Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Not sure what thread this should come under.

Its Lambeth saying they are going to consult about the development of the Pop and International House site.

Read the article. If I did not know better I would have thought that this was a Council project. London Square the developers who are going to acquire the site only come in much later in the article.

So a bit of a "spin" on this article.

What Im not clear on is what the actual relationship between London Square and the Council is in relation to working up plans leading to planning applications and development.

Who is taking the lead on this?

One plus point is that International House is to be retained. At an earlier stage the Council were saying that International House was to costly to renovate ( despite the Council using it whilst the New Town Hall development was being built. They refurbished it for Council offices)

Turns out the developers never had a problem with retaining it.

Which is interesting considering frequent argument from Lambeth is that the buildings they own are old and at end of useful life.

As London Square are going to keep it as offices I don't understand why the Council didn't keep it as affordable workspace. Unlike Pop they were getting an income from it. So it was not a drain on resources.

I did say to one of my Labour Cllrs that I was concerned about gentrification that comes with some of these "regeneration" projects. Cllr didn't take kindly to use of word gentrification. Said it was only a few individuals in Brixton who complained about it. ie minority issue.

One of my other Cllrs said to me that the Council were not selling off the Pop/ International House site.

Supposedly it is only going to be a leasehold sale not a freehold. But as far as Im concerned that is selling Council land off.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this either.
I went to the council focus group workshop at St John's Angell Town 12/1/23 pm as advertised on BBuzz.
Seemed a bit odd - kicked off by asking if "the council" should enforce heating inclusive rents to force private landlords to install climate saving technology such as heat ex changers with government grants.
Moved on to "the council" investing in energy conservation in their housing stock. (I pointed out that most of the council's housing stock had probably been subject to wholesale stock transfer or indeed right to buy applications. And hadn't they done this already - sometimes years ago.
Then went on to wind and solar farms (maybe this part was more suitable for Epsom?)
Be interesting to see if they contact me to supply the report to be discussed by the council.
Often one attends focus groups and there is no further contact.
They did supply a £20 voucher to spend - have to work out how to do this.
I preferred the days of brown paper envelopes. Though FWICR I did a Thames Water focus event once which yielded a £140 voucher.
Long live focus groups!

I have no issue with making money off parking, including those who park where they shouldn't!
But surely this is the only area in which Lambeth excel?
I'm now wondering if their parking department should manage education and social care.

Anyone fancy that Lambeth have managed to get themselves into a contract where they don’t get any of the money ?

O thought Serco was now our one stop shop for official services - from blood tests, bin men, recycling, deportation. Or am I wrong?

dunno....theres apcoa as well ( you forgot debt collection btw)
edit...i asked the local councillor this question, he didnt know the answer either.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: CH1
Yet still seems to be loads of opportunities for more enforcement - there are always cars parked on double yellows on Atlantic Road (and the whole market area is a joke on Sundays).
I always feel (as a bus passenger) that the wardens neglect the Lambeth side of Coldharbour Lane between Denmark and Caldecot Road. I daresay there is parking stress due to Kings College Hospital building on their car parks, but parking on double yellows and blocking two-way traffic on CHL is hardly the right solution.

That's the thing. They don't bother with the double parking on Acre Lane, near the pattie place and other genuine blockages. They prowl the residents zones looking for expired parking permits and the like. Abbeville etc had the sense to get lunchtime restricted parking installed rather than the 8.30 - 6.30 we have. Having seen the revenue I can see why parking wardens can get paid the same amount as full-time teachers

That's the thing. They don't bother with the double parking on Acre Lane, near the pattie place and other genuine blockages. They prowl the residents zones looking for expired parking permits and the like. Abbeville etc had the sense to get lunchtime restricted parking installed rather than the 8.30 - 6.30 we have. Having seen the revenue I can see why parking wardens can get paid the same amount as full-time teachers
I think they are afraid to deal with the people who park wherever the fuck they want as long as its as close as possible to True Flavours or New Tings, I've seen triple parking many times and also buses and emergency services unable to get through because obviously someone's takeaway lunch was far more important :facepalm:. Often customers will brazenly stay sat in their cars on Acre Lane causing congestion to leisurely polish off their food. With an attitude like that, it's no wonder the wardens dont want the hassle and abuse, and stick to the low hanging fruit in the adjacent streets, where there is a slim chance of confrontation.

I think they are afraid to deal with the people who park wherever the fuck they want as long as its as close as possible to True Flavours or New Tings, I've seen triple parking many times and also buses and emergency services unable to get through because obviously someone's takeaway lunch was far more important :facepalm:. Often customers will brazenly stay sat in their cars on Acre Lane causing congestion to leisurely polish off their food. With an attitude like that, it's no wonder the wardens dont want the hassle and abuse, and stick to the low hanging fruit in the adjacent streets, where there is a slim chance of confrontation.
the behaviour by these cunts is a fucking joke. Just because they don't want to walk a little bit.

The nearest free parking at that time of day is Tescos
lol
so what's that max - 10 mins walk?
nah - fuck it - just park in the street - not worry about anyone else or as people have stated in this thread, emergency vehicles or buses trying to get past?

lol
so what's that max - 10 mins walk?
nah - fuck it - just park in the street - not worry about anyone else or as people have stated in this thread, emergency vehicles or buses trying to get past?

I’m not saying it’s ok, but it is logical

Sign of the times. Was in a very slow queue to get out of a car park today. At some point someone - in the standard flash looking but not too expensive German lease (probably) car - just sped down the wrong way of the road and then forced his way back into a tiny gap between cars in our lane further up. What a cunt.

I don’t think they do - using cameras for parking enforcement was banned in 2014

Friend of mine who has a business in Brixton got a ticket. He had reversed into entrance of a street to turn his van. They sent photo saying this was an infringement as that road onto Atlantic road was no entry at that time.

Even though it was clear from the photo that he had only reversed to turn around the camera automatically gave him a ticket.

What Ive heard is that the CCTV cameras in central Brixton are operated with people looking at the cameras all day.

I remember when CCTV was brought in. We were promised ( I asked) it was only for public safety / crime prevention.

Of course it was to tempting for Councils to leave it at that.

I suppose this does not classify as parking enforcement as such. It does constitute using CCTV not for what it was first put up for.

Which was public safety/ crime.

Friend of mine who has a business in Brixton got a ticket. He had reversed into entrance of a street to turn his van. They sent photo saying this was an infringement as that road onto Atlantic road was no entry at that time.

Even though it was clear from the photo that he had only reversed to turn around the camera automatically gave him a ticket.

What Ive heard is that the CCTV cameras in central Brixton are operated with people looking at the cameras all day.

I remember when CCTV was brought in. We were promised ( I asked) it was only for public safety / crime prevention.

Of course it was to tempting for Councils to leave it at that.

I suppose this does not classify as parking enforcement as such. It does constitute using CCTV not for what it was first put up for.

Which was public safety/ crime.
I know we’re not meant to mention them here but this sounds like it was for going through the LTN filter rather than parking or am I missing something?

Back
Top Bottom