Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Not sure why we should be giving out free/heavily subsidised parking with all the negatives effect of people driving in a city.
..visitor parking literally costs the provider nothing, so its how can it be subsidised.
and who's 'we' ?

Last edited:
Reactions: CH1
...parking literally costs the provider nothing, so its how can it be subsidised.
and who's 'we' ?
We is the community who’s roads they are - you’re suggesting parking on our roads should just be a free for all then if it “costs nothing”?

Here’s the market rate for parking - why should it be free on public space?

D975F620-2B67-41A7-8B20-7823E77BCD00.jpeg

We is the community who’s roads they are - you’re suggesting parking on our roads should just be a free for all then if it costs nothing?

Here’s the market rate for parking - why should it be free on public space?

View attachment 364694

market rate is set by private business as previuosly discussed on these boards
and related to this the community don't own the roads except in an abstract sense.
i'm not saying parking should be free btw, but increasing the cost of visitor permits for non drivers
is really bad for isolated and housebound people, how can you not see thats a bad thing ?

Last edited:
i'm not saying parking should be free btw, but increasing the cost of resident permits for non drivers
is really bad for isolated and housebound people, how can you not see thats a bad thing ?
Of course I can see that that doesn’t mean that it makes these whole proposals unreasonable. It’s a consultation and exactly the chance to raise issues like this.

If this is the point Gramsci was making it wasn’t clear & calling traffic wardens busy bodies is just pathetic and suggests that wasn’t their real concern.

Of course I can see that that doesn’t mean that it makes these whole proposals unreasonable. It’s a consultation and exactly the chance to raise issues like this.

If this is the point Gramsci was making it wasn’t clear & calling traffic wardens busy bodies is just pathetic and suggests that wasn’t their real concern.

...fair enough, thing with consultations is that people have lost trust and think policy is already decided.
or will answer without thinking about 'invisible' people.
i can't comment on gramsci's problems with traffic wardens but ' busy bodies' is quite a mild slur in thiis day and age.

The Lambeth parking/vehicle proposals are starting to eat themselves when non car owners, people doing the right thing, start to incur substantial costs for the odd time they need a car and instead of buying one, rent or use a taxi.
It's so nonsensical, like the initial proposal for Harborough Rd we discusssed on the LTN thread, that it's either complete incompetence when putting the plan together or total greed; this is why people are getting pissed off.
And of course it comes at a time when Lambeth are creating a lot of senior posts or topping up wages for their highest paid, so forgive the room for being cynical.

Last edited:
Having to pay really high rates for visitors permits will also start to impact negatively on already isolated communities - the disabled, the old. As a blue badge holding family we will now face a double whammy, can't go out as easily because of lack of access to LTNs, can't have company at home as easily because of high costed visitors permits. Although those with high incomes will not be as affected as they can pay.
Your road/pollution policy has to work as whole and look at all the people and issues that are affected. Generally it seems to be a hard yay from so many supporters but cars in themselves are not bad and sometimes they are necessary.

Can’t remember if this has been posted in here before but worth pointing out that this ties in with the council’s new kerbside strategy.

Can’t remember if this has been posted in here before but worth pointing out that this ties in with the council’s new kerbside strategy.

Listen - people like you have CBT to stop drinking too much or so they can get out of bed with depression to earn 100k at the BBC.
I for my part need CBT to negotiate the trials and pitfalls of being an aged gay man living in an ageing property in what was a NICE part of Coldharbour Lane until the fuckwits at Peabody started building their megalopolis on the Higgs Trading Estate. Now it look like the asshole of Manhattan.

I got this through the door this morning - email and number omitted
Jacob_cut.jpg

Nice one Jacob - but how can I be sure you won't turn it into a crack den and put me on the street?

Meanwhile Lambeth Council are no doubt looking forward to confining me in a dementia home so they can confiscate my house and auction it off cheap.
Meanwhile meanwhile I haven't had access to a washing machine since my present one went wrong immediately pre covid (over 3 years now)
AND the Loughborough Junction Laundrette "We are not a bus shelter" it says on the window doesn't take cards only cash - and the Halifax is not a bank (when it is asked to dispense coins).

AND my neighbour's tenant, who is never there, kindly got Sky to install a dish on mty shared chimney - fucking up my gutter.
dish.jpg
All I get from, people like you is - BUYING A BOOK OF PARKING TICKETS for over £20 is reasonable why not do our consultations?
I mentioned CBT - I can't even have a key worker to sort this out - because I'm over 65.

Fuck off to Lambeth Town Hall with your kerbside strategy. And let me die is squalor like a character from a Samuel Becket play!
And stick to the LTN thread please!!!!

Listen - people like you have CBT to stop drinking too much or so they can get out of bed with depression to earn 100k at the BBC.
I for my part need CBT to negotiate the trials and pitfalls of being an aged gay man living in an ageing property in what was a NICE part of Coldharbour Lane until the fuckwits at Peabody started building their megalopolis on the Higgs Trading Estate. Now it look like the asshole of Manhattan.

View attachment 364726

Nice one Jacob - but how can I be sure you won't turn it into a crack den and put me on the street?

Meanwhile Lambeth Council are no doubt looking forward to confining me in a dementia home so they can confiscate my house and auction it off cheap.
Meanwhile meanwhile I haven't had access to a washing machine since my present one went wrong immediately pre covid (over 3 years now)
AND the Loughborough Junction Laundrette "We are not a bus shelter" it says on the window doesn't take cards only cash - and the Halifax is not a bank (when it is asked to dispense coins).

AND my neighbour's tenant, who is never there, kindly got Sky to install a dish on mty shared chimney - fucking up my gutter.
View attachment 364727
All I get from, people like you is - BUYING A BOOK OF PARKING TICKETS for over £20 is reasonable why not do our consultations?
I mentioned CBT - I can't even have a key worker to sort this out - because I'm over 65.

Fuck off to Lambeth Town Hall with your kerbside strategy. And let me die is squalor like a character from a Samuel Becket play!
Sorry - you’ve completely lost me. Lots I could take offence to in there but seems like you have a fair bit going on so will leave it. Please don’t tell me where I can post especially after Gramsci was the one who said this was the correct thread.

View attachment 364726

View attachment 364727
artist ?

And

Jacob ffs.....wtf 😳

My point was completely clear.

What do you think my "real concern" was?

As your implying I have another agenda.

There is a thread about LTNs. I would appreciate it if discussion on that was kept to that thread and not dragged across threads.

My point was completely clear.

What do you think my "real concern" was?

As your implying I have another agenda.
You’re real concern seems to be about having to pay £10 for visitor permits as that’s what you said. It also sounds like you don’t use them that much as you’re also concerned about having to buy 5 at a time.

Apparently I’m also an alcoholic with a well paid job at the BBC…

And straight away you went and posted about LTN thread. Im not posting on that thread. And this is different subject to LTNs

You might want to mix them together I don't.
No I don’t - I haven’t mentioned it since, was just pointing out it was being discussed there as well in case of interest.

You’re real concern seems to be about having to pay £10 for visitor permits as that’s what you said. It also sounds like you don’t use them that much as you’re also concerned about having to buy 5 at a time.

Apparently I’m also an alcoholic with a well paid job at the BBC…

Just to be clear for other posters here I have never said your an alcoholic or work at BBC. Nor have implied it. Nor have asked what you do. Ever.

I'm finding these side swipes at me tiresome.

View attachment 364726

View attachment 364727

Hi CH1 - sorry to hear you're having a tough time right now.
Not a fix all but..

You could explore Lambeth Support Scheme for a new washing machine - going to the laundrette is always a chore - Emergency Support Scheme

Age UK Lambeth have some good services & advice for people who've made it to 65 or over.

