Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Here's some:

flyby-june-2022-01.jpg

flyby-june-2022-03.jpg

flyby-june-2022-05.jpg

flyby-june-2022-12.jpg

flyby-june-2022-15.jpg

Last I checked it was 2022, not 1980. TFL need to make savings. The 45 is covered by people changing buses, no extra cost as there’s a hopper fare

So that's alright then. Next time I use the bus service in CHL where I live I remember that. Thanks.

So that's alright then. Next time I use the bus service in CHL where I live I remember that. Thanks.
CH1 and others might be interested to learn these cuts are still subject to public consultation
cynics may scoff ....but here is the link fwiw

That’s the point though, no one is using these services, many of these routes have been in decline since 2014 and you have alternatives.

That’s the point though, no one is using these services, many of these routes have been in decline since 2014 and you have alternatives.

What I've read of the TFL doc is that government is insisting as part of the pandemic bailout that TFL cut services.

The TFL is going to try and make the best of this. But this is about the Tories hating TFL.

It's not about needed adjustments to the bus system. Reading some of it and overall people's journey times could increase. The TFL state in intro to the consultation that bus stops might have to be improved as more interchanges take place

The Government set a number of conditions before it would provide emergency funding to enable TfL to keep operating, including requiring us to produce a plan to set out how we would achieve significant financial savings. This plan included reducing the extent of our bus network.

I can't see these cuts as anything but Tory compelled cuts that wouldn't have taken place otherwise.

Also TFL,

Buses are the backbone of our transport network and are critically important to reducing car use, congestion, road danger and pollution.

I don't see how Tory imposed cuts is going to help the above.

And out of interest how do you make out that less buses will improve congestion?

Give us a link then.
It was contained within the press release

TfL seeks views on reshaping the central and inner London bus network​

01 June 2022

While buses remain the most popular form of transport in London, demand on many central and inner London bus routes has reduced. Ridership on some routes has been declining since 2014, and by 2019 passenger levels had fallen by nine per cent as improvements to rail services and walking and cycling infrastructure provided new alternatives, especially in central and inner London

It was contained within the press release

TfL seeks views on reshaping the central and inner London bus network​

01 June 2022

While buses remain the most popular form of transport in London, demand on many central and inner London bus routes has reduced. Ridership on some routes has been declining since 2014, and by 2019 passenger levels had fallen by nine per cent as improvements to rail services and walking and cycling infrastructure provided new alternatives, especially in central and inner London
That doesn't say ridership on route 45 had been declining.

It's also a rather selective quote. The whole of the press release is here

And actually makes fairly clear that this is primarily aimed at reducing costs.

That doesn't say ridership on route 45 had been declining.

It's also a rather selective quote. The whole of the press release is here

And actually makes fairly clear that this is primarily aimed at reducing costs.
Being selective is essentially what everyone is doing, depending on their point of view

Being selective is essentially what everyone is doing, depending on their point of view
Ok, but I'm trying to find what information your point of view is based on. You said London has "way too many buses" and that "no-one is using them".

That just isn't true as far as I can see.

It may be that numbers are declining on some routes, but this seems mainly to apply to central London routes. It isn't necessarily a justification for abandoning routes such as the 45. And a 9% reduction doesn't amount to "no-one" using the buses.

If you have numbers specific to the 45 I'd be interested in seeing them.

It's also worth remembering that TfL already had to cut services post 2015 when its funding was cut at that point.

I think it would be important to understand decline in ridership in the context of cuts in service that happened at the same time.

If you make a service worse, and then less people use it, then that's not evidence that it wasn't useful or necessary.

I don’t have specific information relating to the 45, I’m assuming TFL do as that’s why it’s been targeted. It’s not just the buses where usage is down, it applies to the trains as well. Pre-pandemic I used to work in an office, commute most days by public transport and have a season ticket. During the pandemic, we switched to working from home and this is now permanent. Our office space is vastly reduced so we have the odd days in but all that revenue which used to go to TFL has gone and that is reflected across the country but particularly London. Cuts are coming, you might save the odd bus route but you can’t stop the changing way that we work and live.

I don’t have specific information relating to the 45, I’m assuming TFL do as that’s why it’s been targeted. It’s not just the buses where usage is down, it applies to the trains as well. Pre-pandemic I used to work in an office, commute most days by public transport and have a season ticket. During the pandemic, we switched to working from home and this is now permanent. Our office space is vastly reduced so we have the odd days in but all that revenue which used to go to TFL has gone and that is reflected across the country but particularly London. Cuts are coming, you might save the odd bus route but you can’t stop the changing way that we work and live.
That's all true but may or may not be relevant to the majority of bus users.

That's all true but may or may not be relevant to the majority of bus users.
That could be true too but if I’m the mayor or TFL and I need to make savings, politically I can spin reducing buses, alternatives, hopper fare etc instead of for instance, closing the bakerloo line permanently (which I think is potentially an option) but politically a much harder sell.

That could be true too but if I’m the mayor or TFL and I need to make savings, politically I can spin reducing buses, alternatives, hopper fare etc instead of for instance, closing the bakerloo line permanently (which I think is potentially an option) but politically a much harder sell.
Well, yes it's spin.

But I thought you were saying previously that it's a response to declining demand.

I would just comment that the 45 on its present route has existed since 2019.
From 1990 to 2019 it used to go from Clapham Park Atkins Rd - Kings Cross via Blackfriars and Greys Inn Road.
As it happens I did use it from Coldharbour Lane to Kings Cross 2000-2003 because I regularly took a train from Kings Cross to see my Dad in his late seventies before he died.
I also used to use the 45 on Sunday mornings quite often to go to Conway Hall in Holborn.
I would agree that from what I saw the Elesphant & Castle to Kings Cross section was underused even 20 years ago.
But that bit was discontinued in the custs in 2019.

Seems like the Tories, not satisfied with pruning back now want to kill it entirely - maybe still using the old statistics?

I would just comment that the 45 on its present route has existed since 2019.
From 1990 to 2019 it used to go from Clapham Park Atkins Rd - Kings Cross via Blackfriars and Greys Inn Road.
As it happens I did use it from Coldharbour Lane to Kings Cross 2000-2003 because I regularly took a train from Kings Cross to see my Dad in his late seventies before he died.
I also used to use the 45 on Sunday mornings quite often to go to Conway Hall in Holborn.
I would agree that from what I saw the Elesphant & Castle to Kings Cross section was underused even 20 years ago.
But that bit was discontinued in the custs in 2019.

Seems like the Tories, not satisfied with pruning back now want to kill it entirely - maybe still using the old statistics?
Possibly but ultimately if the DfT are demanding changes in return for funding, it’s a moot point about who is making the transport cuts.TFL make the local decisions.

Back
Top Bottom