Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

I went to Tate Britain today and caught this quite engrossing film installation by someone I. had never heard of.

Mark Leckey: O' Magic Power of Bleakness – Exhibition at Tate Britain | Tate

It ends this weekend.

I liked it. Looking him up and he had a band at 414,
When Wood got a job at the Tate in 2002, she asked him to make a performance work. At the time, he had been performing with a band he had formed, called donAteller. She remembered the first gig, at the 414 Club in Brixton. Ed Laliq, then the sole other member, was an androgynously beautiful young man, “wearing large-mesh fishnets and gold hotpants”. Leckey was in “a mac and a baseball cap”. Laliq sang, Leckey lurked in the background providing shouted interjections. The songs were cover versions of tracks by artists like Missy Elliott and All Saints. Some record label people came in, “and clearly thought it was terrible”, remembered Wood. “I thought it was one of the best things I’d ever seen.”

How Mark Leckey became the artist of the YouTube generation | Charlotte Higgins

Looks like London is getting a major upgrade to the power network by building huge new tunnel thats 32km in length. Seems the tunnel is going to straight through Brixton running under Coldharbour lane. A major shaft is being built on corner of Acre lane and Kings Avenue with work starting in March 2020.

Tunnel route – London Power Tunnels
Project summary – London Power Tunnels
19/01264/LDCP | Application for a Certificate of Lawful Development (Proposed) with respect to construction of London Power Tunnels II tunnel including the installation of electric cables and construction of a shaft and temporary construction site. | 159 Acre Lane London SW2 5UA

Maybe not the right place to put this but thought might be of interest to some, just hope all goes to plan with no impact to everything above ground!

Looks like London is getting a major upgrade to the power network by building huge new tunnel thats 32km in length. Seems the tunnel is going to straight through Brixton running under Coldharbour lane. A major shaft is being built on corner of Acre lane and Kings Avenue with work starting in March 2020.

19/01264/LDCP | Application for a Certificate of Lawful Development (Proposed) with respect to construction of London Power Tunnels II tunnel including the installation of electric cables and construction of a shaft and temporary construction site. | 159 Acre Lane London SW2 5UA

Maybe not the right place to put this but thought might be of interest to some, just hope all goes to plan with no impact to everything above ground!
I seem to recall the shafts are for letting heat out which may be used to power homes / businesses.

I went to Tate Britain today and caught this quite engrossing film installation by someone I. had never heard of.

Mark Leckey: O' Magic Power of Bleakness – Exhibition at Tate Britain | Tate

It ends this weekend.

I liked it. Looking him up and he had a band at 414,

How Mark Leckey became the artist of the YouTube generation | Charlotte Higgins
I'm staying a couple of miles from the actual underpass on the M53 now. I meant to pay a pilgrimage to it after going to the Tate, so if I get a minute I'll pop over and take a picture so you can see how close the replica is ;)

I feel devastated by this. Like Arthur Dent being confronted by the officials warning of the hypergalactic by-pass - only minutes before Earth is due to be vapourised.

Had you studied the paperwork? The schedule of people affected is long, but patchy. And possibly now inaccurate.
eg Young & Co Brewery regarding the pub at 123 Acre Lane.

also Network Rail regarding the railway bridge by the Atlantic/Dogstar. Isn't the railway viaduct now owned by "The Arches Company"?

I notice Greene King have complained because they thought trade at their pub "The Alexandra" sat Clapham Common would be affected. This is what they were told: "There will be no perceptible effect from the Circuit 1 project that would interfere with the Objector's trade. The rights sought in the CPO are both proportionate and necessary
and will be explained and justified further in evidence at the public inquiry. The Acquiring Authority has made extensive efforts to contact and negotiate private treaty agreements with all persons with a relevant interest in land."

So there. What I find weird about all this is that although "consultations" were apparently conducted two years ago, this high voltage cable system appears to be going right past my front door (albeit 10 metres down) and I don't recall being consulted at all.

I remember back in the early 1990s people used to complain about mobile phone masts - because they believed radiation from them was harmful (before they got addicted to it).

