Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

My fav pub's menu is hilarious. Chips, cheesy chips or nachos. No napkin fork or salt available. Designed so a plate, almost full remained on every table all night.
Great to see everyone though.

My fav pub's menu is hilarious. Chips, cheesy chips or nachos. No napkin fork or salt available. Designed so a plate, almost full remained on every table all night.
Great to see everyone though.
No vinegar or ketchup either :mad:

Compared to some pubs I've visited recently, they're actually making a much bigger effort than most!

The loos are great. A lock that works! No flooding! Hot water!
So nice to have been back. 9 month absence.
I fucking love pubs. And it's going to really hurt not being able to share the drinking fun with any DJ gigs this Christmas, both financially and for the health of my noggin.

NYE is going to be very strange. I imagine my estate will ring out to private parties all night.

see the grinches at the council are at it again:

Today by Gerlinde Gniewosz, Organiser
Lambeth Council, its property development company Homes for Lambeth and its advisors Savills, appear to have concurred that Christmas time is the perfect time to consult the residents of Cressingham Gardens and the wider community. Demolition and destruction of people’s homes full of memories are just the things that every person wants to talk about (not) over Christmas dinner. And yet, to make it truly jolly, Lambeth council has decided to double down on this tactic and to do TWO consultations in parallel that relate to Cressingham Gardens and the council’s intended destruction of the community.

The first consultation is a planning application for the demolition of Ropers Walk, the purported first phase of the council demolition plans. How many phases there will be, we don’t know, because the council seems to think it makes full sense to move ahead without even putting the master plan in place first.

The second consultation is regarding the extension of the Brockwell Park Conservation Area. In 2013, English Heritage stated that the entirety of Cressingham Gardens ought to be included. Lambeth council officers claimed at that stage they were too busy to even consider the request. Now that there is an extension of the boundaries being proposed, they have decided to ignore the report and the supporting letters from leading organisations in this area.

Please spread the word, as we need as many people as possible to feed into the consultations. More information on how to object / participate in the consultations can be found at: Cressingham Gardens dealt a nasty double consultation for Christmas …

On a somewhat positive note, we have been able to engage legal support to advise the community for the planning application. This is critical as the council has stated in its notice to some (not all) residents that comments ought to be submitted by 21 December 2020 for the planning application.

I fucking love pubs. And it's going to really hurt not being able to share the drinking fun with any DJ gigs this Christmas, both financially and for the health of my noggin.

NYE is going to be very strange. I imagine my estate will ring out to private parties all night.
I managed to get a single pint in the White Horse on Friday evening. No scotch egg, no booking. Just a pint of Guinness. Just me on my own. Twenty five minutes in and out.
Really sound girl doing the bookings at the door.
There was the smell and the sound of pub. I did the Guardian crossword on my phone. It was fucking beautiful.

So who wants a big Christmas tree? The Railway has two big trees that they need to get rid of because they've been forced to close. Call them on 02086744101

I got to the Albert about half 6 last night and almost every pump, bar the Guinness and the craft Beaverton muck, had already been drunk dry. It was a full house and the normal rules that had plagued the place since reopening had rather gone out the window. No one was complaining.

Thanks to the manager who sold me a 5 litre keg of Paulaner German lager (scanning through the till at £30) for £2.

I've just realised that this thread started on 24 December 2019. Does that mean that we've been in winter since then? Did editor have a premonition about the year to come ?? :(:bigeyes:
I have wondered the same myself......

Similar to this, no?

Paul_Fu%CC%88rst_Der_Doctor_Schnabel_von_Rom_Holla%CC%88nder_version.jpg

Our Pungent History: Sweat, Perfume, and the Scent of Death | Collectors Weekly

....posted 28/12/2019.

Very glad its back. I feel as if the self service tills have cunningly been put in a corner with obstacles to stop people trying to go through them with entire trolley loads and holding those who only have a few bits up for 15 minutes, as was the case with the previous incarnation. The member of staff in charge of them is a lot less flustered and overworked too.

I like a traditional small hand basket - not a wheeled plastic monster which forces you to play dodgems with other customers trying to pass on the newly narrowed aisles.
The new queuing arrangement in the self service area won't solve their problem with people doing a runner by sending the checker/validator to change an item, but it may stop checkout queues stretching to the back of dairy at very busy times.

I was hoping for some demerara sugar, which disappeared from Camberwell Lidl weeks ago. There is a shelf space and price tag but no demerara sugar in the new Acre Lane superstore. I can only assume demerara sugar from Guyana is one of the commodities which has been off-loaded in Rotterdam due to a traffic jam at the Felixstowe container ports.

Agreed, the big baskets on wheels which are now your only option, are a pain in the arse. Although, they are quite nifty to whip around the corners of the new narrow aisles.

I like a traditional small hand basket - not a wheeled plastic monster which forces you to play dodgems with other customers trying to pass on the newly narrowed aisles.
The new queuing arrangement in the self service area won't solve their problem with people doing a runner by sending the checker/validator to change an item, but it may stop checkout queues stretching to the back of dairy at very busy times.

I was hoping for some demerara sugar, which disappeared from Camberwell Lidl weeks ago. There is a shelf space and price tag but no demerara sugar in the new Acre Lane superstore. I can only assume demerara sugar from Guyana is one of the commodities which has been off-loaded in Rotterdam due to a traffic jam at the Felixstowe container ports.
All sugar will be extracted from beets post brexit.

All sugar will be extracted from beets post brexit.
I don't think that is so necessarily. Theoretically imported sugar from the Caribbean and Mauritius ought to be cheaper, due to no import tariff, although Reuters claim this will largely benefit Brazil

For a note on EU tariffs see here: Tariffs on sugars explained - Ragus

This article in The Grocer posits a situation under no deal where sugar beet producers become uneconomic - the opposite of what you are suggesting.

I hasten to say that I do like Demerara sugar in my coffee - but this doesn't extend to Brexit, or the demise of the UK sugar beet industry. I had a pleasant Christmas 1973 working in the British Sugar Corporation factory in Bury St Edmunds - saving for a gap year trip to India.

I was trying to book swimming at the Rec and could not.

Looked up and what is Tier 4?

This passed me by.

Was it decided today?

I think swimming pool may be closed again.

Reactions: CH1
Yup, tier 4 was announced this afternoon, comes in at midnight tonight.

(Least of your worries, but yes, indoor pools & gyms are closed, but outdoor pools are allowed to stay open, and both Charlton Lido & London Fields Lido - which are outdoors but heated - have tweeted they will stay open.

I expect Brockwell & Tooting (both unheated) will also be open, though not confirmed yet)

I was trying to book swimming at the Rec and could not.

Looked up and what is Tier 4?

This passed me by.

Was it decided today?

I think swimming pool may be closed again.
Definitely - it's on the list.
Should've had a hair cut this week. Looks like it may be some time before they reopen.

Yup, tier 4 was announced this afternoon, comes in at midnight tonight.

(Least of your worries, but yes, indoor pools & gyms are closed, outdoor pools are allowed to stay open, and both Charlton Lido & London Fields Lido - which are outdoors but heated - have tweeted they will stay open.

I expect Brockwell & Tooting (both unheated) will also be open, though not confirmed yet)

Brockwell is confirmed. Tooting isn't

Back
Top Bottom