Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Wiki said this: They released their debut album, Champagne Holocaust, in 2013.
Obviously C+F was a seminal moment for them!
from the buzz article...

"....Local anarcho-activist group Yuppies Out have announced a ‘Champagne Holocaust’ street party to coincide with the opening of the wine bar, where they will be offering ‘free Dairylea cheese slices and White Ace cider’ backed by live music coming from the Fat White Family, Meat Raffle and ‘whoever else wants to play."

blimey...a lot of musicians would have took them to court for copyright violation

The singer wrote a book that made it into the Sunday Times top ten bestseller list and has been nominated for the 2023 Penderyn Music Book Prize, while various band members have contributed to several successful recording and touring bands since. AFAIK, the FWF are working on a new album.

...clever guys !

I'm struggling to think of anything more symbolic of gentrification than a pretentiously named champagne bar opening up in what was a working class market.
I know what you mean, but it's just the words for champagne and cheese written in the French language. It's sad if Brixton can't handle some words written in a foreign language when it's supposed to be a place of tolerance.

It's like the cereal café on brick lane that became a magnet for all those protests. It's not gimmicky small businesses that cause gentrification, it's the capitalist machine and the ever increasing cost of housing.

I know what you mean, but it's just the words for champagne and cheese written in the French language. It's sad if Brixton can't handle some words written in a foreign language when it's supposed to be a place of tolerance.

It's like the cereal café on brick lane that became a magnet for all those protests. It's not gimmicky small businesses that cause gentrification, it's the capitalist machine and the ever increasing cost of housing.

...didnt you realise that using fancy foriegn words is an affront to some folks and a lot of people voted brexit to put a stop to it...🤬

Yes.. Brixton.. famous for not accepting businesses with foreign names.

Let me introduce you to the shop un homme de paille

I miss the anarchists. Put the fun back into protest.

Not an anarchist myself. But did not see a problem with a protest against the Champagne and fromage shop.

Sign of the tolerance in Brixton that a protest like that could go ahead.

And in my time in Brixton Ive been involved in housing issues and planning issues that partially are related to opposing gentrification.

I would say these efforts have largely failed. In case of Rec locals including me saved it. But now concern is that it is getting expensive.

So from those posters here who object to protests like the anarchists one years back be good to see what alternatives they have to going through the usual channels ( what I have done) or having a go at the symptoms of gentrification ( anarchist response)

wait..says there..."health spas and flute solos" ...
I see from the 2013 Guardian profile they were connected with the New Queens Head in Stockwell Road
"With their provocative stance and uncomfortable lyrics, this ramshackle London band are the antidote to Brixton gentrification"

Not my scene at all - but for anyone wanting to wallow in 1hour 15 minutes of their "ambience" here is a high-quality recording from St Malo by Arte Concerts (warning - the text is all in FRENCH as its a French video channel devoted to the arts)
Free to view

I see from the 2013 Guardian profile they were connected with the New Queens Head in Stockwell Road
"With their provocative stance and uncomfortable lyrics, this ramshackle London band are the antidote to Brixton gentrification"

Not my scene at all - but for anyone wanting to wallow in 1hour 15 minutes of their "ambience" here is a high-quality recording from St Malo by Arte Concerts (warning - the text is all in FRENCH as its a French video channel devoted to the arts)
Free to view

musically i thought they were quite good, i see one has just brought out an album of chessy karaoke
cover versions using a casio keyboardd and preset rythms, in an interview he talks about the literal english translation of karaoke ( empty orchestra) ...so good to challenge pretentious use of foriegn tongues. ( cant find a link atm phone playing up.

Reactions: CH1
musically i thought they were quite good, i see one has just brought out an album of chessy karaoke
cover versions using a casio keyboardd and preset rythms, in an interview he talks about the literal english translation of karaoke ( empty orchestra) ...so good to challenge pretentious use of foriegn tongues. ( cant find a link atm phone playing up.
Cheesy or Chessy? Could be a Putinesque difference here!

On Thursday 6 April 2023, a vigil and rally will be held at Windrush Square in Brixton, to mark five years since the 'Windrush Scandal' was brought to wider public attention beyond those immediately impacted by it:

Fsduc_YXwAQTMpi

FsdudLrXgAAMeDV

Sorry couldn't find a relevant thread to bump.
Many Peabody tenants in Brixton -they absorbed Solon HA and Family HA years ago.
Nice to know another merger is going ahead
Lord Kerslake is quite bullish here - as well he might.
Nothing like a bit of corporate optimism to counter a four part series on the Radio 4 Today programme about tenant neglect

Actually apart from my increasing hatred of being overshadowed by the yet incomplete Peabody super scraper on the Herne Hill Road Higgs Estate site
I was actually both horrified and intrigued by the Radio 4 report on a woman's body undiscovered in a Peabody flat for 2 and a half years.

