Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

As if. I just don't think the wet articles about boorish blokey behaviour are some damning indictment just because some middle class guy thinks the world is all cuddly and right-on.
Of course that behaviour isn’t acceptable in the police. The fact you think it is shows what a massive twat you are.

Interesting article from a special constable at Brixton police station and rather good end quote - sounds v believable and obviously 25% is far far too high.

Thats what I suspected. I can't imagine how female officers put up with it.

Forty years ago, I had the misfortune to live near a football ground and I was trying to do a food shop on a saturday afternoon. I was jeered, whisled at and cat called by a dozen or so male coppers in a police van - I was angry and shouted " You are supposed to protect me from people like you!" Not sure cops would actually whistle now - but that article shows that the atitude of male cops hasn't changed at all.

Last edited:
As if. I just don't think the wet articles about boorish blokey behaviour are some damning indictment just because some middle class guy thinks the world is all cuddly and right-on.
ffs! Stop embassing yourself and have a think about it. This behaviour is from the colleagues of the murderer of Sarah Everard.

Can't you see the link between this 'borish blokey behaviour' the disinterest in violence again women, the fact that police call outs to domestic violence are slower than other call outs and the inability to catch rapists? Police didn't spot that there was a woman killer / rapist in their ranks because he fitted right in the sexualised, violent misogeny that they consider acceptable. If anyone can't understand that then they are thick as well as ignorant.

It's not just some middle class white guy who thinks this - ask any woman of any class we can explain damning indictments, ask these women: Police clash with mourners at Sarah Everard vigil in London Women dont feel safe - because we are not.
We know the world isn't 'cuddly and right on' - we have to live in a world were male violence against women is accepted by the very people who are tasked to catch those rapists, violent men and murderers.

pbsmooth do me a favour and shut the fuck up. By the way if my anger offends your blokey sensibilities - I dont care.

1683434309503.png

There's no excuse for sexist behaviour, and it needs to be dealt with for sure, but how people feel, and objective reality aren't always the same thing.

View attachment 373693

There's no excuse for sexist behaviour, and it needs to be dealt with for sure, but how people feel, and objective reality aren't always the same thing.
Have you got a graph showing killings by male and female perpetrators? Or one of violent crimes by male and females? Or one were they show changing rates of police catching rapists?

Fwd: Sign Up to get £450 and influence the design of Brixton Station Road and Canterbury Crescent

( Pop site and International house)

Two weeks ago, we shared the attached opportunity with 7,000 residents via post. We wanted to extend that invitation through the networks we have discovered over the last few weeks and are therefore inviting you to share it with people you know who live in Brixton so that they can sign up before the closing date of 2nd April.

This is a paid opportunity to participate in the London Square co design workshops relating to the development of 49 Brixton Station Road and 6 Canterbury Crescent. It does require a commitment of 45 hours of your time between now and June. In return you will receive £450 as a thank you for your commitment to helping us understand a local perspective on the site and its future development.

We will select 30 participants using random selection via an independent organisation (www.sortitionfoundation.org) to be part of the panel. Please read the attached letter and either telephone the freephone number or sign up on the webpage.
Sortition Foundation
We promote and institute sortition in empowered assemblies, and envision a world free from partisan politicking, where a representative random sample of everyday people make decisions in an informed, deliberative and fair environment. Join us!
www.sortitionfoundation.org

Please share this with the people that you support in the community to give them an opportunity to participate.
I am on this panel if anyone has any questions! We have had 3 meetings so far and another 3/4 to come.

I am on this panel if anyone has any questions! We have had 3 meetings so far and another 3/4 to come.

There is a thread related to the site

I went to a preliminary meeting but did not put my name in for the panel.

I posted this about the preliminary meeting.

Post in thread 'Brixton Rec/central Brixton consultation and the 'Rec Quarter' proposals' Brixton Rec/central Brixton consultation and the 'Rec Quarter' proposals

Has the issue of the fifty percent housing been clarified?