Ignore Jacob - and don't worry about Lambeth Council too much - its better (and cheaper, cynically) to support people in the homes their familiar with so no one will be too keen for you to move from there, unless it was as a last resort.

Just to be clear for other posters here I have never said your an alcoholic or work at BBC. Nor have implied it. Nor have asked what you do. Ever.

I'm finding these side swipes at me tiresome.
Not a swipe at you.

Rest deleted as not worth it.

Last edited:
Obv not a swipe at you. Tbh I do find your attitude pretty aggressive though to anyone that disagrees with you.

In which case don't put comments like that in post directed at me. As it confuses matters. To those who skim threads it might seem like Ive been trying to find out what you do etc.

I don't do that.

If we are getting on to being aggressive I think you should go and look back at some of your recent posts here.

Hi CH1 - sorry to hear you're having a tough time right now.
Not a fix all but..

You could explore Lambeth Support Scheme for a new washing machine - going to the laundrette is always a chore - Emergency Support Scheme

Age UK Lambeth have some good services & advice for people who've made it to 65 or over.

Ignore Jacob - and don't worry about Lambeth Council too much - its better (and cheaper, cynically) to support people in the homes their familiar with so no one will be too keen for you to move from there, unless it was as a last resort.
Thank you for that post. Its really logistics issues coupled with getting stuff up and down stairs - difficult to explain if you haven't seen the place. And of course the risk of flood if something goes wrong.
But organising installation in such circumstances is not helped by permits & traffic wardens.
I was very lucky when my boiler failed some years ago to be put in touch with South Thames Gas of Railton Road whose engineer being Brixton based understood exactly the issues, which was a good as changing all the plumbing from conventional to combi took several days.

Jacob's letter was strange - but how about this?
zak.jpg
Nice to know that when you get a certain age there are people like Zak - and his old Dad (or wicked Uncle) Mike, who has been writing to me like this for several years.
I Googled Mike Berg once and the local paper in Canvey Island identified him as having pestered about 40 local people there.
Not the same firm I'm sure - but LBC listeners may have got sick of Tom Baker advertising "Property Rescue", similarly seeking to rip off pensioners and those in debt.

So to edcraw and his fans I say when life gets transactional - its not necessarily about helping "the majority" - it can also be damaging for minorities.
The last thing I want is obstacles put in my way to maintaining my house.
What do you reckon would happen if I sued the tenant next door, or Sky or the Buy to Let landlord who is collecting their rent?
Money down the drain.

I am in favour of the parking changes.

So am I. But doubling price of the ( obligatory) pack of five residents daily parking permits in CPZ zones is to my mind excessive.

And what I object to is insinuating that complaining about doubling of price means I'm a petrol head who opposes parking charges.

I'm not.

Putting it up in line with inflation ok. Understandable.

Doubling is saying to the less well off you can stuff it.

It's not like I have ever owned a car

What I find bizarre about this is it actually is penalising non car owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: CH1
So am I. But doubling price of the ( obligatory) pack of five residents in CPZ zones is to my mind excessive.

And what I object to is insinuating that complaining about doubling of price means I'm a petrol head who opposes parking charges.

I'm not.

It's saying to the less well off you can stuff it.

Not sure where anyone insinuated you’re a petrol head.

Last edited:
So am I. But doubling price of the ( obligatory) pack of five residents in CPZ zones is to my mind excessive.

I'm not.

It's saying to the less well off you can stuff it.

Doubling it in price but giving away a small number per house per year would seem fair.

It does when the mortgage has more than doubled in a few months and everything rocketed except my income. I have a 20-year-old car that I bought four years ago for 2.5K to visit my parents in their 80s and who are virtually housebound except when I can get down and take them out. When Lambeth installed the cpz we were told it was to stop commuters coming in and dumping their cars for the day. There was a small fee. Now it's a large fee increase at the same time as council salaries are ballooning.

Back
Top Bottom