Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Bloody hell:

"Two men were rushed to hospital in Brixton, South London after reportedly being attacked by a man armed with a sub-machine gun.

Cops, paramedics and other first responders were called to Angell Town estate just before 7pm on Friday.

Seventeen shots were reportedly fired at the two men, who turned up to hospital with gun shot wounds"

Bloody hell:

"Two men were rushed to hospital in Brixton, South London after reportedly being attacked by a man armed with a sub-machine gun.

Cops, paramedics and other first responders were called to Angell Town estate just before 7pm on Friday.

Seventeen shots were reportedly fired at the two men, who turned up to hospital with gun shot wounds"

1. The cordoned off area this morning appears to have been at Akerman Rd/Loughborough Rd at Fiveways, suggesting the "drive-by shooting" was not in the estate itself.

2. According to another news source, the victims "self-presented" at hospital with gunshot wounds! :eek:

Yes I was aware that was happening, glad it's got a good turnout .... What I'm mostly thinking though is that this fucking helicopter is doing my head in and they should invest in some drones!

ETA: 7:30pm and I think we are on 9hrs of almost constant helicopter over Brixton hill. It's actually making me feel really irritable now. Occasionally I miss Brixton but not this ... How do you cope?

Last edited:
I don't think it should have happened this year. It just means more Covid infections, a lot of Police time used, all for a street party. No use pretending it has any effect on politics or reparations.
Yes, we should all sit down and be quiet about the injustices in society for as long as Covid may last, which could be years. Our government would love that.

And outside gatherings are not considered to be contributing much to the spread.

Furthermore, there were at least 3 big parties going on around my road last night, none of them connected to BLM. Was there even a BLM street party or do you mean the demo?

Yes, we should all sit down and be quiet about the injustices in society for as long as Covid may last, which could be years. Our government would love that.

And outside gatherings are not considered to be contributing much to the spread.

Furthermore, there were at least 3 big parties going on around my road last night, none of them connected to BLM. Was there even a BLM street party or do you mean the demo?
There's at least three street parties every week outside my block.

I don't think it should have happened this year. It just means more Covid infections, a lot of Police time used, all for a street party. No use pretending it has any effect on politics or reparations.

You mixing together different issues.

Even without Covid this would take up police time.

You appear to be dismissing this demo as just a street party.

Whether this yearly event has any effect is your opinion. Others might think otherwise. People have right to protest.

On Covid. I have not being going on demos recently as its way to spread Covid or catch it . Any large gatherings- unofficial street parties, demos will be a risk factor for spreading Covid. There is no way of getting around that.

So agree on that.

I do however agree with nagapie that ths government will love that demos won't happen. So will Council. So will police.

I saw a lot of police around Brixton on Saturday due to the demo. A lot of them tooled up for trouble on the street. Not just sitting in vans. They were making there presence known. Pretty clear that Police see rise in BLM type protests as threat to what they would call "order".

Yes I was aware that was happening, glad it's got a good turnout .... What I'm mostly thinking though is that this fucking helicopter is doing my head in and they should invest in some drones!

ETA: 7:30pm and I think we are on 9hrs of almost constant helicopter over Brixton hill. It's actually making me feel really irritable now. Occasionally I miss Brixton but not this ... How do you cope?

The helicopters increasingly are a pain. They circle for hours and can be really noisy at night. They must disrupt hundreds or thousands of people's sleep at a time. I wonder if their benefits really justify their use, especially with drones now being an option. They must also be incredibly expensive to operate.

The reparations demo/march/party is an annual event which has been happening for 7 years. BLM was tacked onto it this year because of recent events. Lots of progress is being made on reparations:

But the Brixton jamboree isn't part of the process. It does give people a chance to be heard and to feel in control, especially when the A23 is blocked and the police can't do anything except look pissed-off. But this year I'm not sure it was worth it - there will be more infections and more deaths in the black community.

The reparations demo/march/party is an annual event which has been happening for 7 years. BLM was tacked onto it this year because of recent events. Lots of progress is being made on reparations:

But the Brixton jamboree isn't part of the process. It does give people a chance to be heard and to feel in control, especially when the A23 is blocked and the police can't do anything except look pissed-off. But this year I'm not sure it was worth it - there will be more infections and more deaths in the black community.