Maybe the National Grid Electricity Tranmission PLC didn't fancy sparking off an epidemic of people worrying about a 275 kV transmission cable under their bedroom floor? After all there were lots of people at one time who objected to living under electricity pylons.

And of course magnetic radiation from high voltage pylons affects property values, apart from causing cancer
What are the health risks of living near pylons? - EMF Detection

I was hoping Wikipedia might comment on this issue - since they try to be scientifically accurate.
There is nothing immediately available - though this useful article on "Undergrounding" is interesting.
Undergrounding - Wikipedia
One thing I note is that long runs of underground cable can be problematic with AC supplies due to capacitance of the cable and other issues This is obviated by reverting to DC - which would presumably overcome the voodoo objections of proximity to magnetic fluctuations from an AC cable system. Whether anyone in the UK has the intelligence to device a mixed AC/DC system I rather doubt in the age of Boris. Maybe we might need to import German engineers?

I feel devastated by this. Like Arthur Dent being confronted by the officials warning of the hypergalactic by-pass - only minutes before Earth is due to be vapourised.

Had you studied the paperwork? The schedule of people affected is long, but patchy. And possibly now inaccurate.
eg Young & Co Brewery regarding the pub at 123 Acre Lane.

also Network Rail regarding the railway bridge by the Atlantic/Dogstar. Isn't the railway viaduct now owned by "The Arches Company"?

I notice Greene King have complained because they thought trade at their pub "The Alexandra" sat Clapham Common would be affected. This is what they were told: "There will be no perceptible effect from the Circuit 1 project that would interfere with the Objector's trade. The rights sought in the CPO are both proportionate and necessary
and will be explained and justified further in evidence at the public inquiry. The Acquiring Authority has made extensive efforts to contact and negotiate private treaty agreements with all persons with a relevant interest in land."

So there. What I find weird about all this is that although "consultations" were apparently conducted two years ago, this high voltage cable system appears to be going right past my front door (albeit 10 metres down) and I don't recall being consulted at all.

I remember back in the early 1990s people used to complain about mobile phone masts - because they believed radiation from them was harmful (before they got addicted to it).

Maybe the National Grid Electricity Tranmission PLC didn't fancy sparking off an epidemic of people worrying about a 275 kV transmission cable under their bedroom floor? After all there were lots of people at one time who objected to living under electricity pylons.

And of course magnetic radiation from high voltage pylons affects property values, apart from causing cancer
What are the health risks of living near pylons? - EMF Detection

I was hoping Wikipedia might comment on this issue - since they try to be scientifically accurate.
There is nothing immediately available - though this useful article on "Undergrounding" is interesting.
Undergrounding - Wikipedia
One thing I note is that long runs of underground cable can be problematic with AC supplies due to capacitance of the cable and other issues This is obviated by reverting to DC - which would presumably overcome the voodoo objections of proximity to magnetic fluctuations from an AC cable system. Whether anyone in the UK has the intelligence to device a mixed AC/DC system I rather doubt in the age of Boris. Maybe we might need to import German engineers?

Had a brief look at the paper work, but not the details. the project seems to have gone under the radar a little bit and now past any point that discussion can be had, i saw nothing of these public consultations even though its going past my front door as well.

Hate these so much! There's a major distributor based in Josephine Avenue. Occasionally when I find the canisters littered around I collect them up and return them to the source. Hopefully they then take responsibility and recycle them.

I don’t think I can reply to a message in previous autumn thread (or at least i can’t work out how to) but was in the Hand in Hand on Sunday. I liked it - it’s basically the same as before, only cosier. There’s carpet for a start (which is not typical of pub refits nowadays) - and they don’t appear to be doing food which means it’s a pub for drinkers.

Only two real ales so doesn’t really feel like a craft beer pub.

I don’t think I can reply to a message in previous autumn thread (or at least i can’t work out how to) but was in the Hand in Hand on Sunday. I liked it - it’s basically the same as before, only cosier. There’s carpet for a start (which is not typical of pub refits nowadays) - and they don’t appear to be doing food which means it’s a pub for drinkers.

Only two real ales so doesn’t really feel like a craft beer pub.
But it seems that they're doing live music again?

No sign of it on Sunday, but given the layout is exactly the same then it’s obivously possible.

