Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Some bloke on a bike and a megaphone flanked by three cars just went bellowing down Coldharbour Lane. Any idea what it was about?
Probably best ignored. There are a lot of organised hate-filled bastards trying to get their message out. Britain First seem to be taking advantage of people’s boredom with lockdown and gathering large amounts of sympathy with that to get a racist message over later.
Much as our governing party makes me sick, all we can do at present is take official advice and hope the opposition holds them to account.

Apologies trying to do that from my phone - this was the outside the tube station this morning at 8.20. Pretty deserted

Edit: don’t think anyone can see the picture of the pretty empty entrance to the station I tried to post. Sorry!

Last edited:
Article in Metro about housing association raising rents in flats used by frontline workers in Brixton.

According to the HA (Notting Hill Genesis), it's because the rents are pegged to 80% of local market rents, and the rent raise being a few years overdue.

(Usual irritation at the lazy use of the word "discounted homes" in the first line of the article)
Surely Genesis is one of the trans type housing associations which have morphed from social housing into totally capitalist commercial housing development situations (as Dave Spart would have said)?

Don't they have a rent officer any more who can determine what a fair rent would be? If not they should surely bring that system back to keep these rapacious bastards under control. After all the Brixton Water Lane flats must have been there 15 years or more. They are raking in rents set against 2005 building costs - maybe less.

80% of local market rents is sky high in a gentrified Brixton.

Well, exactly! At least they didn't try to (mis) describe them as "affordable housing" .

The cynic in me immediately wondered if the HA was anticipating a long term drop in local market rents*, and getting a raise in quick.

I doubt there's ever been a case of a HA reducing rents to match local market rents? Presumably the most that would happen is that there'd be no increase until things stabilised.

*I would love to see a real drop in local rents, even though - as a private renter - the only way it would benefit me would be for me to leave my current place (which I am moderately attached to :):oops::( ) & look for a cheaper one. In fact, since the only way I afford my rent is to sub-let my living room, if local rents dropped very much, I'd be pretty much forced into moving - although at least I'd have a chance of staying local.

Petcha Brixton Windmill is milling flour and selling at some local outlets, although you'll need to check which are still open.
You can check stockiss here

Does anyone know anywhere in the general vicinity to get some flour?

They seemed to be selling it from the Gail's bakery on Abbeville Road, I assume it was artisan & £££.
I think plenty of those type of places are selling it now, if you can face that.

20 knives!!!
On Wednesday 29 April 2020 at Inner London Crown Court, 18 year-old Denique Iswom Newell of Mercator Road, Lewisham, admitted possession of 20 knives, including several zombie knives and lock knives were wrapped in cellophane as if new.

He will be sentenced on at Inner London Crown Court on Wednesday 10 June 2020 ...

bikw0csrbzduevzitwpn.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

... let's hope Denique Iswom Newell can explain what he was doing, or intended to do with them.

Reactions: CH1
On Wednesday 29 April 2020 at Inner London Crown Court, 18 year-old Denique Iswom Newell of Mercator Road, Lewisham, admitted possession of 20 knives, including several zombie knives and lock knives were wrapped in cellophane as if new.

He will be sentenced on at Inner London Crown Court on Wednesday 10 June 2020 ...

bikw0csrbzduevzitwpn.jpg

(Source: Metropolitan Police)

... let's hope Denique Iswom Newell can explain what he was doing, or intended to do with them.
Explain?

Thinking of getting my 18 yo daughter a bike, what local bike shops would peeps recommend
obvs Brixton cycles but I can’t see what models they sell on their website and would like to
do a bit of research b4 I go into a shop so I am not taking up space and time browsing in this time....

Thinking of getting my 18 yo daughter a bike, what local bike shops would peeps recommend
obvs Brixton cycles but I can’t see what models they sell on their website and would like to
do a bit of research b4 I go into a shop so I am not taking up space and time browsing in this time....
Both Brixton Cycles and Harbour Cycles are good.

Halfords on Effra Road. The staff there aren't super-enthusiastic bike fanatic experts, but they're OK, and there's a lot of bikes.
thanks....well they also have a website with the bikes available on it which is a big help.....would have preferred to put money into a local biz tho’....
Ah bicycles, the toilet paper!
....think dropping a wad of dosh on a bike is a bit more complex than a couple of quid on a four pack of bog roll, hence my desire to check models and availability first rather than go in on the off chance while peeps are waiting outside.....

As another alternative, I’ve always been happy when servicing my bike at Herne Hill Cycles, but never bought a bike from them and have no idea what kind of stock they have or can provide.

Proper small independent shop, so I suspect you’d get far better advice by popping in for a chat with them than by browsing their website for models available. The bloke who runs it is a nice friendly fellow anyway.

As another alternative, I’ve always been happy when servicing my bike at Herne Hill Cycles, but never bought a bike from them and have no idea what kind of stock they have or can provide.

Proper small independent shop, so I suspect you’d get far better advice by popping in for a chat with them than by browsing their website for models available. The bloke who runs it is a nice friendly fellow anyway.

Thanks for this, their website has a list of models so we can have look together as a starting point 👍

If you don’t find what you’re looking for with the other suggestions, I love Balfe’s Bikes up in streatham. The guys there are so helpful! Balfe's Bikes | Cycles Workshops | Book Servicing Online

On bike rated matters, had a bike service done by Stuart near Brixton Hill, and now bike is running smooth along these quiet streets. Haven't cycled in years and its been great speeding along empty roads. Would recommend if you need any repairs/ servicing / general bike related help.

Attachments

• IMG-20200518-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200518-WA0002.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom