Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Autumn 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody going to this ( CH1 friendofdorothy ? ) could maybe mention Pearl Alcock's place in history of Brixton.
Pearl’s a Zinger! – The Brixton Society
Particularly as a photo of her is currently profile photo of Brixton Library Facebook page
Brixton Library
The exhibition of her work in Manchester and recreation of her Shebeen on Thurs 28th Nov could also be mentioned , although it will be very short notice for anybody to get there from London , there maybe some people at Library on Tues ( and/or on here ) who have contacts in Manchester - if you do please share.
Hopefully exhibition will come to London next year.
Thursday Lates | Whitworth Art Gallery

Anybody going to this ( CH1 friendofdorothy ? ) could maybe mention Pearl Alcock's place in history of Brixton.
Pearl’s a Zinger! – The Brixton Society
Particularly as a photo of her is currently profile photo of Brixton Library Facebook page
Brixton Library
The exhibition of her work in Manchester and recreation of her Shebeen on Thurs 28th Nov could also be mentioned , although it will be very short notice for anybody to get there from London , there maybe some people at Library on Tues ( and/or on here ) who have contacts in Manchester - if you do please share.
Hopefully exhibition will come to London next year.
Thursday Lates | Whitworth Art Gallery
Do you fancy writing a short piece on her for Buzz?

I know advertising isn’t a favoured industry round here, but here’s an interesting looking local organisation offering free courses and some financial support.

https://brixtonfinishingschool.org/our-mission/

they’ve got a lot of reputable industry sponsors and partners and it looks like it leads to work in the industry.
The name is painful but as far as I can see they do some good work.

I came across the seeing a graduate getting a good job at a company I know so it obviously works! For some at least
Brixton definitely needs more mentorship schemes. I've looked around several times to see if there's anything I could get involved with but soime up blank so far. I'm not saying I'd be the greatest mentor but I do have some hands on experience in the arts/creative industry that I think may be of some use to someone!

Some pics from last night:

brixton-village-nov-2019-01.jpg

brixton-village-nov-2019-02.jpg

brixton-village-nov-2019-05.jpg

brixton-village-nov-2019-15.jpg

In photos: Brixton Village Courtyard Sessions with the Grassroots Band, Thurs 21st Nov 2019

KW19WTT - 2019 Mercedes-Benz S 350 D L AMG Executive A

Left in the middle of Gresham Road beside the police station
The police had the windows broken, boot open and a dog sniffing around it shortly after 9.

Presumably just broken down....

I’d guess a 2019 merc being left in the middle of Gresham Road was stolen rather than just a broken down car the owners had deliberately left there

The Merc cost someone over £ 80,000 may be they were so smashed they just had to get out and walk.
Created a whole lot of grief for the MPS.

Saddened to learn that Clinton (who lived in Southwyck House) died last week. Thought I'd share this here in case anyone else knew him.

2019-11-24_192326.jpg

Got the Green party literature today.

I'm in Helen Hayes constituency. A Remainer Labour party MP.

As part of LD and Green party pact LD have stood aside so Green party can undermine Labour party vote. In a seat where the MP has made it clear she is Remain.

The Green party are trying to unseat a Remain Labour party MP.

What a load of bollox.

Green party have been stupid to sign themselves up to Tory lite Swinson effort to get rid of Corbyn.

For Tory lite politicians like Swinson a left government is worse than Brexit.

Swinson and LDs will do everything to stop Brexit except work with a left leader of Labour party.

Btw the Labour party position is another referendum. So I don't understand what Bartlley is going on about.

Its all about getting rid of Corbyn and all he represents as a turn to the left.

Like appalling policies of renationialing BT.

As FT said McDonnell is a Trotskyite.

Can't have these people running the country.

Nor can we have those people who support them having a say in this country.

Why can't we have return to the sensible middle ground?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Right but no one thinks that Hayes is going to lose Dulwich and West Norwood so it doesn't really matter whether the Greens stand or not. Or whether the Lib Dems pull out. Furthermore, the Lib Dems haven't endorsed the Greens in Dulwich so far as I know and the Greens haven't endorsed the Lib Dems over the border in Bermondsey. I suspect that this will be like 2017 where the Tories get a distant second as Hayes will suck up most of the Lib Dem vote there as most of it probably won't go to Bartley.

I would imagine the Greens got another clear run at a seat somewhere else that is more important (Brighton at least?). I think locally they're playing the longer game - using this election to work on their Dulwich council targets in both the Southwark/Lambeth bits of Dulwich and West Norwood.

By contrast, a friend lives out in Oxfordshire where the Lib Dems won a surprise victory off the Tories in 2017 and where the Greens stood down for them in exchange for the Lib Dems standing aside in a council seat in 2018. They even were on each other's leaflets in 2018 and they both won the relevant seats.

Last edited:
Btw the LD position is now no second referendum but just revoke article 50.

That isn't true though. Their policy is a referendum - as it has been for several years - but to revoke if they get an absolute majority of seats. Which wasn't likely when they made the policy and isn't likely now. I've had about a million Lib Dem brexit leaflets through my door this last month but I guess you don't get them in Dulwich & West Norwood.

Jo’s Plan for the Future - this is what it says

The election of a Liberal Democrat majority government on a clear stop Brexit platform will provide a democratic mandate to stop this mess, revoke Article 50 and stay in the EU. In other circumstances, we will continue to fight for a people’s vote with the option to stay in the EU, and in that vote we would passionately campaign to keep the UK in the EU.

Right but no one thinks that Hayes is going to lose Dulwich and West Norwood so it doesn't really matter whether the Greens stand or not. Or whether the Lib Dems pull out. Furthermore, the Lib Dems haven't endorsed the Greens in Dulwich so far as I know and the Greens haven't endorsed the Lib Dems over the border in Bermondsey. I suspect that this will be like 2017 where the Tories get a distant second as Hayes will suck up most of the Lib Dem vote there as most of it probably won't go to Bartley.

I would imagine the Greens got another clear run at a seat somewhere else that is more important (Brighton at least?). I think locally they're playing the longer game - using this election to work on their Dulwich council targets in both the Southwark/Lambeth bits of Dulwich and West Norwood.

By contrast, a friend lives out of Oxfordshire where the Lib Dems won a surprise victory off the Tories in 2017 and where the Greens stood down for them in exchange for the Lib Dems standing aside in a council seat in 2018. They even were on each other's leaflets in 2018 and they both won the relevant seats.

The Greens election literature says the following:

"The Green party is the only Remain party standing in Dulwich and West Norwood, the Lib Dems have stood aside for Jonathan Bartley so a Remain MP can be elected here "

The LDs have endorsed the Green candidate.

This is total bollox.

Helen Hayes is Remain.

Its understandable to target Leave MPs. But Helen Hayes isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom