Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

It's not a house. It's a 'half house' - a maisonette with a communal hallway and no structural, sound or fire separation from its neighbour. They are tiny - barely 75m2 including the attic. The back yard is just large enough for a washing line. A clever architect might wring another 10m2 out of such a site, but not much more. During my first stint in Brixton in the mid-90s I lived in one of these with a couple of others. It was pretty miserable. A dark and damp jerry-built example of Victorian volume house-building at its worst.

The current UK minimum space standards for new builds specify a minimum of 90m2 for a 3-bed 3-storey property designed for 4 inhabitants. And the UK builds the smallest homes in Europe. This place isn't even that big.

When I read the article I didn't immediately think 'posh' or 'rich' or 'luxury'. I saw a story of a couple who had spent a decade raising a family in a space that would be considered overcrowded on the rental market and that is far smaller than contemporary social housing. I presume to know nothing of them or their circumstances, but 2011 was the era of the Stamp Duty holiday and the 100% mortgage. Lots of people who might otherwise have rented privately, or who couldn't get a council or HA home, found themselves as homeowners in a way that isn't possible today. I had the impression they had been working up to this for a long while and had done it within very limited means.

Last but not least - this isn't a high-spec job. It has some nice simple joinery and basic paint and plaster finishes. Hopefully some was commissioned from one of the many excellent independent tradespeople in our area who give the chainstores a run for their money.

It's not a house. It's a 'half house' - a maisonette with a communal hallway and no structural, sound or fire separation from its neighbour. They are tiny - barely 75m2 including the attic. The back yard is just large enough for a washing line. A clever architect might wring another 10m2 out of such a site, but not much more. During my first stint in Brixton in the mid-90s I lived in one of these with a couple of others. It was pretty miserable. A dark and damp jerry-built example of Victorian volume house-building at its worst.
I'd imagine your 'dark and damp jerry-built example of Victorian volume house-building' wasn't a three floor affair with a lovely garden boasting a Siberian larch deck, a modular, charcoal-hued concrete counter sourced from the Netherlands and designer lines of vintage oak, Belgian lime paint, zinc, concrete, and brass throughout, with an 'extension and reinvention.'

All that sure sounds posh to me, but then owning any kind of house in Brixton is not on my horizon.

Do you own your own house? Does it look like this?

no shit. but you’re struggling with ‘average’. that means there will always be people above and below. And once again, little old you and me are irrelevant here.
And there will always be people that find some things 'posh' that rich/richer folk don't.

I expressed my opinion from how I see such a house, and here you are trying to 'correct' me.

And your wild guess of £300k would still have been the equivalent of getting on half a million quid 13 years ago, a figure that would have been way out of reach for many locals.
I’m sorry but I don’t see how £300k 13 years ago is the equivalent of £500k 13 years ago?

I'd imagine your 'dark and damp jerry-built example of Victorian volume house-building' wasn't a three floor affair with a lovely garden boasting a Siberian larch deck, a modular, charcoal-hued concrete counter sourced from the Netherlands and designer lines of vintage oak, Belgian lime paint, zinc, concrete, and brass throughout, with an 'extension and reinvention.'

All that sure sounds posh to me, but then owning any kind of house in Brixton is not on my horizon.

Do you own your own house? Does it look like this?

It pains me to state the bleeding obvious, but purple prose in copywriting is often used to embellish facts for marketing.

I’m not going to post the location of this home here, but I lived six doors down in one that would have been identical prior to their recent renovation. Dampness and gloom are baked in unfortunately.

Siberian Larch is a common low-mid range decking timber. The concrete counter is an off the shelf product. Limewash is a natural paint product in Belgium in a way it has ceased to be in the UK. I work in sustainability and design for public purpose and inclusion. The fact that these people have bought low impact products from northern Europe over Chinese factory goods, and their commissioning of a sole trader architect and designer, makes me glad. I wish more people spent wisely and supported small businesses and low carbon supply chains.

It pains me to state the bleeding obvious, but purple prose in copywriting is often used to embellish facts for marketing.
Whatever you say, but the actual photos look bright, airy and expensively furnished. Anything but damp and gloomy in fact.

Whatever you say, but the actual photos look bright, airy and expensively furnished. Anything but damp and gloomy in fact.
Professional architectural photography. Taken to make it look its best. Those houses face due East. Bright in the early mornings but the sun is gone by noon. Back rooms always in the shade. Our kitchen and bathroom were cold.

Yes multiple people are trying to point out your anecdotal opinion is beaten by actual facts. But I am certainly prepared to give up now.
Two persistent people actually, both presumably homeowners, who have zero understanding of how buying a house is totally out of reach for a vast chunk of their own community.

If I find a three storey, private designer house featured in multiple high end style and lifestyle magazines 'posh' then that's the 'actual facts' of the matter, and your bullying isn't going to change that opinion.

Two persistent people actually, both presumably homeowners, who have zero understanding of how buying a house is totally out of reach for a vast chunk of their own community.

If I find a three storey, private designer house featured in multiple high end style and lifestyle magazines 'posh' then that's the 'actual facts' of the matter, and your bullying isn't going to change that opinion.
There you go again, being unpleasant and trying to make it personal.

Of course I’m aware of the housing situation in this borough. That’s not what I’m debating.

You started this off by inviting people to throw stones. If you still think this family is ‘fair game’ now you know it’s a tiny maisonette done modestly and sustainably by its long-term residents, then good for you and your prejudices.

There you go again, being unpleasant and trying to make it personal.

Of course I’m aware of the housing situation in this borough. That’s not what I’m debating.

