Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

I never frequented central Brixton much for years until recently but it seems a few other businesses geared to the young professionals have failed. Champagne & Fromage seems to have gone (or has it been rebranded) and there seems to be other empty units. This must be so disappointing to commercial landlord who thought they'd make a killing.

...problem with being 'on trend' is that one can find oneself off trend just as quick.

Truly beyond parody.
The article is a year old, btw.

This was a great day.

Yuppies Our protest against the opening of Champagne & Fromage in Granvile Arcade, Brixton Village, Brixton, Friday 11th October 2013

Yuppies Our protest against the opening of Champagne & Fromage in Granvile Arcade, Brixton Village, Brixton, Friday 11th October 2013

Fwd: Sign Up to get £450 and influence the design of Brixton Station Road and Canterbury Crescent

( Pop site and International house)

Two weeks ago, we shared the attached opportunity with 7,000 residents via post. We wanted to extend that invitation through the networks we have discovered over the last few weeks and are therefore inviting you to share it with people you know who live in Brixton so that they can sign up before the closing date of 2nd April.

This is a paid opportunity to participate in the London Square co design workshops relating to the development of 49 Brixton Station Road and 6 Canterbury Crescent. It does require a commitment of 45 hours of your time between now and June. In return you will receive £450 as a thank you for your commitment to helping us understand a local perspective on the site and its future development.

We will select 30 participants using random selection via an independent organisation (www.sortitionfoundation.org) to be part of the panel. Please read the attached letter and either telephone the freephone number or sign up on the webpage.
Sortition Foundation
We promote and institute sortition in empowered assemblies, and envision a world free from partisan politicking, where a representative random sample of everyday people make decisions in an informed, deliberative and fair environment. Join us!
www.sortitionfoundation.org

Please share this with the people that you support in the community to give them an opportunity to participate.

Attachments

• FINAL Brixton Letter and FAQ for codesign recruitment (2).pdf
    133.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Brixton Invite Card.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
This is for a kind of citizens assembly for this development by developer London Square

One can apply but not necessarily be chosen to be part of it

And it's Mutual Gain who are organising this

Last edited:
Fwd: Sign Up to get £450 and influence the design of Brixton Station Road and Canterbury Crescent

( Pop site and International house)

Two weeks ago, we shared the attached opportunity with 7,000 residents via post. We wanted to extend that invitation through the networks we have discovered over the last few weeks and are therefore inviting you to share it with people you know who live in Brixton so that they can sign up before the closing date of 2nd April.

This is a paid opportunity to participate in the London Square co design workshops relating to the development of 49 Brixton Station Road and 6 Canterbury Crescent. It does require a commitment of 45 hours of your time between now and June. In return you will receive £450 as a thank you for your commitment to helping us understand a local perspective on the site and its future development.

We will select 30 participants using random selection via an independent organisation (www.sortitionfoundation.org) to be part of the panel. Please read the attached letter and either telephone the freephone number or sign up on the webpage.
Sortition Foundation
We promote and institute sortition in empowered assemblies, and envision a world free from partisan politicking, where a representative random sample of everyday people make decisions in an informed, deliberative and fair environment. Join us!
www.sortitionfoundation.org

Please share this with the people that you support in the community to give them an opportunity to participate.
Interesting approach. That's quite a commitment - especially if you can't miss a single session. No wonder they have had to cast the net wider than the original 7,000. I'd be curious to see what sort of spread of participants they pull together.

Interesting approach. That's quite a commitment - especially if you can't miss a single session. No wonder they have had to cast the net wider than the original 7,000. I'd be curious to see what sort of spread of participants they pull together.

I would be interested in doing it to find out what this kind of consultation is in practise.

Im wary of any Lambeth consultation.

The time committment is imo a bit over the top. And over a short time scale. My work and I cannot guarantee to be available for every session.

They might want people to drop out actually - to keep the cost down.
The "hourly rate" is not the best I've had for a focus group event.
I once did a one day Thames Water focus event up near the Elephant and Castle. It ran from about 10 am to 4 pm and had a massive buffet meal at lunchtime, including roasts etc.
Each "table" had a professional note-taker from the consultants, so participants actually had to do nothing but give their views. No choosing a spokesman or anything.
And the fee was £140 - about 10 years ago!

I’m not sure I have much right to comment but find the words someone’s chosen destroy on this in Dorell Place rather upsetting.

E80E8547-89C7-4EF5-9566-95791ACD560F.jpeg

Edit: actually personal circumstances (as if that’s even needed) give me every reason to be upset with someone trying to erase “the trans community”. This has really pissed me off.

The name champagne and fromage is significant because it means you expect to drink literally wine from the champagne region and French cheese.

They changed the name because they want to offer other types of wine and cheese, that's all.

The gentrification stuff is a bit misguided imo.

It has positive reviews on Google, many people say it's good value. I've been there myself as a treat for my parents in law and we had a good experience. I don't get all the hate.

Last edited:
The name champagne and fromage is significant because it means you expect to drink literally wine from the champagne region and French cheese.

They changed the name because they want to offer other types of wine and cheese, that's all.

It has positive reviews on Google, many people say it's good value. I've been there myself as a treat for my parents in law and we had a good experience. I don't get all the hate.
I presume you are referring to this: Yuppies Out plan Champagne and Fromage protest street party in Brixton on FRIDAY 11th October [date changed again]

NEWS

Yuppies Out plan Champagne and Fromage protest street party in Brixton on FRIDAY 11th October [date changed again]​

Thu 3rd October, 2013 - by Stevie SW9 - 27 Comments.
Yuppies Out plan Champagne and Fromage protest street party, 11th october

The impending arrival of the upmarket Champagne and Fromage wine bar in Granville Arcade (Brixton Village) has certainly split opinion wide open around Brixton, with some seeing it as an example of gentrification running out of control.

Yuppies Out plan Champagne and Fromage protest street party, 11th October

The champagne and nibbles store – which is expanding from its existing base in Covent Garden – declared themselves to be ‘so excited‘ about their new Brixton branch, and with the opening date now set for the 8th October, locals are preparing themselves for another huge shift in the demographic of the market.
Local anarcho-activist group Yuppies Out have announced a ‘Champagne Holocaust’ street party to coincide with the opening of the wine bar, where they will be offering ‘free Dairylea cheese slices and White Ace cider’ backed by live music coming from the Fat White Family, Meat Raffle and ‘whoever else wants to play.’
Yuppies Out plan Champagne and Fromage protest street party in Brixton on 11th October [date changed]

In true anarchic fashion, the date for the party seems to be somewhat in flux, but now seems to have finally settled for Friday 11th October, at 5pm.
Here’s the full text of the Facebook event (it’s quite sweary, so look away if you’re easily offended):
CHAMPAGNE HOLOCAUST STREET PARTY
As you may or may not know a dark cloud is ominously looming above the once pure skys of Brixton, this cloud is called CHAMPAGNE AND FROMAGE and from the 11th of October it will rain on us until we drown in a sea of estate agents, champagne swilling yummy mummies and the so called “fizz fiends”… c-nts! WE WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS. DEATH TO CHAMPAGNE AND FROMAGE! YUPPIES OUT!
So you the people are here by cordially invited to the official YUPPIES OUT anti champagne and fromage street party which will be timed to coincide with the opening of their new cancerous venture inside the once glorious Granville arcade.
We will be providing FREE DAIRYLEA CHEESE SLICES AND WHITE ACE CIDER, and there will be live music from the FAT WHITE FAMILY, MEAT RAFFLE and whoever else wants to come and play. THE AIM IS TO TRY AND DISTURB THE YUPPIE INFIDELS SO MUCH THAT THEY CHOKE ON THEIR RANCID FIZZ AND VINTAGE DEATH CHEESE.
NO FUCKING SURRENDER! YUPPIES OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the street party will be held just opposite the cold harbour lane entrance. date of party may be subject to change depending on when these yuppies c-nts pull there shitty fingers out. See you there comrades.

I went on the opening night as I like both Champagne and cheese. I was not deterred by the demo as I’m neither young nor upwardly mobile.

I'm struggling to think of anything more symbolic of gentrification than a pretentiously named champagne bar opening up in what was a working class market.

I presume you are referring to this: Yuppies Out plan Champagne and Fromage protest street party in Brixton on FRIDAY 11th October [date changed again]

NEWS

Yuppies Out plan Champagne and Fromage protest street party in Brixton on FRIDAY 11th October [date changed again]​

Thu 3rd October, 2013 - by Stevie SW9 - 27 Comments.
Yuppies Out plan Champagne and Fromage protest street party, 11th october

The impending arrival of the upmarket Champagne and Fromage wine bar in Granville Arcade (Brixton Village) has certainly split opinion wide open around Brixton, with some seeing it as an example of gentrification running out of control.

Yuppies Out plan Champagne and Fromage protest street party, 11th October

The champagne and nibbles store – which is expanding from its existing base in Covent Garden – declared themselves to be ‘so excited‘ about their new Brixton branch, and with the opening date now set for the 8th October, locals are preparing themselves for another huge shift in the demographic of the market.
Local anarcho-activist group Yuppies Out have announced a ‘Champagne Holocaust’ street party to coincide with the opening of the wine bar, where they will be offering ‘free Dairylea cheese slices and White Ace cider’ backed by live music coming from the Fat White Family, Meat Raffle and ‘whoever else wants to play.’
Yuppies Out plan Champagne and Fromage protest street party in Brixton on 11th October [date changed]

In true anarchic fashion, the date for the party seems to be somewhat in flux, but now seems to have finally settled for Friday 11th October, at 5pm.
Here’s the full text of the Facebook event (it’s quite sweary, so look away if you’re easily offended):
look like Cheese & Fizz have outlasted "Local anarcho-activist group Yuppies Out" anyway

Am I missing something with 'Champagne Holocaust'? Almost seems more offensive than the restaurant name.
It was the name of their first album and offending and provoking people was pretty high on their agenda when they started out, just like a million bands before them.

Fat White Family say they named their album ‘Champagne Holocaust’ after listening to Oasis, and because “it was supposed to be about the music industry”. The record is undoubtedly an antidote to the creeping conservatism in rock, typified by that photo of Haim with David Cameron. But it’s also music that’s constantly on the brink of collapsing under the weight of its own politics, poverty and vicious intent.

Back
Top Bottom