Had we been in Grenada during the Revolution (see Black Cultural archives exhibition currently on), the state radio station would no doubt have been asking - "Have you checked on your neighbour". I actually heard advice on the radio on what to do if a co-worker gets something in their eye whilst harvesting.

What do Radio 4 highlight? - neighbours are suing Peabody for trauma. They want rehousing and justice!
Whoever once said "It's all about me!"

Edited: spellings

Last edited:
CH1 ....a strange postscript to the fat white conversation upthread.
yesterday i was out on a daytrip and saw this is in charity shop for a bargain price. of £10....

064D1C1D-D01D-4809-B94B-8E2B5304CBCC.jpeg

a great bargain for budding Scott Walkers planning an album of twisted post modern covers like yer man from the FWW........

AFC3B54E-B9A0-4D06-8B4D-71CB0D5212EA.jpeg

looks like an upgrade cos it comes with an on onboard sequencer (calculator ?) and built in speaker for live shows or busking.
( edit...i meant the keyboard but a couple of nice jackets too)

Last edited:
Reactions: CH1
Sorry couldn't find a relevant thread to bump.
Many Peabody tenants in Brixton -they absorbed Solon HA and Family HA years ago.
Nice to know another merger is going ahead
Lord Kerslake is quite bullish here - as well he might.
Nothing like a bit of corporate optimism to counter a four part series on the Radio 4 Today programme about tenant neglect

Actually apart from my increasing hatred of being overshadowed by the yet incomplete Peabody super scraper on the Herne Hill Road Higgs Estate site
I was actually both horrified and intrigued by the Radio 4 report on a woman's body undiscovered in a Peabody flat for 2 and a half years.

Had we been in Grenada during the Revolution (see Black Cultural archives exhibition currently on), the state radio station would no doubt have been asking - "Have you checked on your neighbour". I actually heard advice on the radio on what to do if a co-worker gets something in their eye whilst harvesting.

What do Radio 4 highlight? - neighbours are suing Peabody for trauma. They want rehousing and justice!
Whoever once said "It's all about me!"

Edited: spellings

I heard the Today programme reports.

Underlying issue is how Housing Associations have changed from touchy feely social work type organisations to hard nosed business.

This has led to increasing alienation of their tenants from the management.

Other issue is that this is not new in London.

I saw this years ago

Doc on woman who died alone and forgotten.

Doc maker attempts to reconstruct her life and give it the dignity it lost when dies alone. Shows how a person can lose contacts with others.

Its imo a particular London problem.

London is an international city. Not like the rest of England. Im saying this as someone who came from small town.

You can come here be accepted and live. Downside is that one can live very alone with no one bothering you. So end up isolated.

It is upside and downside of being in large City.

Can't be bothered to bump the Ritzy thread & anyway a few months back the fate of Cineworld was discussed on here,
City AM today had this - indicating that shareholders will be wiped out by the bankruptcy arrangements in the Texas court.
Might as well be Credit Suisse! - but come tho think of it surely it really is the same issue. Cineworld over expanded based on junk bonds
Then interest rates went up. Greed is Good - or so they said.

Brockwell Live: Project Six - free ticket in return for stewarding on the gates. Late May Bank holiday, over 3 days.

Some good acts, Fabio & Grooverider & the Outlook Orchestra, ShyFX.

I've volunteered for these people for years and they look after you. For day festivals you work your shift when the gates open (no more than 8 hr shift), and then you're free to see the headline act in the evening. You pay a deposit (£50) which is refunded fairly promptly after the event once you've completed your shift/shifts (to ensure people don't fail to show). And they give a donation to a charity of your choice (as opposed to other charity stewarding outfits where you just raise money for that one charity). I can't do this one cos I'm already at another festival, but I'd fancy it if I could.

Great exhibition with some brilliant and moving work and great views over Brixton. Hoping this is the right forum to post in.

Attachments

• exhibition-poster-jpeg.jpg
    exhibition-poster-jpeg.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 7
My 17 year old daughter went to volunteer there. She described them as being a bit 'privilege'!
No idea what your daughter means by priveledge there, they seem quite ordinary sorts of kids to me, but what do I know. They teach them how to be activists (is that a priveledge?) and I think that is fab, because we just had to muddle through and make it up as we went. Only assume your daughter has not met many really priveledged public school arseholes maybe?

Back
Top Bottom