Thanks for posting up here.

If you want to post up on that thread please do.

There is a thread related to the site

I went to a preliminary meeting but did not put my name in for the panel.

I posted this about the preliminary meeting.

Post in thread 'Brixton Rec/central Brixton consultation and the 'Rec Quarter' proposals' Brixton Rec/central Brixton consultation and the 'Rec Quarter' proposals

Has the issue of the fifty percent housing been clarified?

Thanks for posting up here.

If you want to post up on that thread please do.
I will ask about the housing at the next meeting.

Do you mean 50% affordable housing or 50% housing in general considering international house will be commercial space and Pop Brixton will be a mix?

Edit: social -> affordable housing

Last edited:
Friendofdorothy said that "Women dont feel safe - because we are not". My point is that although women don't feel safe, they are in fact less likely to be murdered than men.
thanks for telling us how we should feel. The point friendofdorothy was making, in case you missed it, was that the police, who are tasked with investigating crimes against women are also committing them. I myself have been sexually assaulted in Brixton and the police officer suggested I didn't take it any further as it would mean he'd have to do a load of paperwork. Hardly confidence inspiring, is it?

thanks for telling us how we should feel. The point friendofdorothy was making, in case you missed it, was that the police, who are tasked with investigating crimes against women are also committing them. I myself have been sexually assaulted in Brixton and the police officer suggested I didn't take it any further as it would mean he'd have to do a load of paperwork. Hardly confidence inspiring, is it?
What did you do after his suggestion?

Two things are correct here. The met police are inherently bigoted as an institution and employ many complete bastards who are accepted by the rest.

Men are far more likely to be murdered than women. That we are largely murdered by other men does not diminish this ugly fact. That we are the same gender as our murderers does not mean any culpability on the dead.

I will ask about the housing at the next meeting.

Do you mean 50% affordable housing or 50% housing in general considering international house will be commercial space and Pop Brixton will be a mix?

Edit: social -> affordable housing

I was referring to this written by Council:

What I want to know is :

Is this a cast iron commitment that will not be watered down in a few years time using the excuse of "financial viability".

If you read my post on the thread I go into this. The answer I got from officer and London Square representative was not exactly encouraging.

The Council say 50 percent so I want to see this as guaranteed cast iron commitment. Not an aspiration.

I want guarantees in writing from Council and London Square publicly put out by both partners that they will keep to this.

Put out now as the project is starting as a commitment to the local community.

Seen to many times developers wriggle out of affordable housing commitments.

Perhaps we could continue this discussion on the thread about the site I posted up?

, the preferred bidder has committed to delivering around 240 new homes – comprising 50 percent affordable homes, with 70% at council rents and 30% as either shared ownership or London Living Rent, with a quarter earmarked for larger families. This will mean around 80 new council homes, with priority for local Brixton families.

Last edited:
View attachment 373693

Grandma. Eggs.

Regardless of stats, fear of violence moderates womens behaviour in public places in a way that most men have no concept of.

Perhaps I should have have been clearer in that post and said:
Police clash with mourners at Sarah Everard vigil in London Women dont feel safe around the police- because we are not.

You regularly come out with stuff like this when policing comes up

What do you think of the Casey report?

I've read some of it and her report says the Met is institutionally racist, sexist and homophobic.

Her report features reports of "boorish blimey behaviour" . Which she for one does not find acceptable.

In particular the Parliamentary and Diplomatic protection section (armed officers) in her view should be effectively disbanded and reset. Due to its being run in macho boys culture way. Plenty of examples of sexism affects whole culture of Met. You either join in , keep quiet or if you complain your likely to get a hard time.

She points out the complaints procedures in Met are a farce

Or is Casey to be dismissed as flakey middle class who thinks the world should be all cuddly and right on?

