Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

useful for web access though
Yeah will be handy for longer tube journeys, it does mean kids will have reception to play YouTube videos through their speakers of their phone though, unfortunately.

I'd like it if as part of an election manifesto, all parties would agree to issue all young people between the age 11-21 with a set of earphones that they can use to listen to their videos/music without annoying the shit out of everyone nearby.

Yeah will be handy for longer tube journeys, it does mean kids will have reception to play YouTube videos through their speakers of their phone though, unfortunately.

I'd like it if as part of an election manifesto, all parties would agree to issue all young people between the age 11-21 with a set of earphones that they can use to listen to their videos/music without annoying the shit out of everyone nearby.
Surprisingly not just kids though. Just seems to be the norm. You have to wear headphones even if you are not listening to anything, just to block out everyone else!

Last edited:

Would be the same if they downloaded as well 🤷‍♂️

Never mind that - what are your thoughts on the new 35 bus? (electric one)
Most of the seats have USB charge sockets for people's mobile phones, yet "stop" buttons seems a bit sparse compared with the old diesels.
The lower floor back seats are arranged in birth position with low ceiling and upward sloping floor - and the back window is blacked out so you can't see if a more convenient 345 or P4 is looming up behind.
There is one saving grace - all the seats face the front - so an end to OCD misery with people putting their feet on the seats.
View attachment 424531
I went on one of these today and found the fake timber flooring to be preposterous, and felt sad that all of London's buses can't be designed as nicely as the New Routemasters. We deserve better than this.

anyone know anything about 2 guys from nour being arrested and frogmarched out of brixton village? just seen a video which i can’t link to unfortunately

Not sure where to post this - it's local, but not quite "Diane Abbott" or "Brixton" or "Lambeth Council conspiracies"

As the story is not about Diane Abbott, Brixton or Lambeth Council, but concerns a member of Southwark Council who was brought up in the Peckham area and unsuccessfully sought to become the member of parliament for Peckham, perhaps you could try the thread entitled "Peckham news, rumours and general chat".

Reactions: CH1
FUNERAL DETAILS for Nobby

Thursday 6th June 2024 - 11.45am
Lambeth Cemetery
Blackshaw Road
Tooting, London. SW17 0DH
This will be followed by a celebration of Nobby’s life at The Railway Tavern (Tulse Hill) @ 1.30pm onwards
You can take a train from Tooting to Tulse Hill directly… it’s 2 stops and takes 9 mins

I just got a text to say roads are all closed and buses diverted.
I was coming up Brixton Hill on my bike at 8.30. Just south of the prison, the bus lanes in each direction had been closed. The road is also taking all the buses from Tulse Hill, 2, 415, 432 etc. It was bedlam.

Never mind that - what are your thoughts on the new 35 bus? (electric one)
Most of the seats have USB charge sockets for people's mobile phones, yet "stop" buttons seems a bit sparse compared with the old diesels.
The lower floor back seats are arranged in birth position with low ceiling and upward sloping floor - and the back window is blacked out so you can't see if a more convenient 345 or P4 is looming up behind.
There is one saving grace - all the seats face the front - so an end to OCD misery with people putting their feet on the seats.
View attachment 424531
I like the skylight. Is that the 35?

I agree it’s a bit much but is she really posh? She grew up in Cameroon which must at the very least make ‘being posh’ a bit less likely. Guessing he’s minted and she’s got nothing better to do and is a bit pretentious. But we are only guessing…
As with any post-colonial country, Cameroon has its elites, its bourgeoisie & its workers. I'm guessing she's from the middle or upper layer - those whose parents sent them for a European education.

As with any post-colonial country, Cameroon has its elites, its bourgeoisie & its workers. I'm guessing she's from the middle or upper layer - those whose parents sent them for a European education.
ok but we did this - it's a half house they bought in 2011 probably for about 300k, so we're not exactly in Lord and Lady Snooty territory.

ok but we did this - it's a half house they bought in 2011 probably for about 300k, so we're not exactly in Lord and Lady Snooty territory.

TBF, "posh" is relative. I certainly couldn't even muster the wherewithal for a mortgage of £120,000, even here in 2024! To me, all home-owners (including my parents) are "Lord & Lady Snooty"!

What's it worth now is what matters. That's how you judge someone's wealth. And once you factor all the money they've spent on their high end improvements and you're looking at a very expensive house.

And your wild guess of £300k would still have been the equivalent of getting on half a million quid 13 years ago, a figure that would have been way out of reach for many locals.

But it's all relative of course. Perhaps you own a nice house so it all seems quite affordable for you.

What's it worth now is what matters. That's how you judge someone's wealth. And once you factor all the money they've spent on their high end improvements and you're looking at a very expensive house.

And your wild guess of £300k would still have been the equivalent of getting on half a million quid 13 years ago, a figure that would have been way out of reach for many locals.

But it's all relative of course. Perhaps you own a nice house so it all seems quite affordable for you.
Not so many years ago the big divide in Brixton was between white people and black people, nowadays it's between homeowner and not-homeowner.

It wasn’t a “wild guess” - I looked up the cost on the road.
And you don’t have to guess whether or not they are comparatively rich or not - just look up the average salary and work out if two people on average London salaries could afford it. Answer - yes it was a very average house purchase in 2011.
The financial situation of you or I is completely irrelevant, which seems to be the bit you’re stuck on.

It wasn’t a “wild guess” - I looked up the cost on the road.
And you don’t have to guess whether or not they are comparatively rich or not - just look up the average salary and work out if two people on average London salaries could afford it. Answer - yes it was a very average house purchase in 2011.
The financial situation of you or I is completely irrelevant, which seems to be the bit you’re stuck on.
You seem unable to accept that a vast amount of people in Brixton were unable to fork out £300K for a house in 2011 and then spend what appears to be an awful lot of money extending the house and buying in luxury, bespoke items for all over the world.

Are you a homeowner?

You seem unable to accept that a vast amount of people in Brixton were unable to fork out £300K for a house in 2011 and then spend what appears to be an awful lot of money extending the house and buying in luxury, bespoke items for all over the world.

Are you a homeowner?
no shit. but you’re struggling with ‘average’. that means there will always be people above and below. And once again, little old you and me are irrelevant here.

Back
Top Bottom