Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

Then surely the answer is what about those without cars?

I feel like I'm missing something.
The point about cars was not to detract from the accessibility problem for everyone.
It was an additional point to show how it provides a deterrent for those who then could choose to opt out of public transport.

The bus stop thing ought to be dealt with in the meantime by providing some kind of signage at the tube exit and at the closed bus stop that explains clearly where the alternative stops are (ie the other central brixton ones, not the Currys one).

Brixton is supposed to be a transport interchange so things should be designed for people who don't necessarily know the local area. It's a completely reasonable expectation that if you exit a tube station there will be centrally located well lit bus stops within a short walking distance. The Currys one is no good as an alternative to the Ritzy one.

I don’t quite get why there isn’t room for all the buses to stop along the road outside the tube, especially after any COVID reasons.

66A15523-1162-4CD4-991C-E01573CB2B4C.jpeg

Reactions: CH1
There used to be 2 lanes of traffic plus a bus / bus stop lane:

Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 18.53.45.jpg

Now there is just one regular lane, a bus lane and then the "build-out" bus stop section.

Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 18.54.37.jpg

As I understand it, as well as giving more pedestrian space, part of the idea of those built out stops is that the buses don't have to pull in and then wait to pull out again into busy general traffic. They stop within the flow, and can then carry straight on without delay.

But I can see that this might not work so well when you've got loads of buses stopping because they still have to get around each other, so then they are wanting to pull out into the "regular" traffic lane.

I haven't really examined exactly how things work just there, post alteration, though.

Has there been any update on re-opening of the bus stop?
And given all the unexpected work on utilities mean that they have managed to find a way to replace all of the blown light bulbs in the fancy lighting installed at the time of the landscaping of the square?
Yes, another leaflet on Nov 5. More discoveries of unrecorded cables. Bus stop to reopen on Nov 30th. "Substantial completion before the Christmas period". No mention of the lights.

A police officer rang me the other day to say they were telling people not to skateboard in Windrush Sq, which is something I dialled 101 about. I asked him about the gaggle of dealers in front of the cultural archives and the users occupying the doorways in Rushcroft Rd. He says the road is much better since residents installed a camera in one of the doorways. That was done years ago...if that's the only crumb of comfort he can give...

Even for you - that's fucking stupid.
Grow up.

Couldn't give a fucking shit how old you are or what you've reported to have done.
Bringing Sarah Everard into a discussion when it has zero relevancy is crass and insensitive.

Education and awareness - the irony.

wtf Mr paulee...some of your iconoclastic postings are thought provoking and grist to
the mill of discussion but what you’re doing here is a bit fkin bleak tbh....

Pointless asking anyone to think of solutions or walk to another bus stop.

Easier just whine and cry about petty inconvenience.

There has been no work on the lights, and I think one or two more buibs have failed - the south side (outside BCA) is now really dark. Lambeth's indifference to public safety is quite surprising. I implore my fellow Urbanites to register your dissatisfaction, using:

fixmystreet.com

and

TandHCallCentre@lambeth.gov.uk

Lambeth really only reacts when it is publicly embarrassed, which is why fixmystreet is indispensable, as it displays a publicly-visible database of problems. I have called Lambeth in the past to ask about progress on streetlighting faults, and been told to put in a Freedom of Information Act request ! Lambeth prefers you to contact them directly, so that the fault reports can be absorbed and concealed, thus sparing it public embarrassment.

Last edited:
Windrush square's upkeep and maintenance is not my responsibility. If it was I wouldn't have put massive ugly blocks of concrete around it, nor planned to replace them with expensive bollards. I certainly wouldn't allow a bus stop to be closed for an extended time (how long has it been now?). I wouldn't have planted grass with no plan to water it, nor dig it up and returf it , only to then allow tons of untidy builders crap to be stored on that small bit of greenery.

Solutions?
Complain to Lambeth council? The council needs to be reminded that safety and accessibility of public spaces is their job. Does anyone here know if maintenance of the square is outsourced?

Public spaces were people don't feel safe quickly become unused and places were crime florish.

I would like to remind everyone that the square was designed to be inclusive with the layout and furnishing itself planned to encourage public use but discourage unsociable behaviour. The council seems to have forgotten that original vision and I think they need to be reminded. I urge everyone here to write to the local councillors to complain.

Not that I look to this local rumours and gossip forum to run public spaces. I do find it useful in guaging the opinions of the local community though and recent debate have underlined that some men are as unaware of issues around women's safety as they were in my youth.

There has been no work on the lights, and I think one or two more bugs have failed - the south side (outside BCA) is now really dark. Lambeth's indifference to public safety is quite surprising. I implore my fellow Urbanites to register your dissatisfaction, using:

fixmystreet.com

and

Lambeth really only reacts when it is publicly embarrassed, which is why fixmystreet is useful, as it holds a publicly-accessible database of problems. I have called Lambeth in the past to ask about progress on streelighting faults, and been told to put in a Freedom of Information Act request ! Lambeth prefers you to contact them directly, so that the fault reports can be absorbed and hidden, sparing them embarrassment.
Thank you for this.
Workable solution. 👍🏻

Pointless asking anyone to think of solutions or walk to another bus stop.

Easier just whine and cry about petty inconvenience.
It's not a petty inconvenience if you are standing at a bus stop at night in the dark waiting for a bus and a creepy guy decides to approach and starts asking the usual nonsense - where have you been,where are you going, do you have a boyfriend, do you live round here, etc etc. Which is a situation most women can relate to.

You're somewhat tied to the bus stop, hopeing the bus comes soon and you can jump on (and he doesn't follow).

