Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

What the fuck is that rumbling/squeaking noise that went on for most of last night and is at it again now? It's coming from around Loughborough Park/Junction area - maybe the railway?
Really annoying.

Brockwell Park was the busiest I've seen it outside of a festival, and Ruskin Park was the most packed I've ever known it. In Brockwell, youths were doing nitrous balloons together, there were big groups of drinkers all sitting alarmingly close to each other but at least there wasn't a full football game going on.

Given the useless 'leadership' of this government, I don't blame people for going out, but that Covid curve has got to be going back up again if this carries on :(

View attachment 194664

Been looking up figures for deprived areas. This shows Brixton / Loughborough Junction area as in the top 20% of deprived areas in England.

The darker the blue the more deprived.

LSOA are where the data focuses on a few streets in one council ward. Each ward is divided into several LSOA.

I have another map for that I will put up tomorrow.

This maps shows the benefits of gentrification haven't trickled down.

Compares to my home town Plymouth. The working class half of it is still in the top 20% most deprived. Some bits are now worse than Brixton. In the top 10%.

From here. Covers all local authorities

English Indices of Deprivation 2019 - Maps – Google Drive

41% per cent of my hometown now in the top 10% of poverty. Nobody at all in the 3 richest percentile bands.

Clapham Common was packed as well. Mainly groups of two to six people, but also several much larger groups who were all hugging and kissing when they met.

Brockwell Park is packed as the lockdown weakens

Brockwell Park is packed as the lockdown weakens

Brockwell was heaving

I cycled through Peckham Rye common yesterday and it seemed much more busy than those photos, although I appreciate photos often look less busy.

Coming from Barry Road and crossing the common towards Nunhead, I think I counted three deliveroo riders. People ordering food to the common

What the fuck is that rumbling/squeaking noise that went on for most of last night and is at it again now? It's coming from around Loughborough Park/Junction area - maybe the railway?
Really annoying.

It was most likely one of these Tamping machines. They sound like a Motorhead single on 16rpm.
Ballast_Tamper.JPG.jpg

It does seem to be (as far as we know, which is very little with this horrific virus) that outdoor transmission is very unlikely. So as long as you are not crammed together ‘ Cheltenham style’ hopefully the risk is low

Really annoying.
BCBlues It may indeed be a tamper. I get these billet-doux from Network Rail several times a year sometimes.
Maybe they are running late on this one, or maybe they sent another which I didn't file in the right place (ie Channel Tunnel Work 1986). I didn't notice the disturbance - but then I sleep 20-30 feet below the track. The noise and vibration just goes over my head after 34 years living under a viaduct.
Railway neighbour.jpg

BCBlues It may indeed be a tamper. I get these billet-doux from Network Rail several times a year sometimes.
Maybe they are running late on this one, or maybe they sent another which I didn't file in the right place (ie Channel Tunnel Work 1986). I didn't notice the disturbance - but then I sleep 20-30 feet below the track. The noise and vibration just goes over my head after 34 years living under a viaduct.
View attachment 215873

The first time I encountered one was when I moved back to Brum from Brixton. My new house backs onto the Brum to Walsall line and a few weeks in one of these tampers rolled across about 1.00 am. I was on morphine at the time after a hip op and thought it was a crazy dream at first until the guy operating it shouted hello and sorry.

Apologies for the derail Brixtonites, and the pun.

Back
Top Bottom