Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

The question is how you know where the traffic that you currently see on Coldharbour Lane would have been instead, had the LTNs not happened.
But this is probably for the other thread...
This is the question that Lambeth should have been prepared to answer when they set up the LTNs. Will traffic/pollution be displaced with the introduction of LTNs? The paper referenced in the guardian article is interesting but not particularly relevant for the main issues people have with LTNs.

FWIW, I am a big fan of what the LTNs want to achieve but they have been implemented poorly and I think the council are not engaging in good faith with constituents.

This is the question that Lambeth should have been prepared to answer when they set up the LTNs. Will traffic/pollution be displaced with the introduction of LTNs? The paper referenced in the guardian article is interesting but not particularly relevant for the main issues people have with LTNs.
It so happens they've just released a bunch of data looking at this question.

When you invoke fascism in the context of traffic schemes you should know you've lost the argument.
There isn't an argument. There is negligible evidence. It simply a matter of belief.
The figures teuchter has put up are all percentages.
It doesn't take Tim Harford of Radio Four More or Less to point out this is meaningless without absolute numbers too.

There isn't an argument. There is negligible evidence. It simply a matter of belief.
The figures teuchter has put up are all percentages.
It doesn't take Tim Harford of Radio Four More or Less to point out this is meaningless without absolute numbers too.
The absolute numbers are there too.

I read an interesting and detailed obituary of Bunny Wailer in the Telegraph yesterday - even better on their website with some old photos. Makes me wonder why the paper always receives so many derogatory remarks on the forum.

Dave

I read an interesting and detailed obituary of Bunny Wailer in the Telegraph yesterday - even better on their website with some old photos. Makes me wonder why the paper always receives so many derogatory remarks on the forum.

Dave
Cos it’s very right wing and pro-Establishment

I got letter about the next Lambeth Made Community meeting on 18th March by Zoom

I attended the last meeting and was not impressed.
2021-03-07_035619.jpg
Letter has no minutes of last meeting nor does the website. Letter does say we identified five priorities. Which I dont remember.

I looked at the map on the commonplace. People had put specific concerns. Nothing on the commonplace website about how these comments were dealt with. If at all.

It comes across to me as wooly Council box ticking exercise.

Particularly irritating is 2 Enouraging more people to volunteer.

I got feeling at last meeting that the Council response to issues people flag is to ask them what they are going to do about it. Not the Council.

Like people have enough to do keeping head above water with the pandemic.

There was someone there at last meeting complaining about Railton LTN.

The cops weren't very chatty but I think they may have broken up a gathering in Station Road yesterday. Anyone know more?

1615162388557.png

The cops weren't very chatty but I think they may have broken up a gathering in Station Road yesterday. Anyone know more?

if thats the case, perhaps the people living on the street and Police ran out of patience, as most times i've walked down Station Road of an evening there has been some kind of gathering occurring, usually with a small sound system, particularly in the warmer months.

Lambeth Libraries has upgraded its online book/magazine app, from RBdigital to:

Libby

I have just downloaded and registered - you need a Lambeth Library card, with a membership number (found on the back, underneath the barcode). Type in the number, just as it stands, with the various letters, and the spacings.

I must say it's remarkable, there are tens of thousands of books, and thousands of magazines and audiobooks. And they're not rubbish or obscure - plenty of very familiar titles (eg Vogue, New Scientist, Economist). I might never need to buy a book or magazine again ! This is an example of real value provided by Lambeth to the community.

Ed: I think this is a story that could be published on Brixton Buzz, the people should know.

Last edited:
I hear the police have been searching the gardens of the houses of “Abbeville Village” for the missing woman. 🙁

Women’s Strike Assembly in Windrush Square, Brixton yesterday

In photos: Women's Strike 2021 in Windrush Square, Brixton

Lambeth Libraries has upgraded its online book/magazine app, from RBdigital to:

Libby

I have just downloaded and registered - you need a Lambeth Library card, with a membership number (found on the back, underneath the barcode). Type in the number, just as it stands, with the various letters, and the spacings.

I must say it's remarkable, there are tens of thousands of books, and thousands of magazines and audiobooks. And they're not rubbish or obscure - plenty of very familiar titles (eg Vogue, New Scientist, Economist). I might never need to buy a book or magazine again ! This is an example of real value provided by Lambeth to the community.

Ed: I think this is a story that could be published on Brixton Buzz, the people should know.
I was about to write about it but it's not working for me. I registered for a library account here Profile - Lambeth but when I input my library account number into the app UNREG0000**** I get 'invalid library card. Not a valid Lambeth Libraries card' (even though the library page says that it's an active account)

The Lambeth site also says:
How do I get a library card?
You can register online on this page: Join The Library.
Clicking on that link takes me to a blank page.

So do I physically have to go the library to get this card? Seems a bit confusing/bit of a faff, if so.

I've written to the library anyway but I cant write anything until I can explain it in a foolproof manner!

Last edited:
I was about to write about it but it's not working for me. I registered for a library account here Profile - Lambeth but when I input my library account number into the app UNREG0000**** I get 'invalid library card. Not a valid Lambeth Libraries card' (even though the library page says that it's an active account)

The Lambeth site also says:
Clicking on that link takes me to a blank page.

So do I physically have to go the library to get this card? Seems a bit confusing/bit of a faff, if so.

I've written to the library anyway but I cant write anything until I can explain it in a foolproof manner!

I get a page to choose which library to join but having put in all my details then get a ‘invalid email format’ message - no matter what email address I use.

Ah their web form is crap - email address can’t start with a capital letter (although the default for the email address field is to start with an auto cap on the first word). Making it lower case let me join.

Newsnight had an interview tonight with Rev Guy Hewitt - former High Commissioner of Barbados. Emily Maitliss was pressing him on the Megan situation, Rev Guy was more concerned to stress that Barbados was likely to become a Republic, and in his view should do following the accession of King Charles.

As well as being an Anglican priest Guy Hewitt has a role with the Barbados political establishment. Possibly an updated and democratically selected Cardinal Wolsey?

Funnily enough I've seen the Reverend Guy in action a couple of times. He's been to St John's Angell Town in Brixton as a locum. Rev Rosemarie Mallet got him to do holiday cover for her at St Johns some years back. Talk about social gospel. I have seldom heard sermons so devoid of religious content.

Guy Hewitt would have resonated with the former Bishop of Woolwich, Dr John Robinson whose book Honest to God caused a storm in the 60s. Secular times require secular theology said Dr Robinson.

Back
Top Bottom