Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

And btw what I originally posted was that the origins on policing were two fold.

Both here in Britain and in colonies/ US

If my post had been read properly.

yes, you mentioned the working class, the laws brought in by Henry VIII, and enforced by constables were crucial to the formation of a working class dependant on paid labour via the threat of public torture, and on third offence, execution,, bubonic plague had made fuedalism unworkable.also please dont try and undermine me by insinuating racism...thank you....<edit>, i notice you have edied to add quite a bit to the post i am replying to but cba to engage at this point, too late.

heres some basic stuff regarding tudor poor laws.....
No rest for the wicked: Anti-vagrancy laws in Tudor England, 1495-1604

Last edited:
Anyone noticed the large (and very loud!) unlicenced music event taking place on Rushcroft Road this weekend? Interested in hearing the views of anyone living on or in the vicinity of Rushcroft - is this a problem requiring a solution or just something we go with the flow on (and invest in suitable noise-cancelling headphones)? If there's enough interest, I might start a separate thread.

70529597-12042197-She_had_been_out_to_buy_a_present_and_was_returning_home_for_a_b-m-2_1683130437637.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Condolences to the friends and family of sickle cell charity founder, The Late Johanita Dogbey.

For information: The family of local charity worker, the Late Johanita Dogbey who was killed in Brixton a week ago, have launched an appeal for assistance in relation to her burial:

70529597-12042197-She_had_been_out_to_buy_a_present_and_was_returning_home_for_a_b-m-2_1683130437637.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

In memory of Johanita Kossiwa Dogbey

Anyone noticed the large (and very loud!) unlicenced music event taking place on Rushcroft Road this weekend? Interested in hearing the views of anyone living on or in the vicinity of Rushcroft - is this a problem requiring a solution or just something we go with the flow on (and invest in suitable noise-cancelling headphones)? If there's enough interest, I might start a separate thread.
I'll take that as a 'no' then! Interesting.

Yes. It ran all afternoon until 11pm on both Saturday and Sunday. Large window-rattling sound system on the corner of Rushcroft Road. It happened last year as well for the Jubilee. On neither occasion did that many people appear to be present. I suspect that neither Lambeth nor the police wanted to get involved in shutting it down if unlicenced (which I assume it was as residents got no notification).

Yes. It ran all afternoon until 11pm on both Saturday and Sunday. Large window-rattling sound system on the corner of Rushcroft Road. It happened last year as well for the Jubilee. On neither occasion did that many people appear to be present. I suspect that neither Lambeth nor the police wanted to get involved in shutting it down if unlicenced (which I assume it was as residents got no notification).
I'm a social tenant in the Rushcroft Rd/Vining St estate and I can vouch that my household nor those neighbours I know scattered throughout our little estate were happy about this excuse to make a huge noise until 1.30am and sell jerk chicken. The chap the "Healthy Eaters" in the market is responsible (him with the white Hummer). Yes they did the same during the Platinum Jubilee. No warning. Not even a courtesy leaflet drop. One neighbour approached them during the Jubilee and was told that they were "Reclaiming Brixton". From who? The social tenants that have lived here since the flats opened in 1990? It shows a complete lack of respect, frankly and an excuse to make (more) money from jerk chicken.

This sounds very much like the bunch who used to keep Barrier Block residents up half the night.

this? seems a bit crazy. nobody even there.
Exactly. At both the Jubilee and Coronation they were mostly entertaining themselves and a few mates. The road wasn't closed on either occasion. I hope they made enough money from the jerk chicken they were selling to cover the cost of the electricity. Thankfully they only set up when on royal "street party" occasions. Hopefully there won't be any of those for a very long time (or the monarchy is scrapped which I'd be equally happy with).

I'll take that as a 'no' then! Interesting.
Saw it, stopped and had a quick beer and a chat but had other plans. People enjoyed themselves, it's not every day, keep it I perspective. You could always go and join in. The bunting and flag waving twee faux VE day street parties were more annoying and offensive.

Thanks for responses - pleased I'm not the only one who noticed it was going on!

Quick question for those who may know - is the mega sound system over the bank holiday linked to the mini (but also annoyingly loud) sound system that is erected on the corner with Coldharbour Lane where the guys are playing backgammon(?) and serving jerk chicken? This has been going on for the last three months. It's irritating for me living 100 metres away, but it must be quite bad for the people living close to the junction or the Vining Street estate.

