Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

He’s obviously there when you are, hence your issues. Why not go down and speak to him?

I would imagine that anyone would react more positively to face to face interaction.

Some pics from the Bowie charity night at the Dogstar:

In photos: David Bowie 1970s Party Night at the Brixton Dogstar, Fri 10th Jan 2020

In photos: David Bowie 1970s Party Night at the Brixton Dogstar, Fri 10th Jan 2020

He’s obviously there when you are, hence your issues. Why not go down and speak to him?

I would imagine that anyone would react more positively to face to face interaction.

Due to too much noise and traffic there, it is not the optimal situation to speak to him in a way where the point can get across, thus either want to get an email or a phone number so we can speak in a proper setting. We are severely affected in our home. I hope it’s clear that we are not being frivolous.

We went to talk several times and he was always busy playing surrounded by passerbys and general chaos of Iceland. Also to note, at this time we also have a very physical reaction to the sound of his drums and can’t even stand being close to the noise.

Like I have noted, we are severely affected by this and would like to solve it without having to do it on the street itself with noise and 1000 passerbys.

Does anyone know if De Kat in De Hat has facebook or Instagram? I tried to find it last few weeks but nothing came up. Email or any contact point would really help us.
Thanks everyone and hope you have a lovely evening.

Last edited:
Due to too much noise and traffic there, it is not the optimal situation to speak to him in a way where the point can get across, thus either want to get an email or a phone number so we can speak in a proper setting. We are severely affected in our home. I hope it’s clear that we are not being frivolous.

We went to talk several times and he was always busy playing surrounded by passerbys and general chaos of Iceland. Also to note, at this time we also have a very physical reaction to the sound of his drums and can’t even stand being close to the noise.

Like I have noted, we are severely affected by this and would like to solve it without having to do it on the street itself with noise and 1000 passerbys.

Does anyone know if De Kat in De Hat has facebook or Instagram? I tried to find it last few weeks but nothing came up. Email or any contact point would really help us.
Even go and ask him for his email address, then when you email him, he’ll remember the nice person who came down to talk to him, rather than a mail out of the blue.

Honestly, the more personally that you do this, the better his response should be. A handshake and a smile will do so much more than an email which, let’s face it, could come from anyone. Someone who wants to busk his pitch in his absence, for example.

we also have a very physical reaction to the sound of his drums and can’t even stand being close to the noise.

You’re not going to get anything resolved if you are so emotional. You need a win-win.You want him to feel happy and you have some of your difficulties reduced.

I agree with the comments that some kind of face to face meeting would be the best starting point but I definitely understand how hearing him play all day long could drive someone up the wall. You could perhaps also write to Iceland as he's standing on what I think could be their property.

Even go and ask him for his email address, then when you email him, he’ll remember the nice person who came down to talk to him, rather than a mail out of the blue.

Honestly, the more personally that you do this, the better his response should be. A handshake and a smile will do so much more than an email which, let’s face it, could come from anyone. Someone who wants to busk his pitch in his absence, for example.

You’re not going to get anything resolved if you are so emotional. You need a win-win.You want him to feel happy and you have some of your difficulties reduced.
Agree with all the above but - realistically - I doubt if he'll happily move as it's a prime Brixton busking spot.

Thank you for your tips. My husband will attempt to speak to him this week.

I would still appreciate if anyone who knows his FB page or any other contact to forward it as well.

Regarding being emotional, no disrespect that is downplaying a bit our experience and situation. We have mental and physical symptoms due to excessive exposure to the repetitive sounds day in and day out - bouts of anxiety, digestive issues brought on by sound stress & we are starting to hear noises that are not there non stop.

I know it is hard for people to understand this unless they have lived it, but repetitive or loud sounds from which mind can’t escape can cause mental damage.

Thank you for responding, if anyone else knows De Kat in De Hat, please let me know so we can get some release from this :(

Agree with all the above but - realistically - I doubt if he'll happily move as it's a prime Brixton busking spot.

This is why we wanted to write him a proper letter to explain the situation with doctors notes etc instead of just a chat face to face, as I don’t think he will take us seriously.

His sounds are unfortunately really hurting us mentally and since he does it for minimum 6 hours a day, I am borderline suicidal at some moments.

This is why we wanted to write him a proper letter to explain the situation with doctors notes etc instead of just a chat face to face, as I don’t think he will take us seriously.

His sounds are unfortunately really hurting us mentally and since he does it for minimum 6 hours a day, I am borderline suicidal at some moments.
Makes sense actually. If you have doctors notes he might understand it better and don’t feel like you are just being a pain.

Hope you can find a solution for this that works both ways. Good luck!

It does sound that if he could maybe move along in front of Iceland that the noise may be less intrusive. The sound is reverberating or bouncing back somehow and you’re getting the brunt of it. That’s not an unreasonable request for him to consider. He’s going to say that it is how he makes his living so he can’t stop, but if he can do move along a bit then it might solve it.

I think I’d find it very difficult to listen to continuously.

I’d also consider contacting the estate agent regulation body as it sounds like you were let this property without being made aware of all the negatives. They may be coinciding the viewings with when they know he won’t be there. You obviously wouldn’t have moved in if you had been in full knowledge of all the facts. If a feature of the property is impacting your mental health, you should be allowed to leave without penalty at the very least, and maybe even recoup some of the rent already paid.

As someone who used to live in central Brixton and has dealt with noise issues I would be wary of face to face chat or handing over personal information like doctors notes in an email. This is highly personnal information.

The Councill noise team should be dealing with this. If they aren't doing the job contact your local Ward Cllr. Show them the doctors notes etc and ask them if they can't take the issue up.

After seeing people brazenly stealing goods from three different shops in Brixton in the last hour, I thought how it must be thoroughly dispiriting for some of the shop staff.

I certainly don't blame them not not getting involved because there's no reason why they should put themselves at risk for big businesses and bosses, but I think I'd get bloody wound up by some of the real piss takers in the independent shops, and it must add stress to what is already a shitty job.

(*I'm not referring to people who are clearly hungry/desperate/on the street here).

After seeing people brazenly stealing goods from three different shops in Brixton in the last hour, I thought how it must be thoroughly dispiriting for some of the shop staff.

I certainly don't blame them not not getting involved because there's no reason why they should put themselves at risk for big businesses and bosses, but I think I'd get bloody wound up by some of the real piss takers in the independent shops, and it must add stress to what is already a shitty job.

(*I'm not referring to people who are clearly hungry/desperate/on the street here).

Food shops or all sorts?

Food shops or all sorts?
Some bloke scanned in a load of stuff at Iceland, took his time to bag it up and then walked out without paying, and it's always a full-on free for all at Pret, who must suffer some of the highest losses of any coffee place, despite the stuff generally being very kind to those in need. It just must be horrible having desperation - and fuck you-ness - in your face all day :(

Some bloke scanned in a load of stuff at Iceland, took his time to bag it up and then walked out without paying, and it's always a full-on free for all at Pret, who must suffer some of the highest losses of any coffee place, despite the stuff generally being very kind to those in need. It just must be horrible having desperation - and fuck you-ness - in your face all day :(
Wasn’t it antisocial behaviour which led to the closure of Starbucks?
The problem has likely moved on to other outlets.
Like you say, pretty awful for someone on a retail wage. Someone in an office somewhere decides it’s ok for them to be treated like shite by miscreants because the sums add up. Then when the sums stop adding up, they close the branch and the staff lose their jobs.

For some reason I didn't even think about Pret - in hindsight it makes perfect sense given the size of the shop, till placement and location. I go to Pret near work and it's just full of office workers and not say an ordinary range of people like a supermarket.

Hopefully the local management team have trained the staff specially.

Back
Top Bottom