If its a well lit, busy bus stop, you can give people around you the side-glance for some back up, or maybe someone will step in to give some support, or maybe it's a busy enough place with enough witnesses, to enable you to feel able to tell him you're feeling tired & don't want chat (or just to fuck off) without fear of reprisals.

If you're stuck in that situation on your own, I a dark place, and that bus you're longing to turn up sails past its so much more stressful.

It's not a petty inconvenience if you are standing at a bus stop at night in the dark waiting for a bus and a creepy guy decides to approach and starts asking the usual nonsense - where have you been,where are you going, do you have a boyfriend, do you live round here, etc etc. Which is a situation most women can relate to.

You're somewhat tied to the bus stop, hopeing the bus comes soon and you can jump on (and he doesn't follow).

If its a well lit, busy bus stop, you can give people around you the side-glance for some back up, or maybe someone will step in to give some support, or maybe it's a busy enough place with enough witnesses, to enable you to feel able to tell him you're feeling tired & don't want chat (or just to fuck off) without fear of reprisals.

If you're stuck in that situation on your own, I a dark place, and that bus you're longing to turn up sails past its so much more stressful.
Which is pretty much the situation my friend found herself in recently.

There has been no work on the lights, and I think one or two more bugs have failed - the south side (outside BCA) is now really dark. Lambeth's indifference to public safety is quite surprising. I implore my fellow Urbanites to register your dissatisfaction, using:

fixmystreet.com

and

Lambeth really only reacts when it is publicly embarrassed, which is why fixmystreet is useful, as it holds a publicly-accessible database of problems. I have called Lambeth in the past to ask about progress on streelighting faults, and been told to put in a Freedom of Information Act request ! Lambeth prefers you to contact them directly, so that the fault reports can be absorbed and hidden, sparing them embarrassment.
editor would be of use for this to be buzzed ?
Get some pressure applied to Lambeth/ TFL.
Be proactive rather than reactive.

I think every woman can relate to this.

I used to walk to that stop in windrush square from the one near iceland in the evenings and the streets were awash with party goers spilling out the tube. There were more buses going to herne hill from the same stop ie 37, 196, 3 which otherwise leave from 3 different stops.

Now I don't go out much and am afraid of uses buses post pandemic so it doesnt directly affect me atm. I think the presence of a bus stop and people waiting there day or night helps the place seem less isolated and more friendly.

. I asked him about the gaggle of dealers in front of the cultural archives and the users occupying the doorways in Rushcroft Rd. He says the road is much better since residents installed a camera in one of the doorways. That was done years ago...if that's the only crumb of comfort he can give...

Now have same problem at Brixton Rec. Group of dealers have decided to situate themselves at bottom of the ramp entrance to the Rec/ sit on the steps. They have been politely asked not to and ignored this.

They arent the older street drinkers who don't bother people that much. But new younger group.

Cllr know, police have been inforned. Nothing is done. It's causing some problems for the Rec which is trying to encourage people back.

I doubted it at first but it is happening. Saw it today Sunday afternoon in broad daylight.

I can cope with it. But for others I can understand it not what one wants to deal with if your going to the Rec.

Last edited:
Very touching to see those born this in this century paying tribute to those who served in the lastView attachment 296301

It is certainly good to see children and others at the African & Caribbean War Memorial in Windrush Square remembering those who refused to be whitewashed out of British history:

FELO5ibXwAEvvj7

(Source: Nadine White)

FEKKeelX0AkTWqf

(Source: Cllr Sonia Winifred, Cabinet Member for Equalities and Culture, Lambeth Council)

FEKgnW-XoAA5-9q

(Source: Bell Ribeiro-Addy MP (Streatham))

FELNcdXXMAUBt3I

(Source: Helen Hayes MP (Dulwich & West Norwood)

It's important to remember soldiers from the Caribbean and Africa's role in WW1 and WW2. But Im not happy with way it's been mixed up with the Royal British Legion poppy.

This was for the British Empire. Which had colonised Caribbean and Africa. It wasn't for the Commonwealth.

There was not whole hearted support for fighting for the British Empire.

Example was reading about Elma Francois from Trinidad,

She, along with fellow party members Jim Barrette, Clement Payne had publicly disagreed with the showing of solidarity to the British Crown on the grounds that the Western allies had allowed the rise of Hitler as a counter to Stalin in the Soviet Union. It was only when Hitler turned on them that they mobilised militarily to defend themselves and in the process drew in colonials, whom they otherwise discriminated against racially, to fight and die with them in their war. There certainly was a strong thread of anti-British sentiment at first; several leading calypsonians [folk singers] sang against the war and in his autobiography Through a maze of Colour Albert Gomes noted that cinema crowds cheered when film clips showed the British being defeated by Nazi forces.

Now have same problem at Brixton Rec. Group of dealers have decided to situate themselves at bottom of the ramp entrance to the Rec/ sit on the steps. They have been politely asked not to and ignored this.

They arent the older street drinkers who don't bother people that much. But new younger group.

Cllr know, police have been inforned. Nothing is done. It's causing some problems for the Rec which is trying to encourage people back.

I doubted it at first but it is happening. Saw it today Sunday afternoon in broad daylight.

I can cope with it. But for others I can understand it not what one wants to deal with if your going to the Rec.
The walkway at the rec is very bad at the moment. Lots of young dealers at the entrance and people shooting up on the ramp.
The station is particularly bad at the moment too.

Half a mile? What a load of nonsense.

37 stop just up from McDonalds on Acre lane
3 stop down by Police station
196 in front of Academy

All well lit and on main thoroughfares.

Back
Top Bottom