EDIT: and just as I posted this, it sounds like they've just started up again! Last night they went on to midnight.

Saw it, stopped and had a quick beer and a chat but had other plans. People enjoyed themselves, it's not every day, keep it I perspective. You could always go and join in. The bunting and flag waving twee faux VE day street parties were more annoying and offensive.
You had the ability to walk away as you had 'other plans' and return to your peaceful and quiet home. The residents here were unable to leave a street party they didn't ask for that involved 24 hours of ear splittingly loud music over two consecutive days. Have some perspective!

When I was living in central Brixton Vining st and Rushcroft , whilst in centre of Brixton, were not imo part of the entertainment area. So it is not unreasonable that residents object to un licensed noisy street party in that part of Brixton.

Rushcroft road and Vining street is what I would call a residential area.

Also this does not sound like it was a one day thing. But went over whole bank holiday?

Last edited:
When I was living in central Brixton Vining st and Rushcroft , whilst in centre of Brixton, were not imo part of the entertainment area. So it is not unreasonable that residents object to un licensed noisy street party in that part of Brixton.

Rushcroft road and Vining street is what I would call a residential area.

Also this does not sound like it was a one day thing. But went over whole bank holiday?
Saturday and Sunday for about 9 hours each day.

I'm a social tenant in the Rushcroft Rd/Vining St estate and I can vouch that my household nor those neighbours I know scattered throughout our little estate were happy about this excuse to make a huge noise until 1.30am and sell jerk chicken. The chap the "Healthy Eaters" in the market is responsible (him with the white Hummer). Yes they did the same during the Platinum Jubilee. No warning. Not even a courtesy leaflet drop. One neighbour approached them during the Jubilee and was told that they were "Reclaiming Brixton". From who? The social tenants that have lived here since the flats opened in 1990? It shows a complete lack of respect, frankly and an excuse to make (more) money from jerk chicken.

Did anyone try the Lambeth noise service?

The twitter posted up says Lambeth not responding.

As I used to represent residents when I lived in central Brixton noise issues were increasing over time. Due to relaxation of licensing. And Brixton Challenge encouraging central Brixton to become entertainment area

At one point Lambeth cut the noise complaints service. They had to re instate as it is requirement of Council to provide it

Council officer is meant to visit and take noise reading to see if it constitutes a statutory noise complaint.

It's only then that action can be taken.

I'd also complain to local ward Cllr .

Sadly, they have started up again tonight and they are pretty loud! Bearing in mind I'm some distance away, I imagine it's pretty loud in the vicinity of Vining Street?

To answer Gramsci's point: multiple complaints have been made to the Noise Team, but they won't act without police support (understandably). And Lambeth police seem to be very reluctant to get involved. Also, this recurring problem has more of the features of an Unlicensed Music Event (UME) rather than noise nuisance as such. Apparently, UME's have become a problem across London since Covid, particularly when they're in residential areas.

I'm no fan of getting the police involved if it could be resolved another way. But this has been going on since February and it's a fucking pain in the arse!

Sadly, they have started up again tonight and they are pretty loud! Bearing in mind I'm some distance away, I imagine it's pretty loud in the vicinity of Vining Street?

To answer Gramsci's point: multiple complaints have been made to the Noise Team, but they won't act without police support (understandably). And Lambeth police seem to be very reluctant to get involved. Also, this recurring problem has more of the features of an Unlicensed Music Event (UME) rather than noise nuisance as such. Apparently, UME's have become a problem across London since Covid, particularly when they're in residential areas.

I'm no fan of getting the police involved if it could be resolved another way. But this has been going on since February and it's a fucking pain in the arse!
We had this outside the Barrier Block for decades and I dare say they'll back soon. Some of their parties would go on till 6am, sometimes with hardly anyone around.

They reached Peak Piss Take during Covid where someone organised a paid, ticketed event outside my block, complete with food stalls, bars, 'silent' disco headphones and security staff trying to stop me taking the short cut to my my flat. Naturally, the toilet facilities were provided by local bushes, trees, the wall of my block and the underground parking space.

I've never once complained but if these paid events had become a regular thing that would have tipped me over the edge.

I'm near the corner of Rushcroft & Vining and there was no sound system last night. Didn't hear a thing. Unless you are talking about the guys playing their board game who often use a (surprisingly loud) Bluetooth speaker or music from someone's car? In that case I feel for all the tenants of Rushcroft Rd living above the ice-cream shop & hair salon who immediately overlook that spot, which is quite few.

Last edited:

Having lived in central Brixton and dealt with noise issues representing local residents this is not how noise team should operate.

Given that labour council did to axe the noise team and only brought it back due to complaints to ombudsman Im not surprised its not working as before.

Anyway Noise Team has been re instated.

They do not need police support in first instance.

How it used to work was this:

You would phone to make complaint. They would visit your home and take a noise reading. If it was above a certain level it was classified as verified noise complaint.

This I felt was fair way to deal with noise issues. The bottom line is officers have to visit.

To verify a noise complaint does not mean they have to engage with who ever is doing it.

The first step is the independent verification. If they are not doing that they are not doing their job

As for the Police. Well the weekend that you had to put up with this they didn't have a problem arresting people trying to protest against the monarchy. Also at Clapham Common- the Met finest did not have a problem pushing women around.

If I was you Id take this to Helen Hayes MP. I do not think the present local Cllrs will do much.

Last edited:
I'm near the corner of Rushcroft & Vining and there was no sound system last night. Didn't hear a thing. Unless you are talking about the guys playing their board game who often use a (surprisingly loud) Bluetooth speaker or music from someone's car? In that case I feel for all the tenants of Rushcroft Rd living above the ice-cream shop & hair salon who immediately overlook that spot, which is quite few.
That's it! It can be quite variable. So Thursday, started at 7.00 and finished (surprisingly early) at about 9.00. Yesterday, started at 4.20(!) and then went on intermittently until about 12.00. The volume varies as well - the metric I normally apply is, 'can I hear it over my TV in my living room.' I think they are using a (mini) sound system rather than a car. Agree it is surprisingly loud! Bearing in mind that I live about 100m away, your point about people living in the immediate vicinity (for example, what used to be the London Hotel and I believe are now private rented rooms) is well taken. How can we get them to move on?

Having lived in central Brixton and dealt with noise issues representing local residents this is not how noise team should operate.

Given that labour council did to axe the noise team and only brought it back due to complaints to ombudsman Im not surprised its not working as before.

Anyway Noise Team has been re instated.

They do not need police support in first instance.

How it used to work was this:

You would phone to make complaint. They would visit your home and take a noise reading. If it was above a certain level it was classified as verified noise complaint.

This I felt was fair way to deal with noise issues. The bottom line is officers have to visit.

To verify a noise complaint does not mean they have to engage with who ever is doing it.

The first step is the independent verification. If they are not doing that they are not doing their job

As for the Police. Well the weekend that you had to put up with this they didn't have a problem arresting people trying to protest against the monarchy. Also at Clapham Common- the Met finest did not have a problem pushing women around.

If I was you Id take this to Helen Hayes MP. I do not think the present local Cllrs will do much.
Thanks for this response. To be fair to the Noise Team, they're set up to deal with noise nuisance in premises (usually domestic) rather than anything on the street (which can easily turn into a public order issue). They did attend the scene back in February, so they're well aware what's going on. They've simply resorted to asking people to phone 101 to try and elicit a Met response. And as we all know, 101 is probably the most useless phone number in Britain!

Thanks for this response. To be fair to the Noise Team, they're set up to deal with noise nuisance in premises (usually domestic) rather than anything on the street (which can easily turn into a public order issue). They did attend the scene back in February, so they're well aware what's going on. They've simply resorted to asking people to phone 101 to try and elicit a Met response. And as we all know, 101 is probably the most useless phone number in Britain!

They aren't doing their job. Telling you it's a genuine noise complaint and not acting on it. It should be them contacting the police. That's the whole point of the service. Once it is verified complaint the Council are supposed to act on it.

The Council website says they work in partnership with the police. And deal with unlicensed music events that are causing a problem.

If they are giving impression they are set up to deal with just domestic house that is not right.

It comes across as typical council pass the buck to someone else.

If this is going to happen in Vining street/ rushcroft road on regular basis then I think complaint to MP is in order. Saying the noise team aren't doing their job.

We work in partnership with the police to manage serious noise issues. For less serious issues we will usually contact the reported source of the noise.

Unlicensed music events can also be reported by contacting this service.

editor The pavement outside several shops taped of this,morning at 10 am including Enish and Banh Banh. Anything serious overnight?

Back
Top Bottom