Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

I think so too. Haircut starts at £60! And it’s not even a hairdresser I’ve heard of.

Meanwhile there’s no sign of the Portuguese butcher coming back and all the shops in Herne Hill are still empty - and seem to be subject to a possession order. Not sure what’s going on there.

I think so too. Haircut starts at £60! And it’s not even a hairdresser I’ve heard of.

Meanwhile there’s no sign of the Portuguese butcher coming back and all the shops in Herne Hill are still empty - and seem to be subject to a possession order. Not sure what’s going on there.

Is it the one about The High Court etc.? If it is they put those on all the unoccupied arches when they took over the management of the arches. They did it to all the ones next to us (I work in an arch),in Bethnal Green.

I think it was basically The Arch Co. stating their claim/ownership of all the arches when ownership transferred from Network Rail (?).

When the refurbished ones come on the market the rents are north of £75k pa so a unrefurbished Arch further down Atlantic Road at £50k pa is now considered ‘ cheap ‘ in Brickers ( Brixton to me & you ! )

Is it the one about The High Court etc.? If it is they put those on all the unoccupied arches when they took over the management of the arches. They did it to all the ones next to us (I work in an arch),in Bethnal Green.

I think it was basically The Arch Co. stating their claim/ownership of all the arches when ownership transferred from Network Rail (?).
They only just appeared and there was a. Hearing on Wednesday apparently.

There was a squatters occupation notice up. Repossession notice is addressed to the occupants IIRC.

We have two massive craters in our road. There was a burst water pipe on Friday and Thames Walter came to fix it - but managed to knacker another one not far from our house when they turned the water off! It then leaked for more than 24 hours because Thames Water thought we were reporting the leak that had been fixed. So I was kept awake half the night by workmen digging up the road. Happy days!

Brixton's most famous homophobe scum are coming under pressure

The Church of Yahawashi are inciting violence and hatred. It's time for the authorities to act. – HOPE not hate

Brixton 1 - Twelve Tribes of Israel 0. Homophobic street preachers forced out of Windrush Square, June 2016

I enjoyed this day, mind: Brixton 1 – Twelve Tribes of Israel 0. Homophobic street preachers forced out of Windrush Square

Some Brixton designer got in touch with me asking if I'd do a feature on his chandeliers, which were made from 'upcycled' NOS canisters. Granted they looked lovely and its great to see these pesky things being reused but at £3,000 a pop I had to refuse as I'm not into promoting luxury products to locals. But if anyone has got the kind of dosh for a NOS chandelier, I'll happily pass on the details.

This is the timber frame of the new building going up on Bellfeilds Road. Apparently it’s gonna be clad in brick that matches the Squires building and all of the timber frame will be exposed inside.

Attachments

• E5ADD190-CEB5-4B2E-A0EE-38004FE103FA.jpeg
    E5ADD190-CEB5-4B2E-A0EE-38004FE103FA.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 20
This is the timber frame of the new building going up on Bellfeilds Road. Apparently it’s gonna be clad in brick that matches the Squires building and all of the timber frame will be exposed inside.
Well they've got loads of money to throw around, what with all their super rich clients. Maybe they'll be another exclusive bar for the elite in this building too?

Looks nice, at least not some generic office block style building clad in crap materials. Hopefully will stand test of time and still be around in years to come and will many different tenants and uses.

Money is probably required for anything to be built. Who it’s for I don’t know, but the same people helped the Friends of Windmill gardens realise the creation of there new visitors centre. Should we deny the Windmill that after many years of fund raising?
No, they deserve the very best, but PR-pumped, press-primed, super-rich newcomers shouldn't be allowed to eclipse the more humble efforts of those locals who have been supporting the Windmill long before this lot showed up.

And as for this new build - if it's only for the benefit of the well heeled, well connected nu-Brixton mob, I couldn't give a fuck. No doubt they'll do a few well promoted, press gathering 'community' events and then it will turn into the same exclusive bullshit as their private members bar.

And yes, I really hope I'm proved wrong, but the way they kept their super-exclusive members bar reserved for the elite suggests otherwise.

Last edited:
Looks nice, at least not some generic office block style building clad in crap materials. Hopefully will stand test of time and still be around in years to come and will many different tenants and uses.
Looks like any other nondescript modern office development to me

2020-01-31_124000.jpg

2020-01-31_124132.jpg

But there will be an exclusive bar there, thank heavens! And terraces so you can look down at the ordinary folks below.

I really don't think Brixton needs yet another pub, but according to Squire, it's just a "nice to have" to subsidise the rent for the start ups that will occupy the offices above. I can't say I'm looking forward to having it on my doorstep.

On a totally different tack from normal, I was shocked and taken aback this afternoon en route to Lidl to see this amazing piece on offer at the British Heart Foundation shop in Acre Lane.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
I do actually have a harmonium at home - a smaller device which I inherited from my maternal grandparents. But it doesn't work very well as the bellows are perished.
This Canadian harmonium, which BHF have on Ebay really gives me a buzz. Is there a higher order of trainspotters who feel attracted to harmoniums?

On a totally different tack from normal, I was shocked and taken aback this afternoon en route to Lidl to see this amazing piece on offer at the British Heart Foundation shop in Acre Lane.
View attachment 197450
I do actually have a harmonium at home - a smaller device which I inherited from my maternal grandparents. But it doesn't work very well as the bellows are perished.
This Canadian harmonium, which BHF have on Ebay really gives me a buzz. Is there a higher order of trainspotters who feel attracted to harmoniums?

would have been at home in the Canterbury

Back
Top Bottom