Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

If they were putting up railings that decreased permeability for pedestrians, I'd agree that would be a fundamental change.

Bollards though - not such a big deal really, although there can certainly be better and worse designs. If they are done well, they will not really register - unlike the big concrete blocks, which a couple of pages ago you were complaining looked like fortifications.

I think you should go back and read my previous posts on the matter.

You are willfully trying to make out Im being unreasonable.

If they were putting up railings that decreased permeability for pedestrians, I'd agree that would be a fundamental change.

Bollards though - not such a big deal really, although there can certainly be better and worse designs. If they are done well, they will not really register - unlike the big concrete blocks, which a couple of pages ago you were complaining looked like fortifications.

Posts of mine 1207 and 1208 here on this thread.

Dressing them up as something else doesnt make them any less fortifications.

So you are saying people arent able to see through the camoflage and won't realise their significance if the experts design them right. I beg to differ.

I think ordinary people can see through this.

Anti-terror bollards come in a variety of designs. Here are some on Oxford Street.

Safety291OxfordStreet.jpg

Not really an eyesore. With the whole square protected, people can plan anti-slavery/BLM/cultural/Remembrance Day/religious events without fear of vehicle attacks by the far right. I think it's an asset for us all.

Anti-terror bollards come in a variety of designs. Here are some on Oxford Street.

Safety291OxfordStreet.jpg

Not really an eyesore. With the whole square protected, people can plan anti-slavery/BLM/cultural/Remembrance Day/religious events without fear of vehicle attacks by the far right. I think it's an asset for us all.

They are great until you walk into one and smash your bollocks in....

Let’s get rid of the gyratory system that is still used around Windrush Square. There’s definitely an attitude from drivers to speed away from the lights at KFC, to own the lane they want to be in. Cyclists don’t stand a chance.
If you don't like cycling up the slope across empty space with cars both sides, and I sure don't, St Matthews Road/Josephine Avenue is your friend. Or at least, has been. The way Water Lane is being used at the moment makes it a bit less pleasant.

Parliament square doesn't have concrete blocks/ bollards or other anti VAW devices surrounding it.

Neither does Trafalgar square.

Oxford street is also place with lots of pedestrians with no anti VAW bollards separating pedestrians from the road.

So your argument is wrong.

yup, none if that stuff in this picture
1595059466231.jpeg

or this one

1595059599495.jpeg

Or here

1595059725711.jpeg

and here is an article about a company installing anti truck bollards on Oxford street

perhaps gramsci’s point is that he can’t see any of this stuff - However this disproves his argument that this stuff defaces the locations it is installed in

Last edited:
Monstrous as they are those look like things there might be loads of uses for, as canvases but also seats, soapboxes/ stages, picnic spots very short term market stalls plinths for statues human or other. They have more potential than the horrible steel bollards all over the place the ones with the slanted tops designed to prevent anything or anyone from resting on them.

Just been into Brixton for the first evening first since lockdown. It was busy but felt OK outside. Not sure how it would feel after 10.00.

View attachment 222722

or this one

View attachment 222724

Or here

View attachment 222727

and here is an article about a company installing anti truck bollards on Oxford street

perhaps gramsci’s point is that he can’t see any of this stuff - However this disproves his argument that this stuff defaces the locations it is installed in
Yup nothing in Parliament square. Im up in West End every day.

Here are photos I took today of Parliament square. No bollards.

I took some photos today of Trafalgar square . Might deal with that tomorrow when i have time.

As well as your other points.

IMG_20200718_182606.jpgIMG_20200718_182637.jpg

View attachment 222722

or this one

View attachment 222724

Or here

View attachment 222727

The Alamy stock photo is of the barrier leading to the Mall. The photo is looking towards the Mall that leads to Buckingham palace. Admiralty Arch is behind the yellow barrier. This has nothing to do with "protecting" Trafalgar square.

Now when the Changing of the Guard happens the barrier comes down to stop vehicles entering the Mall. Its not about Trafalgar square. The yellow arches are there there to let tourist into the Mall to see the Palace. Its not about stopping people / cars getting to Trafalgar square. Its about stopping traffic going down the Mall during Changing of the Guard. Its lifted when the Changing of the Guard is finished. So its a temporary barrier.

Last edited:

If you had been following my posts on this issue you would have seen Ive read up a bit.

See my posts 1207 and 1208.

There is an argument that designing these "anti terror" measures to appear to blend in is part of the problem.

I dont feel like reposting so go and read those posts.

View attachment 222722

or this one

View attachment 222724

Or here

View attachment 222727

As I said Im up in West End every day. Trafalgar square is normally busy. I hang out there in weekday mornings on north side outside National Gallery. Pandemic means its a shadow of its former self.

On North side by National Gallery where I sit in mornings I used to see the tourists queue for National Gallery and the street performers/ artists/ musicians turn up. In normal times that north side was packed. Also impromptu small demos on a variety of issues. I miss it.

I had another look today and the bollard are in the centre of the square. North side is unprotected. So are sections of the South side.

See photos of Ice cream van and the volunteers who feed homeless cars get around the concrete blocks on North side.

BTW I have no problem with the group feeding the homeless or the ice cream van. Im just showing how ludicrous "anti terrorism" is.

On south side whole swathes of the square are "unprotected" .

Its not that I didnt notice the bollards. Its that Trafalgar square has several openings enough for vehicles to get through that I didnt see the bollards as "anti VAW".

See below some of my photos from today.

IMG_20200718_183945.jpgIMG_20200718_184005.jpgIMG_20200718_183718.jpgIMG_20200718_183443.jpg

Last edited:
Im not having a go at anyone here.

One of my points is that using urban design to design out terrorism is never going to work.

There are significant numbers of drivers who are ignoring the low traffic zone in Railton/Poets. Presumably that will change once the fines kick in?

There are significant numbers of drivers who are ignoring the low traffic zone in Railton/Poets. Presumably that will change once the fines kick in?

I was coming home late on Friday night about 9pm. On corner of Shakespeare road and CHL ( basically LJ) lot of police stopping cars coming down from Railton.

Presume it was about going through the LTN when they were not supposed to.

Bollards and concrete blocks look shite. Why the fucking argument. It's a lazy solution, the council are being shit as usual, and people who live here are the ones stuck with a crappy fix to a shitty non-concern (where's the risk assessment?)

Stop fucking moaning and sort it or just fucking live with it. Who cares that much. People on here a wilfully fucking arsey for the sake of making someone who clearly cares about this stuff look stupid for paying attention to the detail and showing concern beyond his own doormat.

Time people fucked off this thread if all they wanna do is support bad council decisions to get at a couple of blokes they think are a bit too lefty for their own good.

Everyone on here can be a prick at times, but the pricks that care are better than the pricks that just pick pick pick.....

It seems like every time I pass a gate someone drives through.

Bollards and concrete blocks look shite. Why the fucking argument. It's a lazy solution, the council are being shit as usual, and people who live here are the ones stuck with a crappy fix to a shitty non-concern (where's the risk assessment?)

Stop fucking moaning and sort it or just fucking live with it. Who cares that much. People on here a wilfully fucking arsey for the sake of making someone who clearly cares about this stuff look stupid for paying attention to the detail and showing concern beyond his own doormat.

Time people fucked off this thread if all they wanna do is support bad council decisions to get at a couple of blokes they think are a bit too lefty for their own good.

Everyone on here can be a prick at times, but the pricks that care are better than the pricks that just pick pick pick.....
Don't know exactly what you mean there, but I posted the Brixton Buzz story on Facebook and got this interesting reaction from Egypt
Hazem Hussein
I hate those cement blocks, years after the 2011 revolution in Cairo, downtown Tahrir square, the US embassy in garden city and the Italian embassy are still barricaded with horrible looking similar grey monstrosities
🙄

Saw the blocks for the first time today. They’re truly hideous and oversized enough to handle a Challenger II main battle tank. They could at the very least have tried to align them a bit with the pavement and surrounding landmarks. As they are they looked like they’d been just dropped from a great height and let to rest where they landed.

Don't know exactly what you mean there, but I posted the Brixton Buzz story on Facebook and got this interesting reaction from Egypt
Hazem Hussein
I hate those cement blocks, years after the 2011 revolution in Cairo, downtown Tahrir square, the US embassy in garden city and the Italian embassy are still barricaded with horrible looking similar grey monstrosities
🙄

At least Egypt get it.

Bit of a harsh way to describe the pyramids though.....

Back
Top Bottom