Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Anyone know where this is For sale: this striking skinny house in Brixton packs in maximalist interiors and space-saving ideas ?
It got ½ a page of coverage in the Evening Standard on Thursday - but not enough clout to appear as an online article.
I wondered if the house is round the Morrish Road area, but judging by a walk-around on Googel maps, that's not it.

The place pops up from time to time since 2015 in property pages - as does a similar "narrow house" on Champion Hill SE5.
TBF some of the interior features are stunning, in particular the staircase.

Having said that, it doesn't look robust enough to withstand the weight of, say, two adults carrying a piece of furniture upstairs. Or just one adult carrying nothing, for that matter :hmm:

TBF some of the interior features are stunning, in particular the staircase.

Having said that, it doesn't look robust enough to withstand the weight of, say, two adults carrying a piece of furniture upstairs. Or just one adult carrying nothing, for that matter :hmm:

“The new staircase was created in three sections off-site, made from mild steel”

The exposed outer edges of the staircase are also an accident waiting to happen. Never mind children, one trip at the wrong place towards them and you could give yourself a pirate-style face slash.

I guess the fact that it was professionally designed and installed by people who do interior design for a living must mean that it is legal to have stairs without any kind of railings or safeguards? I’d have thought in a country as safety conscious as this that would be a no-no...

The exposed outer edges of the staircase are also an accident waiting to happen. Never mind children, one trip at the wrong place towards them and you could give yourself a pirate-style face slash.

I guess the fact that it was professionally designed and installed by people who do interior design for a living must mean that it is legal to have stairs without any kind of railings or safeguards? I’d have thought in a country as safety conscious as this that would be a no-no...

The stairway would not comply with building regulations.

It's not unknown for stairs to be built with a handrail to satisfy the building inspector, and then the handrail later removed.

Quite what the legal status of that situation is, when it's a private home, I've never been entirely clear. The building regulations regulate what you can and can't build... they are not really concerned with what happens once a building is occupied. In a public building or rented home, then obviously the owner has a responsibility to make sure the building is safe, and they'd have a hard time arguing that a staircase that would not comply with building regulations is "safe".

But if it's someone's private home? The decision to remove the handrail is taken by the same people who are going to hurt themselves if they fall as a result. I suppose it would get more complicated if a visitor injured themselves.

I like this tree

Nice one. So much more attractive than the Tunstall Road affair opposite the tube which usually looks like it has only narrowly survived a riot.

I like this tree

it is a nice tree
just wondering to myself outdoor Christmas trees have always had some sort of fencing around them? It’s something I’ve noticed the past few years but doesn’t seem to me like it’s always been the case, unless I just never paid that much attention to it

it is a nice tree
just wondering to myself outdoor Christmas trees have always had some sort of fencing around them? It’s something I’ve noticed the past few years but doesn’t seem to me like it’s always been the case, unless I just never paid that much attention to it
You really have not been paying much attention if the last decade or two of annual discussion of fencing around christmas trees has passed you by.

You really have not been paying much attention if the last decade or two of annual discussion of fencing around christmas trees has passed you by.

the concentration span just isn’t what it once was :D. Might try out dodgy looking fencing on mine (if I ever get round to putting it up) and see if the child ignores it

Glad to see that - walking all the way from stockwell Lidl with a heavy shopping trolley was a real drag. Hope the distancing and mask wearing rules in there are improved since my last visit.

This interesting - an art project about empathy in the time of COVID. It currently has a physical manifestation in Dalberg Road.

"This project celebrates a group of 34 extraordinary people, ranging from a midwife and a supermarket worker to an undertaker and an anaesthetist. Each of these storytellers shares their wisdom, kindness, hopes and fears in this unique portrait of life during the pandemic."

Attachments

• Michelle-Dalberg.jpeg
    Michelle-Dalberg.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom