopefully all the results get collated anyway.

E2A - When you compare the vaccination programme organised by the NHS (which could hardly have been better organised) with this testing (whether it's Dido' mates at Serco or Lambeth) the difference is quite amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: ash
Asking in the region of 328,000 people to attend a testing location "as soon as possible" seems a huge operation. It's a shame there isnt provision to deliver kits door to door, even if it was in batches, or to the far out parts of the borough or for high risk demographics.

Edit: as menioned on the covid thread, the accessibility (and capacity) could be improved so much by opening past 4.30pm even just for one or two evenings. Please take note and do a late evening if yer reading this, Lambeth council.

Last edited:
That block beside the timber yard on Acre Lane, currently housing a charity shop, vintage shop and florist/cafe is set to be demolished and turned into flats.

Im amazed it hasn't been already, thats a prime spot for a developer to build some luxury apartments/'affordable' rabbit hutches.

That block beside the timber yard on Acre Lane, currently housing a charity shop, vintage shop and florist/cafe is set to be demolished and turned into flats.

Im amazed it hasn't been already, thats a prime spot for a developer to build some luxury apartments/'affordable' rabbit hutches.
It’s been set to be rebuilt as flats for at least 10 years. There have been discussion about parking and schools but I’m not sure what the problem is.

Lexadon have been trying to shunt some oversized profiteering shit in there for years

I've never heard anyone mention this bit of the story before:

On Friday afternoon, a police patrol in Brixton stopped to help a black youth who had been stabbed in the back. The incident marked the beginning of a build-up of police strength and a confrontation began which erupted into violence on Saturday afternoon when a black youth was arrested outside a minicab office. Police and firemen, called to deal with fires started by Molotov cocktails, came under barrages of missiles. Cars and buildings burned and shops were looted as the battle raged. Lindsay Mackie and Mike Phillips trace the sequence of events which led to what a Methodist minister described as a "fireball of anger".

The build-up of tension which exploded on Saturday evening in the heart of Brixton began on Friday afternoon, when a police car patrol spotted a young black wandering along Railton Road with a stab wound in his back.

The police officers approached the man, intending to take him to hospital. An ambulance was called and police were bandaging the youth in the car when a group of young blacks attacked it.
anyone?

I always heard it was Operation Swamp and the ‘sus’ laws that sparked it.

anyone?

I knew this - I don't think it's a novel revelation. Clearly the situation was ready to blow up, and if it wasn't this trigger, it would have been something else.

From Wikipedia:
"Public disfavour came to a head on Friday 10 April. At around 5:15 pm a police constable spotted a black youth named Michael Bailey running towards him, apparently away from three other black youths. Bailey was stopped and found to be badly bleeding, but broke away from the constable. Stopped again on Atlantic Road, Bailey was found to have a four-inch stab wound.[17] Bailey ran into a flat and was helped by a family and the police constable there by putting kitchen roll on his wound. A crowd gathered and, as the police then tried to take the wounded boy to a waiting minicab on Railton Road, the crowd tried to intervene thinking the police did not appear to be providing or seeking the medical help Bailey needed quickly enough. As the minicab pulled away at speed a police car arrived and stopped the cab. When an officer from the police car realised Bailey was injured he moved him into the back of the police car to take him to hospital more quickly, and bound his wound more tightly to stop the bleeding. A group of 50 youths began to shout for Bailey's release, thinking the police were arresting him. "Look, they’re killing him," claimed one. The crowd descended on the police car and pulled him out.

Rumours spread that a youth had been left to die by the police, or that the police looked on as the stabbed youth was lying on the street. Over 200 youths, black and white with predominantly Afro-Caribbean heritage reportedly turned on the police. In response the police decided to increase the number of police foot patrols in Railton Road, despite the tensions, and carry on with Operation Swamp 81 throughout the night and into the following day"

"By now relations between the police and the black youth were very tense. Then, at 6.20pm on Friday, 10 April, a group of 100 black youths surrounded a police car in which a black youth, Michael Bailey, who had been wounded in a fight, was being held, and released him. Sixty police reinforcements, with riot shields and dogs, arrived and a 20-minute battle ensued. Two police vehicles had their windows smashed and the police, after making eight arrests, made a ’tactical’ withdrawal (Guardian 11.4.81)"

Found via "The 'riots'". Race & Class, 23(2-3), 223–232, using SciHub

Think the population of Lambeth is 300,000 or thereabouts and there are 3 or 4 testing centres
fairly predictable it would be chaos.
There are 12 sites:

QoXfJiy.jpg

From How to get a test

Anyone know the 4 letter code for Brixton town hall to register online. Mine is scribbled on and whatever I put in isn’t recognised !🙄

you can pick up home pcr tests in loads of places - I picked up mine at new park road.

That’s lateral flow tests . They want people to do PCR tests so they can be tested in the lab to check the type of genomic variant if positive. Lateral flow tests literally only give you an indication of whether you have the virus. That’s why they ask you to do a PCR test if your lateral flow test is positive.

Reactions: ash
Just tried to book an appointment at the Somerleyton Road site. You can do that by dialling 119 if you don't have a mobile phone. There are no appontments available but there might be if I call back tomorrow morning.

anyone?

I was in Brixton in 81.

Operation Swamp was in your face policing. I remember groups of police on every street corner coming into Brixton. As I then lived in Central Brixton I eventually was stopped and searched.

This blanket form of policing aimed at one area of Lambeth where a lot of Black people lived inevitably was perceived as oppressive. Rather than making local community feel safer.

So after a week or so of this tensions had risen. One incident then could easily spark off what became a riot.

Here is a quirky article from the LSE about London riots through the ages.
The bit about Brixton 81 is succinct and I believe accurate:

In January 1981 the dreadful ‘Deptford Fire’ at a party attended by young black people killed thirteen. The cause was almost certainly arson though no one was charged with the crime. Many thought it was a racist act, made worse by what seemed an inadequate investigation by the Metropolitan Police. A ‘Black People’s Day of Action’ in March led to some fighting between marchers and bystanders in central London. That April the Special Patrol Group of the Met undertook – not for the first time – an operation against street crime in Lambeth. It was codenamed Swamp 81. The Brixton Disorders were the most sustained and serious riots of the century in London. They were sparked by a PC attending a young black man who had been stabbed, but whom passers-by assumed had been beaten by the police. Within half an hour a riot had broken out with the police as its target. Over the next day and night, 279 police and 45 members of the public were injured and 145 buildings damaged, 28 by fire. There was extensive looting. One in three of those arrested was white. That summer there were further anti-police riots in Lambeth, Southall, Wood Green, Dalston and in more than twenty other places in the capital.

http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/39388/1/bl...ity_and_injustice_is_always_likely_to_bre.pdf

Here is a quirky article from the LSE about London riots through the ages.
The bit about Brixton 81 is succinct and I believe accurate:

In January 1981 the dreadful ‘Deptford Fire’ at a party attended by young black people killed thirteen. The cause was almost certainly arson though no one was charged with the crime. Many thought it was a racist act, made worse by what seemed an inadequate investigation by the Metropolitan Police. A ‘Black People’s Day of Action’ in March led to some fighting between marchers and bystanders in central London. That April the Special Patrol Group of the Met undertook – not for the first time – an operation against street crime in Lambeth. It was codenamed Swamp 81. The Brixton Disorders were the most sustained and serious riots of the century in London. They were sparked by a PC attending a young black man who had been stabbed, but whom passers-by assumed had been beaten by the police. Within half an hour a riot had broken out with the police as its target. Over the next day and night, 279 police and 45 members of the public were injured and 145 buildings damaged, 28 by fire. There was extensive looting. One in three of those arrested was white. That summer there were further anti-police riots in Lambeth, Southall, Wood Green, Dalston and in more than twenty other places in the capital.

http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/39388/1/bl...ity_and_injustice_is_always_likely_to_bre.pdf

Interesting to the point article. Agree with his summing up of the thread of continuity of riots across centuries in London.

For London is and always has been an unfairly-structured city. It promises the world to its citizens and flaunts
daily what the richest among them can expect, what in reality few can obtain, and what many are excluded
from altogether. The structures are maintained by a system of justice that tends to favour those who have
over those who have not. From time to time this unfairness, and that system, become repugnant,
occasionally intolerable. And when that happens some Londoners will erupt in fury

Back
Top Bottom