Not that I have been a regular in there, but seemed to me the clientele was pretty much the same as before as well

Incredibly, the 'Brixton to be renamed East Clapham' story seems to be picking up again. :facepalm: 😂
The reverse is often now true. I've seen lots of estate agent blurbs (not that I like to spend huge amounts of time reading them) describe homes that are clearly in SW4 as 'convenient for all that Brixton offers' etc. Obviously the word 'vibrant' is often thrown in too...

Twitter
@NormanJayMBE Replying to @djjjfrost
Let us not forget that #JohnnyLawes did some fantastic work during his time running the world famous #BrixtonAcademy back in the day, especially during a time when no other black man had previously held such an important position. #respecttothat
https://twitter.com/Atomicdread
1578502637504.png
1578502188332.png
Johnny Lawes who managed the Academy in the 90s pictured here with Simon Parkes who bought the Brixton Academy in 1983 for £1, Johnny died on the 7th December, the funeral was this afternoon, quite an exotic send off from the Academy.

1578502012484.png 1578502112971.png

Lots of young cos-play attired types outside Brixton Academy?
Seems be a new place opening next to it?

Anyone any ideas?

Yep friends came up to stay with us whilst their kid went to it.
Vocaloid or something.
Hologram singers with a backing band - Japanese.
She was clutching an "approved" light stick that had cost her £30.
Apparently the Academy had not seen fit to mention it on their hoarding - guess that if you didn't know about it already, you wouldn't be target audience

She hugely enjoyed it, but the clips I have seen make me think it is not for those over 20

ETA
Have googled for the education of all
Hatsune Miku

Hatsune Miku (Japanese: 初音ミク) is the name of a Vocaloid software voicebank developed by Crypton Future Media and its official moe anthropomorph, a 16-year-old girl with long, turquoise twintails. She uses Yamaha Corporation's Vocaloid 2, Vocaloid 3, and Vocaloid 4singing synthesizing technologies. She also uses Crypton Future Media's Piapro Studio, a singing synthesizer VSTi Plugin. She was the second Vocaloid sold using the Vocaloid 2 engine and the first Japanese Vocaloid to use the Japanese version of the Vocaloid 2 engine. Her voice is modeled from Japanese voice actress Saki Fujita. Miku's personification has been marketed as a virtual idol and has performed at concerts onstage as an animated projection (rear cast projection on a specially coated glass screen)

sounds great

Guardian review

Last edited:
Anyone aware of what is happening with the Josephine Avenue art festival thing? I hear it is not happening this year due to Lambeth bumping up the fees substantially

Hi everyone,
hope you are well on this Sunday.

I need some help if possible. Does anyone have contact email to De Kat in De Hat - steel drums soloist from in front of Iceland?
I’ve been trying to find his contact with no luck so far.

I live in the flat above Iceland. My husband and I are on the brink of being suicidal in our flat due to his daily long hour playing.
It is very repetative with a very specific frequency and our mental health has deterriorated severely in the last 4 months. We now have started to hear him when he is not there. We dread coming home to realise he is back playing. It is causing us severe stress.

Our lease ends in 9 months and we would like to stay but can’t bare living with this. It is really torture. We also can’t leave right away as we don’t have money to drop our lease. When we moved into our flat he was not there at the viewings and noise levels are OK on everything except his drum. Something with the position of our flat hits us with his sound in a way that we can’t zone it out.

We have contacted Lambeth countless times. They can’t can’t do anything as it is not loud to the level of let’s say a loud bar - but we can hear him with TV on and it goes on for hours. They know our pain, but can’t do anything as it seems.

Like I have said, we are becoming really mentally hurt and starting to have adverse health reactions, from anxiety to serious depression simply because we can’t handle it anymore.

He was gone over xmas and is back now, it was a pleasure to live here without the sounds. We felt like we got our life back.

Problem with him versus preachers is that he does 6-8 hour sets and it is constant repetition of few same tones in a higher freque

Does anyone know him and can tell him to possibly change a location or not come here every day?

Or if you know his email I will write personally. I have nothing against him, but we are seriously living full-on sound torture day in and day out & I don’t think I can take it anymore, we are desperate.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom