Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat

The loons were on the march

In photos: small anti-vaxx march saunters down Coldharbour Lane

In photos: small anti-vaxx march saunters down Coldharbour Lane

They all look like ‘experts’ 🙄

It was nothing to do with the council was it? It’s 81 acts of exuberance who consulted residents of the block on whether they wanted it.

They said no, and then I imagine the logistical complications reinforced the fact it was never going to happen. It was never planned - it was a strange idea mooted and then dropped as far as I can see.

The petition was a whole bunch of right wing culture war loons not local to the area.

But I see you are just quoting this

Brixton riots mural shelved after locals complain it's too controversial
The pushy Brixton Project again fail to read the room.

Was it those clowns again? Jeez.
‘81 Acts have partnered with a number of Brixton based and national facing cultural and civic organisations including The Brixton Project to realise the programme.’

It'd be interesting to make a venn diagram on how these various agencies, creatives and organisations overlap, who is behind them and how they’re funded. I'll do some research.

Last edited:
‘81 Acts have partnered with a number of Brixton based and national facing cultural and civic organisations including The Brixton Project to realise the programme.’

It'd be interesting to make a venn diagram on how these various agencies, creatives and organisations overlap, who is behind them and how they’re funded. I'll do some research.
They’ve approached us about a mural on the side of our house but it’s all gone quiet recently.

Allan Wilmot, a regular speaker on 1940s Caribbean migration to the UK, including at many events organised by The Windrush Foundation in and around Brixton, died unexpectedly, but peacefully, on 20 October 2021 at the age of 96.

FCIgx80XsAI_rtt

(Source: Twitter)

On 16 April 2019 he received the ‘Certificate of Recognition’ from the then Mayor of Lambeth for his voluntary work in the borough.

Allan Wilmot, a regular speaker on 1940s Caribbean migration to the UK, including at many events organised by The Windrush Foundation in and around Brixton, died unexpectedly, but peacefully, on 20 October 2021 at the age of 96.

FCIgx80XsAI_rtt

(Source: Twitter)

On 16 April 2019 he received the ‘Certificate of Recognition’ from the then Mayor of Lambeth for his voluntary work in the borough.

Respect.

Glad it was peaceful.

What an amazing life lived.

What an amazing man.

I just googled his name and found this :

Allan Wilmot - Windrush Foundation

Anybody heard anything about the "Bidders Day" at

Growing Brixton’s Rec Quarter – 49 Brixton Station Road and 6 Canterbury Crescent​

due 30th October I believe.
"The community" has been invited, though mo obvious signs of how or who in the council web pages.
They do have this Matthew Bennett special though https://lambethnow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Growing-Brixtons-Rec-Quarter-MOI.pdf

I have. One has to sign a confidentiality agreement to attend. So personally I'm not keen. Waiting for clarification on that.

I don't understand why there is one as invite states the bidders will only be talking in general terms. Not about any proposals for the site.

Reactions: CH1
The Black Cultural Archives, based in Brixton’s Windrush Square, is to have a new managing director. Current director Arike Oke will step down at the end of this month.

Her successor will be Lisa Anderson, who will join BCA as interim managing director on 6 December.

Odd that they're struggling. It's not as if they have much competition. How do they compare to healthfood shops in other areas? Or is the problem that supermarkets are stocking more and more healthfood products?

Hello!

I'm currently writing a book on London pubs and the story behind their names.

I'm going to include the Atlantic (Dog) and I was wondering if anyone knew the reason behind the choice of the name Dogstar for the pub when it reopened in 1995? My Internet searches brought me here as there were several other interesting articles about the pub on the website.

(As my username suggests I wish I was also able to ask about the Hero of Switzerland but I know that is sadly no more - great pub sign though...)

Hello!

I'm going to include the Atlantic (Dog) and I was wondering if anyone knew the reason behind the choice of the name Dogstar for the pub when it reopened in 1995? My Internet searches brought me here as there were several other interesting articles about the pub on the website.

(As my username suggests I wish I was also able to ask about the Hero of Switzerland but I know that is sadly no more - great pub sign though...)

For some reason I’ve always thought it was a reference to DH Lawrence & the Southern reference alluding to South London but not actually sure if that’s true.

The wonderful Southern night-sky that makes a man feel so lonely, alien: with Orion standing on his head in the west, and his sword-belt upside down, and his Dog-star prancing in mid-heaven, high above him; and with the Southern Cross insignificantly mixed in with the other stars, democratically inconspicuous.

Hello!

I suspect it was just a trendy sounding name. As an aside, it's been suggested the company Antic who have owned the building for many years, took their name from the Atlantic.

I wrote this a while ago:

I suspect it was just a trendy sounding name. As an aside, it's been suggested the company Antic who have owned the building for many years, took their name from the Atlantic.

Not sure about that. The developer-cum-publican Anthony Thomas's first company was Black Ant who you might remember from the eviction of residents on Blenheim Gardens about five years ago.

Hello!

It‘s in Henry Miller’s ‘Sexus’ (published in 1949) which is also where Keanu Reeves‘ band got it’s name from (1991). There’s also Stan Brakhage who made a film called Dog Star Man in 1964. So was it Henry, Stan, DH or Keanu who provided the inspiration?

It was that excellent article which brought me to this forum to ask the question.

I also emailed Antic directly who told me you'd be the best person to ask as they didn't know either.

I was curious if they'd been any articles at the time it opened where the guy gave some explanation behind the name but it doesn't sound like it.

It‘s in Henry Miller’s ‘Sexus’ (published in 1949) which is also where Keanu Reeves‘ band got it’s name from (1991). There’s also Stan Brakhage who made a film called Dog Star Man in 1964. So was it Henry, Stan, DH or Keanu who provided the inspiration?
Sirius is also mentionned by Robert Anton WIlson and Philip K Dick, so who knows?

Odd that they're struggling. It's not as if they have much competition. How do they compare to healthfood shops in other areas? Or is the problem that supermarkets are stocking more and more healthfood products?
I imagine their footfall fell considerably during the lockdowns, and also when they were restricted to four people in the shop at a time.

I imagine their footfall fell considerably during the lockdowns, and also when they were restricted to four people in the shop at a time.
I feel dreadfully sad for them, but in recent years they’ve felt more and more like a relic from a bygone era. When I first turned veggie in the late 80s I would go to shops like this for pulses, grains, organic veg, and the like - all of which can now be found everywhere. Even biodegradable soap refills are available at a couple of other places hereabouts. Fresher herbs and spices can be found at Nour, and even oddities like Tartex pâté and TVP chunks (neither of which I’ve touched for well over a decade) are in Holland & Barrett.

In a world where wholefoods and diverse global ingredients are now commonplace, I wonder how they’ve been hanging on.

Plus - I hate to say - they are pricey, and they can be slow and quite rude sometimes.

All that aside, I hope they make it.

Back
Top Bottom