I did read the whole Guardian article by the man who joined the Special Constables ( volunteers). What I did find flakey was that he seemed to think being a copper was ( or should be) some kind of social work job.

It is this myth that policing is like Dickson of Dock Green.

Even Casey buys into it with holding up Met to standard of Peels policing ideas.

The origins of policing were two fold:

Policing the new urban working class centred in new capitalist industries in cities in 19c

Policing slaves in colonies and US.

ie the origins of policing were not about being nice and cuddly. They were oppressive. Keeping working class and slaves in their place. As these two groups were seen as threat to the social order.

Post war Britain saw influx of people from Carribbean. Invited here to rebuild Britain.

Riot / Uprising of 81 was related to the colonial style policing being introduced to Britain with this influx. The colonies coming to the "Mother Country". This kind of policing was standard in colonies. Rightly 81 is seen in this context as an uprising.

My disagreement with Casey is her rose tinted spectacles view about what policing should be and it origins.

When it comes to the crunch it is there to uphold State order.

Not saying her report is useless. Far from it. She has assembled a mass of evidence. Gone out of her way to talk to people who normally are not listened to and asked awkward questions.

Last edited:
I did read the whole Guardian article by the man who joined the Special Constables ( volunteers). What I did find flakey was that he seemed to think being a copper was ( or should be) some kind of social work job.

It is this myth that policing is like Dickson of Dock Green.

Even Casey buys into it with holding up Met to standard of Peels policing ideas.

The origins of policing were two fold:

Policing the new urban working class centred in new capitalist industries in cities in 19c

Policing slaves in colonies and US.

ie the origins of policing were not about being nice and cuddly. They were oppressive. Keeping working class and slaves in their place. As these two groups were seen as threat to the social order.

Post war Britain saw influx of people from Carribbean. Invited here to rebuild Britain.

Riot / Uprising of 81 was related to the colonial style policing being introduced to Britain with this influx. The colonies coming to the "Mother Country". This kind of policing was standard in colonies.

My disagreement with Casey is her rose tinted spectacles view about what policing should be and it origins.

When it comes to the crunch it is there to uphold State order.

Not saying her report is useless. Far from it. She has assembled a mass of evidence. Gone out of her way to talk to people who normally are not listened to and asked awkward questions.

the kind of polcing you are referring to was originally used on the english.
do yourself a favour and read up on henry viii's vagabond laws.
to say it was a colonial system is disingenuous.

Last edited:
I really sometimes wonder why I bother with Urban.

So far in this thread:

Arguments about whether women really suffer from violence compared to men. Given recent events beyond tasteless.

Criticising police is sign of being middle class.

And yes lets talk about people who are indigenous to this country.

I really sometimes wonder why I bother with Urban.

So far in this thread:

Arguments about whether women really suffer from violence compared to men. Given recent events beyond tasteless.

Criticising police is sign of being middle class.

And yes lets talk about people who are indigenous to this country.

er...it was the sixteenth century so i think the term is correct.
....i've edited so you feel less annoyed.

And btw what I originally posted was that the origins on policing were two fold.

Both here in Britain and in colonies/ US

If my post had been read properly.

I dont like the term "indigenous" due to the its connotations.

But I was not saying that policing was just about colonial policing.

What I was saying was the the policing in this country post war changed to deal with the new immigrant populations.

That forms of more colonial style policing were brought here. Leading to 81.

Almost finished this book.

One thing she narrates is that over lifetime of British Empire those in UK who opposed it said as part of opposing way colonial people were treated that if working class in UK let the establishment get away with it then at some point the methods used in colonies would end up here.

That in effect their was common cause between the "indigenous" working class of Britain and colonial peoples.

Kind of proved true with way Miners strike was policed.

Same with writer on policing Adam Elliot Cooper. He points out that the post war policing on black immigrant communities affected the white working class communities who lived alongside them. Something that rings true too me when talking to white working class londoners of a certain age. Whilst a bit right on certain issue do not like the police.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom