Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

If there's a chance to lobby the council/police about the bollards, which there probably isn't, some of them could be swapped for plinths or planters or seating or bins or bike racks. If it conforms to the PAS68 standard, it'll do the job. Here are a couple of examples

PAS 68 concrete blocks | Townscape Products

If there's a chance to lobby the council/police about the bollards, which there probably isn't, some of them could be swapped for plinths or planters or seating or bins or bike racks. If it conforms to the PAS68 standard, it'll do the job. Here are a couple of examples

PAS 68 concrete blocks | Townscape Products

anthony Gormley bollards, a la Peckham?

1595321136804.jpeg

anthony Gormley bollards, a la Peckham?

View attachment 223077
Unfortunately the choices of bollards from safetyflex, the company who will be supplying the "Truckstopper" bollards (and are also the manufacturer of the concrete blocks) is rather more limited. (Although they are a darn sight less intrusive than some of the other street furniture introduced elsewhere as part of performative security measures.)

I didn't realise there was a whole industry grown up around the "War on Terror".

To the point where this firm can be seriously said to be "leading the fight against terrorism" without being questioned.

One thing I have learned from Windrush square is how the endless war on terror can be normalised and just accepted as that is just is how things are.

Another thing is that the urban environment is not always what it might seem on the surface. I never really thought how the authorities might want to disguise the real meaning of objects placed in an urban setting.

Unfortunately the choices of bollards from safetyflex, the company who will be supplying the "Truckstopper" bollards (and are also the manufacturer of the concrete blocks) is rather more limited. (Although they are a darn sight less intrusive than some of the other street furniture introduced elsewhere as part of performative security measures.)
Are you saying that we've got to pay twice?
First for the crappy temporary blocks already there (supplier upthread)
second for alternatives from Safetyflex (which appears to be a US owned outfit)

If we need to go the whole fascist hog - might I suggest this more economic alternative
Concrete Jersey Barrier

I mean you can't beat Rs120/piece. [1 Pound sterling equals 95.29 Indian Rupee]
Mr Modi comes up Trumps - so to speak.

Are you saying that we've got to pay twice?
First for the crappy temporary blocks already there (supplier upthread)
second for alternatives from Safetyflex (which appears to be a US owned outfit)

The Lambeth "officer delegated decision" report Public Realm Protection Proposals talks about an installation period until October, and about a temporary (Phase 1) solution. I am therefore hoping that the price quoted includes both the blocks as an interim measure AND the permanent bollards.

If it doesn't it would indeed be price gouging.

Reactions: CH1
VOTE FOR HILLSIDE GARDENS
palace-road-nature-reserve-01.jpg

Tiny non-league contender Palace Road Nature Garden (in the liminal space between Tulse Hill and Streatham Hill)
is in a David and Goliath contest against Premiership leaders Richmond Park in the latest round of
World Cup of South London Parks on Twitter (yes it really is a thing!)

If you have a Twitter account please vote for Palace Road before 7pm today
(or why not set up a Twitter account now, just to be able to stick it Richmond!)
Even if you might be planning to vote for Brockwell Park in the later rounds,
our small but perfectly formed SW2 local open space needs all the publicity that a shock win over Richmond today could bring

Attachments

• palace-road-nature-reserve-01.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 3
Does anyone know if Blue Dental are taking patients again? 🥺
Their website still says emergency only. A couple of my teeth are in a terrible state but nowhere near emergency status.

Their website still says emergency only. A couple of my teeth are in a terrible state but nowhere near emergency status.
Thanks. Mine is just about at emergency level. I hate teeth!

VOTE FOR HILLSIDE GARDENS

Tiny non-league contender Palace Road Nature Garden (in the liminal space between Tulse Hill and Streatham Hill)
is in a David and Goliath contest against Premiership leaders Richmond Park in the latest round of
World Cup of South London Parks on Twitter (yes it really is a thing!)

If you have a Twitter account please vote for Palace Road before 7pm today
(or why not set up a Twitter account now, just to be able to stick it Richmond!)
Even if you might be planning to vote for Brockwell Park in the later rounds,
our small but perfectly formed SW2 local open space needs all the publicity that a shock win over Richmond today could bring

Missed the vote but got behind Streatham Common in today's poll.

Fully gentrified prices too.

This salon is actually owned by a very nice locally based couple. The salon was first in the stalls in Brixton Mall for a while, they just recently moved into the larger space. This is a local business.

Does gentrification still apply if it's a local couple ?
By some opinions I noticed, nothing should ever change, everything should stay the same in Brixton. The ship has sailed tho. Life goes on, areas change and in those changes not all business owners are “bad guys” or people packed with money or a big corp. Owners of this particular salon are two modest individuals who are making ends meet & working very hard. Their shop deserves a chance without the banter around gentrification or scuffing, when nobody actually walked into the place or know the shop been here for a while already in Brixton Mall. The commentary on page 35 just rubbed me the wrong way because it feels that this forum is just about talking rubbish about anything new that opens or anything that “changes” some nostalgic idea of the area. It’s not healthy.

By some opinions I noticed, nothing should ever change, everything should stay the same in Brixton. The ship has sailed tho. Life goes on, areas change and in those changes not all business owners are “bad guys” or people packed with money or a big corp. Owners of this particular salon are two modest individuals who are making ends meet & working very hard. Their shop deserves a chance without the banter around gentrification or scuffing, when nobody actually walked into the place or know the shop been here for a while already in Brixton Mall. The commentary on page 35 just rubbed me the wrong way because it feels that this forum is just about talking rubbish about anything new that opens or anything that “changes” some nostalgic idea of the area. It’s not healthy.
There’s a substantial vocal minority that hates change

Back
Top Bottom