You started this off by inviting people to throw stones. If you still think this family is ‘fair game’ now you know it’s a tiny maisonette done modestly and sustainably by its long-term residents, then good for you and your prejudices.
Nope. I didn't invite anyone to 'throw stones.' I just made a personal observation about a fancy house whose owners elected to boast about across multiple international publications.

You seem to think I'm not entitled to express an contrary opinion to yours, as if the definition of 'posh' isn't relative to a person's wealth, status and circumstances.

But you're quite wrong. The whole purpose of forums is to share information and opinions and I really won't be bullied into silence or confessing that I'm somehow 'wrong' just because you disagree.

PS I didn't realise a 'tiny maisonette' could in fact span three floors. But if you're classing that building as 'tiny' then some of my flats must have been positively microscopic!

Anyone I'm done with this. Bye!

Nope. I didn't invite anyone to 'throw stones.' I just made a personal observation about a fancy house whose owners elected to boast about across multiple international publications.

You seem to think I'm not entitled to express an contrary opinion to yours, as if the definition of 'posh' isn't relative to a person's wealth, status and circumstances.

But you're quite wrong. The whole purpose of forums is to share information and opinions and I really won't be bullied into silence or confessing that I'm somehow 'wrong' just because you disagree.

PS I didn't realise a 'tiny maisonette' could in fact span three floors. But if you're classing that building as 'tiny' then some of my flats must have been positively microscopic!

Anyone I'm done with this. Bye!
Dearie me. I’m not saying or doing any of that.

I like debating things here and always try my best to be reasonable, thoughtful and informative. This is a discussion where context really matters though. If the opening premise seems off then filling in some of the blanks is useful to all.

Tiny homes can easily span multiple floors. Especially in cities where land values are highest. That’s why a maisonette can be a two-up two-down plus attic and still be only 75m2 gross area - losing a further 20% of that to stairs and landings. Of course there are smaller homes around - and I too have spent years in studios and bedsits that are smaller yet - but for a family of four that kind of space doesn’t meet code these days.

I have no interest in scoring points here, so let’s just leave it. There’s enough contrast now for intelligent folk to make up their own minds.

Demonstration outside Nour this afternoon. Police watching. I didn't have anything to buy there so didn't try to get into the shop, but I imagine it would have been difficult and intimidating.

View attachment 426948

I saw a flier about this campaign recently going on about "settlers". Nour is run by immigrant family FFS.

I was in Nour Cash and Carry later on to do a lot of shopping. Dates that aren't from Israel/ cheap yoghurt drink among other things.

I think the best way to support them is to shop there.

When I'm in Nour Cash and Carry they have a lot of people from ethnic minorities doing shopping

I think the campaign against them is the worst sort of anti racism. The if your not "black" in sense of being Afro Carribbean then you are not really subject to racism.

Maybe the 'demonstrators' would prefer to shop at Black Farmer instead? This seems less like genuine concern about treatment of Black customers than an opportunity to intimidate and harass a hard-working family business who have struggled to stay in Brixton and provide an excellent array of goods at great prices.

The amount of drivers ignoring the road closed sign at Gresham Rd and then having to do 3 point turns when they discover Pope’s Rd is CLOSED… 🙄

Freight
New 1000 pax capacity bar to open above Sports Direct 5th July.
A 1st floor roof bar without a view! What's that about? Surely the appeal of a 'roof bar' is the amazing views of the city you'er in? Popes Road 'Sports Direct' roof does not offer that apart from the Rec, the railway arches or the social housing near by. The carpark in Peckham "Franks Bar' has an amazing vista of London.

A 1st floor roof bar without a view! What's that about? Surely the appeal of a 'roof bar' is the amazing views of the city you'er in? Popes Road 'Sports Direct' roof does not offer that apart from the Rec, the railway arches or the social housing near by. The carpark in Peckham "Franks Bar' has an amazing vista of London.
Given the failing bars and pubs around, it's going to have to be something special to attract that size of a crowd.

Last edited:
Given the failing bars and pubs around, it's going to have to be something special to attract that size of a crowd.
The previous themed bars there did reasonably well, even though I can't say I wanted to visit them ever again.

The one good thing is that it'll probably help late bars like the Dogstar and Ton of Brix when the tourists want to keep on drinking.

Franks - with some thought - could easily be replicated especially with their Summers arts programme

Posted on Facebook today
448455139_1129246258189655_4287481209309115067_n.jpg
I had a padding acquaintance with Kevin's mother Dorothy who was a member of Brixton Unitarian Church.
I think the family lived on the Brixton side of Tulse Hill.
I remember Dorothy had some occasion - birthday celebration maybe - at the church, and son Kevin came to it, hiring a stretch limo for the event.

Brixton Footballer Kevin Campbell (known to Brixton Unitarians' Chapel) Dies Aged Only 54

86153959-13533153-image-m-12_1718442977242.jpg

86154023-13533153-image-m-14_1718443153085.jpg

86161419-0-image-a-2_1718465346951.jpg

86158477-0-image-m-25_1718457294763.jpg

86158477-0-image-m-27_1718457347143.jpg

85621441-0-image-a-1_1717348924426.jpg

86161389-0-image-a-1_1718465335698.jpg

Kevin Joseph Campbell

4 February 1970 - 15 June 2024

Rest In Peace

Our condolences to his family and the people of Brixton, Lambeth who have lost one of their greatest sons.

Construction has started on a new pedestrian crossing on Brixton Hill at St. Saviour's Road.

1718807912952.png

A shame it's not an integrated junction for cycling over the main road, but they are putting magic blue circles up to allow cycles to use the crossing, which is nice I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom