Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Copters been overhead for 30mins or so and loads of police vans sitting about. Do they know something we don't?

Copters been overhead for 30mins or so and loads of police vans sitting about. Do they know something we don't?
It was for some of the BLM marchers coming into Brixton from the centre of London, and to a lesser extent for this:

Nice photo feature

87.jpg

89.jpg

Railton Rd is to be temporarily closed to cars from Coldharbour Lane to Herne Hill as part of the Covid 19 measures. Ditto Shakespeare Rd from the junction with Mayall Rd down to Loughborough Junction. The letter we got didn’t say when we will become a “low-traffic neighbourhood”.

They’re also widening the pavement along Railton Rd. The 322 will still be allowed as well as emergency vehicles.

It will be interesting to see how it works. Apparently speeds have increased by 300% since last year which doesn’t surprise me. It’s pretty good news for me personally as I live in the Poets area but presumably Dulwich Rd will become a lot busier.

Btw there’s a socially distanced walk around the area to see what the changes will look like at noon if anyone’s interested.

Railton Rd is to be temporarily closed to cars from Coldharbour Lane to Herne Hill as part of the Covid 19 measures. Ditto Shakespeare Rd from the junction with Mayall Rd down to Loughborough Junction. The letter we got didn’t say when we will become a “low-traffic neighbourhood”.

They’re also widening the pavement along Railton Rd. The 322 will still be allowed as well as emergency vehicles.

It will be interesting to see how it works. Apparently speeds have increased by 300% since last year which doesn’t surprise me. It’s pretty good news for me personally as I live in the Poets area but presumably Dulwich Rd will become a lot busier.
Have you got any links to detailed plans? No one in our street has received a letter and the only access to our road is from an apparently closed section of Railton Road.

Lets hope Lambeth make steps do this in more streets and on a permeant basis. For too long progress has been slow at tackling pollution and excessive traffic, with various groups blaming each other and getting stuck in political/budget arguments/excuses with the view that cars are king. I hope a small positive from the pandemic can be the reshaping of cities and a giant step forward is taken to achieving less polluted and safer streets for all.

Have you got any links to detailed plans? No one in our street has received a letter and the only access to our road is from an apparently closed section of Railton Road.

The only plan I’ve seen is in this article

There's a Zoom meeting at 8pm tonight for all Poet's Corner residents.

PM me for details if you haven't already got them.

The only plan I’ve seen is in this article

These closures will only push traffic onto surrounding roads and make them busier. Remember the disaster when the council closed Loughborough Rd and had to back track and reopen it ? Brixton Water Lane, Milkwood Rd, Coldharbour Lane, and Effra Rd will all become congested with queuing cars only increasing pollution in the area. Further traffic calming on Railton Rd with a system of one way streets within the Poets Corner area is the answer.

Shame on the council for using the human tragedy that is the pandemic to push this scheme on the area when its been under discussion since at least 2008. If they were really concerned about runners and cyclist then they’d have widened the pavements on Brixton Water Lane where the vast majority run and cycle years ago.

At the moment there is no way to contact the council about this other than Facebook and Twitter. No phone or email option. very, very poor!

It’s a Department if Transport initiative not a Lambeth one - the link to the specific Act is on the previous page.

Thanks but the leaflet I received has a Lambeth Council logo at the top and is signed off by Cllr Claire Holland, Deputy Leader (Sustainable Transport, Environment and Clean Air. London Borough of Lambeth.

Yes, but that doesn’t stop this being a temporary* covid related top down initiative.

*who knows what will be adopted or amended after covid.

An 18 month "temporary" initiative. It won't be going once the signs, barriers and ANPR is in place. That's why action needs to be taken sooner rather than later.

Fair point - I’m still trying to work out how the street in front of me doesn’t just become a snarled up mess of cars u-turning on a blind bend as drivers realise their normal routes aren’t there anymore.

Claire Holland is normally responsive on twitter.

Fair point - I’m still trying to work out how the street in front of me doesn’t just become a snarled up mess of cars u-turning on a blind bend as drivers realise their normal routes aren’t there anymore.

Thanks for that Snowy, I'll tweet her. Numerous emails have been sent to Lambeth but as of yet, no reply.

Can I point out that not everybody is on Twitter (especially older members of the community) while most people can use and have access to email. Why therefore is Cllr Holland not offering email as a method of getting in touch ?

Can I point out that not everybody is on Twitter (especially older members of the community) while most people can use and have access to email. Why therefore is Cllr Holland not offering email as a method of getting in touch ?
I do agree. I'm more of an email person myself, especially when contacting the council - but they do not reply to emails.

I live on Effra Parade - do you mind if I ask what the 'feeling' of the Zoom meeting was ?
All who live on north Shakespeare a combination of anger, sadness, resignation and feeling up against it re: Lambeth. As for Poet's Corner residents, offered their sympathies but they will see the benefits unlike north Shakespeare - and Poet's will no longer have to endure the skip lorries!

Back
Top Bottom