Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

The actual comment was "Fully gentrified prices" back in post 1038

Another poster commented as this had been the Brixton Pound shop coldwaterswim
Losing the Brixton Pound cafe was another small step in the further gentrification of Brixton.

It’s nit lost. It’s last short term lease expired. They had a temporary one pre-Covid and were negotiating a longer term lease pre-lockdown.

I think what is indicative of this forum is that instead of saying “thanks for the added info on this business” after my first fair post about the business, the gentrification talk got doubled down, only to later say it’s not the fault of the business. If you don’t see this dismissal of fair commentary to add context to a wrong info I think it’s fair to say we have nothing else to talk about. I am disappointed by this forum which gave me a lot of joy up until now, but you showed where your “community care” actually ends.

Your post 1349 which started this off was a bit more than a fair post on the business, as you put it ,to add context.

If anyone wants to do something about gentrification then comments need to be sent to the Council planning dept by end of the month. That is on the revised application.

An issue with directing ones energies to the real targets- millionaire property developers like the owner of Hondo is that they can employ scores of people to write reports for them to back up their plans.

Its an uneven battle.

As you understand it.
I was being polite! (Because you were completely wrong)

Here is the Collins definition

Definition of 'Rachmanism'
English: Rachmanism
Rachmanismin British English
(ˈrækməˌnɪzəm )

NOUN

extortion or exploitation by a landlord of tenants of dilapidated or slum property, esp when involving intimidation or use of racial fears to drive out sitting tenants whose rent is fixed at a low rate

I was being polite! (Because you were completely wrong)

Here is the Collins definition

Definition of 'Rachmanism'
English: Rachmanism
Rachmanismin British English
(ˈrækməˌnɪzəm )

NOUN

extortion or exploitation by a landlord of tenants of dilapidated or slum property, esp when involving intimidation or use of racial fears to drive out sitting tenants whose rent is fixed at a low rate
Why are you so sensitive about this? You are well aware that definitions are a movable feast.
eg For some Big Bertha is a super-sized German cannon manufactured by Krupp and used by the Kaiser's army in the First World War.
For others it is the name of an annoying Troll inhabiting Urban.

Why are you so sensitive about this? You are well aware that definitions are a movable feast.
eg For some Big Bertha is a super-sized German cannon manufactured by Krupp and used by the Kaiser's army in the First World War.
For others it is the name of an annoying Troll inhabiting Urban.
I’m not bothered by this at all.

i was correcting you as you implied illegality was involved in the ending of the coffee shops lease and the granting of a new one.

End of!

Why did Brixton Pound move from Atlantic Rd in the first instance ?
I heard that the lease ran out and the rent accordingly sky-rocketed out of reach. I'm pretty sure they didn't want to move Instead of propping up loss making disasters like Pop Brixton and giving the rent free land, Lambeth should be supporting true community initiatives like the Brixton Pound.

Why did Brixton Pound move from Atlantic Rd in the first instance ?
If you read back on the thread apparently they had a temporary lease for several years which expired.
And they couldn't afford a new commercial lease on their business model, which was essentially a local community charity. Turnover seems to have been around £80,000 pa. Not sure how rent fits in with that.
They say on their website that they funded other local charities - such as Advocacy Academy, Age UK
see here: The Brixton Pound - Money that sticks to Brixton - B£
They have a long record at Companies House: BRIXTON POUND CIC - Filing history (free information from Companies House)
incorporated as a Community Interest Company on 16th May 2011.
The first councillor (or possibly ex councillor) on the board was Steve Bradley - hotly followed by Lib Peck.
Also on the board at one time was Zac Monro - a local architect.

Brixton Pound was originally started to promote the Brixton Pound local currency.
Not sure what has happened about that.
The shop seems to have been an add-on - and one that did have a following amongst the alternative crowd (including me).

From Companies House it seems the registered office has been moved from 77 Atlantic Road to International House - which is the home of several organisation who have lost their premises - Photofusion to name but one.

Can;'t see them offering whole meal loaves for sale at pay what you can prices at the reception in International House unfortunately.

Assumedly the Brixton Pound vending machine in the Markets has long gone (assuming I didn't imagine it)
I don't remember seeing it around for ages either. I liked the idea of the Brixton Pound and local currencies, but by the time it came about Brixton had completely changed with loads of brand new businesses flooding in and a new demographic that was more interested in sampling the latest foodie treats and craft ales than investing in long serving local businesses (many of which were in the process of being priced out).

The one in Totnes was killed off last year too First ever local currency killed off by contactless payment

Anyone know if the ticket office at Brixton overground station is open at the present time ?
( checked online with no luck)

Earlier today, having previously pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, failing to stop and dangerous driving on 24 March 2020, Quincy Anyiam, 27, was sentenced to seven years' imprisonment at the Old Bailey. Anyiam, who refused to appear for his sentencing citing “psychological reasons”, was also banned from driving for a total of 11 years by Judge Wendy Joseph QC.

Police officers in an unmarked van had spotted Anyiam speeding at 56mph in a 30mph zone at and pursued him, activating their blue lights.

But he refused to stop and instead swerved between two lanes of traffic, overtaking and undertaking, speeding and at times also driving on the wrong side of the road, before hitting Anisha Vidal-Garner at 62mph on Brixton Hill, throwing her into the air 'like a ragdoll' and causing horrific injuries.

Anyiam, who had passengers with him, then fled the scene and dumped the damaged car in Arlingford Road where it was subsequently found by police officers.

Sentencing, Judge Wendy Joseph QC said: 'Over the course of four tenths of a mile before the accident, this defendant drove at excessive - at times grossly excessive - speeds through areas where there were likely to be many pedestrians and other road users.

'I cannot accept this description to police as an 'error of judgement'.

'Nor his description in a letter to me as an 'unfortunate incident'.

'In my view it amounts to a deliberate decision to ignore (or a flagrant disregard for) the rules of the road and an apparent disregard for the great dangers being caused to others.

The judge added that aggravating factors included Anyiam’s determination to evade police, his failure to stop after the crash, his continued dangerous driving after the crash, and his criminal record of 10 convictions for 22 offences.

In 2016, Anyiam was disqualified from driving for 14 months after being caught driving with cannabis in his system.

PRC_159441628.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

Convicted killer Quincy Anyiam (left) and the person he killed, the Late Anisha Vidal-Garner.

Last edited:
Earlier today, having previously pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, failing to stop and dangerous driving on 24 March 2020, Quincy Anyiam, 27, was sentenced to seven years' imprisonment at the Old Bailey. Anyiam, who refused to appear for his sentencing citing “psychological reasons”, was also banned from driving for a total of 11 years by Judge Wendy Joseph QC.

Police officers in an unmarked van had spotted Anyiam speeding at 56mph in a 30mph zone at and pursued him, activating their blue lights.

But he refused to stop and instead swerved between two lanes of traffic, overtaking and undertaking, speeding and at times also driving on the wrong side of the road, before hitting Anisha Vidal-Garner at 62mph on Brixton Hill, throwing her into the air 'like a ragdoll' and causing horrific injuries.

Anyiam, who had passengers with him, then fled the scene and dumped the damaged car in Arlingford Road where it was subsequently found by police officers.

Sentencing, Judge Wendy Joseph QC said: 'Over the course of four tenths of a mile before the accident, this defendant drove at excessive - at times grossly excessive - speeds through areas where there were likely to be many pedestrians and other road users.

'I cannot accept this description to police as an 'error of judgement'.

'Nor his description in a letter to me as an 'unfortunate incident'.

'In my view it amounts to a deliberate decision to ignore (or a flagrant disregard for) the rules of the road and an apparent disregard for the great dangers being caused to others.

The judge added that aggravating factors included Anyiam’s determination to evade police, his failure to stop after the crash, his continued dangerous driving after the crash, and his criminal record of 10 convictions for 22 offences.

In 2016, Anyiam was disqualified from driving for 14 months after being caught driving with cannabis in his system.

PRC_159441628.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

Convicted killer Quincy Anyiam (left) and the peson he killed, the Late Anisha Vidal-Garner.
Seven fucking years. Is that all?

I think what is indicative of this forum is that instead of saying “thanks for the added info on this business” after my first fair post about the business, the gentrification talk got doubled down, only to later say it’s not the fault of the business. If you don’t see this dismissal of fair commentary to add context to a wrong info I think it’s fair to say we have nothing else to talk about. I am disappointed by this forum which gave me a lot of joy up until now, but you showed where your “community care” actually ends.
I read your posts with interest but conclude you are an arse.

The sentencing guidelines applicable to the primary offence to which Quincy Anyiam pleaded guilty may be found here for information:

The Sentencing Council for England and Wales: Causing death by dangerous driving
My father in law was killed by a guy doing 70 in a 40 who then fled the scene. Put us all through 3 years of hell and a court case. He got found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving and x3 causing serious injury by dangerous driving (as he almost killed his passengers). Multiple previous convictions including drink driving but only got 6 years. He will be out in 3, but my kids lost their grandad. If you kill with your hands you get life, with a vehicle, not nearly enough.

Back
Top Bottom