What progress?

You have posted up link to a history website. The other is behind Telegraph paywall.

Still dont get why you dismiss this yearly demo as "Jamboree"

What progress?

You have posted up link to a history website. The other is behind Telegraph paywall.

Still dont get why you dismiss this yearly demo as "Jamboree"
I think the FT article linked to by David Clapson is replicated here:
Lex in depth: Examining the slave trade — ‘Britain has a debt to repay’ - NEWSCABAL

If so although it lights on some of the issues regarding compensation, it ultimately remains a political issue what multipliers would be used, who would be compensated etc.
The article has a nice replication of Turner's The Slave Ship, apparently inspired in 1840 by the 1781 incident in Jamaica when the crew of the "Zong" threw their cargo of slaves overboard in order to collect the insurance money.
Not sure what JMW Turner's politics were - but sounds OK compared with the likes of Gainsborough and Sir Joshua Reynolds who seemed to spend most of their time painting land owners who almost by definition were slave owners.
800px-Slave-ship.jpg
By J. M. W. Turner - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Public Domain

If so although it lights on some of the issues regarding compensation, it ultimately remains a political issue what multipliers would be used, who would be compensated etc.

A British-Nigerian friend of mine reckons that all the people who go on the reparations march every year are waiting for a cheque.

I wonder if any of the marchers and protesters have heard about the £20m from Glasgow University last year? Or the recent commitments from Greene King and Lloyd's of London, or the UCL database? Maybe they trust the march organisers to bring them up to date? But maybe the organisers still don't know about all the progress? It's been a huge story in the UK and US....multi-million payments are definitely on the way from a long list of huge companies, boards of directors are checking their company histories and doing the sums....but the people asking for the money have no response. You would think that one or two of them would read a newspaper and word would get around...but apparently not.

A British-Nigerian friend of mine reckons that all the people who go on the reparations march every year are waiting for a cheque.

I wonder if any of the marchers and protesters have heard about the £20m from Glasgow University last year? Or the recent commitments from Greene King and Lloyd's of London, or the UCL database? Maybe they trust the march organisers to bring them up to date? But maybe the organisers still don't know about all the progress? It's been a huge story in the UK and US....multi-million payments are definitely on the way from a long list of huge companies, boards of directors are checking their company histories and doing the sums....but the people asking for the money have no response. You would think that one or two of them would read a newspaper and word would get around...but apparently not.
Your British Nigerian friend may be somewhat distant from the issues.
Try this article on Al Jazeera, which relates to British Caribbean Commonwealth countries who have been agitating on the matter of reparations since independence. They claim some compensatory measures were put in hand post Indian independence but nothing - ever - for the ex-slave states of the Caribbean.

Former drug dealer Leroy Smith - who was on the run, having escaped from prison custody escaped in April 1993 while being transferred from Leicester to Brixton prison after his arrest on gun charges - shot PC James Seymour in the back and his colleague, PC Simon Carroll, in the leg when they approached him outside a pub in Brixton in March 1994.

He later told his girlfriend: "The buzzards deserved it," and added, "I should've got them good and proper."

She also said that Smith was besotted with his 9mm firearm with an infra-red ray to guide the bullets. He had boasted that police would never catch him, because if anyone got in his way he would shoot them.

After shooting the police officers, Smith escaped on a motorbike and fled to America - where he was arrested in connection with another shooting in July 1994.

Smith was imprisoned for two years for that escape, 18 years for a firearms offence, and five years for robbery. He was given a 25-year sentence for attempting to murder PC Seymour and 18 years for wounding PC Carroll.

He made a mock gun with his hands and pretended to fire at the two police officers whom he had previously shot as he was led to his cell after being sentenced on 9 February 1995.

Now:

Metropolitan Police officer James Seymour forgives gangster Leroy Smith who shot him in Brixton in March 1994

Leroy Smith: 'Guns, robberies. That was my life' (December 2016 interview)

out-of-the-box-e1477588477381.jpg

Back
Top Bottom